bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Financial Assistance  (Read 8696 times)

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Financial Assistance
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »

I think we have to make that discernment in Scripture as to WHO the words are directed to. Jesus many time spoke harsh words towards the Pharisees, but He did NOT do so towards His disciples.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Jesus said to Peter, "Get thee behind me, Satan..."  Matt 16:23  Mark 8:33  Luke 4:8

Jesus sounds a little tough to me.  Maybe even a little harsh?

Might be best to know the Scriptures before judging someone who just quoted the Scriptures.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »

John,

Don't lose sight of the fact that no one is suggesting we go out into public and say our prayers in the streets or be like the hypocrits; That we say our prayers out loud in the restaurents before we eat, that we go over to a neighbors and pray out loud, that we make the sign of the cross and a big show of our faith etc... etc...

Well, maybe some are suggesting this but its not how I understand these things nor would I advocate such things. Here are some of the scriptures from Joel's thread were the discussion took a similar turn:

Romans 15:30 – “I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf”

1Thes 5:25 – “Brethren! be praying for us”

Heb 13:18 - "Be praying for us;

Galatians 6:1-3  Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Acts 12:5-Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

Acts 12:12-And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark, where many were gathered together praying.

Ephesians 6:17-20 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— AND FOR ME, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

2 Cor 1:11 you also helping together in prayer for us, that thanks may be given by many persons on our behalf for the gift granted to us through many.

2 Thessalonians 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you,

Colossians 4:3 meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains,

It is clear that the apostles asked for prayer and even made it publically known amongst the brethren that they were praying for one another.

The scriptures you quoted of Jesus saying don't be like the hypocrits in no way contradicts anything the apostles did in praying for one another or asking for prayer from the brethren. I am concerned though that you seem to be ignoring a foundational truth in scripture that no verse is at all becoming its own interpretation and that it is the sum of God's Word that is truth. All scripture is given by the inspiration of God not just Jesus' words though they are just as important.

I don't think Kat was judging you either and its a shame you feel that way considering we just had a great thread by Lauriellen about loving one another. You accuse her of not knowing the scriptures too which really seems out of place if not completely uncalled for.

Anyways, let no one think himself above those who knew our Lord in person and yet found it not shameful to encourage, ask, and petition one another for prayer. Let us also take heed though not to be like the hyprocrits and when we do pray, let it be in secret, that our Father in heaven may reward us openly.

God bless,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Kat

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »

Mark 8:32  He spoke this word openly. Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him.
v. 33  But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

This was before Peter was converted, Peter "rebuked" Jesus for saying He must suffer and die and be resurrected... if you consider Christ was harsh it was in equal manner to what Peter was saying to him and He certainly knew how to correct Peter and properly show him the error of what he was saying.

Jesus also spoke very plainly about our attempts to judge others.

Mat 7:1  "Judge not, that you be not judged.
v. 2  For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
v. 3  And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
v. 4  Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
v. 5  Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

John from Kentucky

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »

May God judge.

Mike Gagne

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 09:43:30 PM »

Hi Kat  I agree, nicely said! There are lots of examples in the bible that prayer is not just done in the closet. To suggest that prayer is only to be done in the closet is just religious. I Heard LRay Smith pray before everyone on all his audios of his teachings. I see Paul the apostle do it in his epistles.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.