bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can man bless GOD  (Read 4551 times)

DEJI

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Can man bless GOD
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »

I have often heard an exchange between "christians" that goes thus:
speaker 1   how are you doing ?
speaker 2   fine, I bless God.
I have always found it very odd, I wonder what it is that man can possibly bless God with.
Can anyone please enlighten me with scripture to back it up ?

Joel

Re: Can man bless GOD
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »

Hi DEJI,
One definition of bless is, "To speak gratefully of him for his kindness." (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary)
There are many scriptures especially in the Psalms that are similar to that definition.
Psalms 66:8- O bless our God, ye people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard:
Psalms 34:1- I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalms 96:2- Sing unto the Lord, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.
Psalms 103:1- BLESS the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me , bless his holy name.

I can't speak for others as to why they are saying what they say, but that is my understanding of a scriptural background for that language.
Psalms 103 is the one that comes to my mind first, and I hear it more often.

Joel

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 03:46:38 PM »

Leonard Nimoy, (Dr. Spock), also devised the Vulcan Salute consisting of a raised hand, palm forward with the fingers parted between the middle and ring finger. It is said to be based on the traditional kohanic blessing, which is performed with both hands, thumb to thumb in this position; a position thought to represent the Hebrew letter shin. (This letter is often used as a symbol of God in Judaism, as it is an abbreviation for God's name Shaddai. This usage is seen, for example, on every mezuzah.)

Leonard Nimoy may also have derived the accompanying spoken blessing, "Live long and prosper" from this source, as the last phrase of the blessing is "May the Lord be forbearing unto you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)."

http://kofh2u.tripod.com/id24.html

DEJI

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »

Thanks for the illumination Joel but couldn't they have just said "I thank God".

Joel

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »

Yes they could just as well have said "I thank God."
The scriptures however are inspired of God.
The things people say today are harder to decipher, and no doubt some are nothing more than habit.
I have voiced thanks to God at times myself in all sincerity.
I have been annoyed at some preachers over the years that constantly use sing song phrases in front of a congregation of people.

Joel

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.