bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isaiah 61:3  (Read 4079 times)

cheekie3

Isaiah 61:3
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:47:01 AM »

All -

From time to time The Lord drops Isaiah 61:3 into my mind.

I have asked Him to confirm what He is telling me.

Does anyone know how Isaiah 61:3 relates to us / me today.

Thank you.

George.

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Isaiah 61:3
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

All -

From time to time The Lord drops Isaiah 61:3 into my mind.

I have asked Him to confirm what He is telling me.

Does anyone know how Isaiah 61:3 relates to us / me today.

Thank you.

George.

Hi George,

I can offer my perspective. Plainly, I believe that Isaiah 61 is about Jesus Christ.

Jesus read from this passage and stopped just before the end of verse two.

Luke 4:17-21 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Now, we know that what applies to Christ also applies to us  (Matthew 10:24-25; John 15:20; John 17:18, 22; John 20:21) because we are to be like Him, we are being made into His image (Romans 8:29, 2 Cor 3:18, Gal 4:6, 1 John 2:6, John 3:30). As He is so are we in this world (1 John 4:17). God is making many sons and daughters! Christ is the firstborn but He will have brethren!

Remember, all these things are written for our admonishment (Romans 15:4), if they don't apply to us then what's the purpose of preserving it all? Christ is, was, and will be.

Now Isaiah 61:3 I certainly believe is a reference to us. I shared some similar verses in the Noah thread that I will again place here.

Isaiah 61:3 "To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."

Psalm 30:11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;

Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Jeremiah 17:7-8  Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Psalm 92:12-15 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.

The analogy in the new testatment to us being tree's which must bear good fruit is certainly there too.

Matthew 7:15-17 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Luke 6:43-45 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

James 3:12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

So Yes George, this verse is about you! IF you see yourself in Christ and Christ in you!

I think the rest of Isaiah 63 relates to us as well, there is a reference to the bridegroom/bride(Matthew 25:1, Rev 21:2, Isaiah 49:18) which we know from revelation is new Jerusalem which is the elect (Rev 19:7-9, 2 Cor 11:2). We also see righteousness springing forth before ALL nations. Who is this other than the elect of God?

Well hope my thoughts help you george!

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

cheekie3

Re: Isaiah 61:3
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »

Alex -

Thank you for posting these wonderful Scriptures.

These are very helpful.

Isaiah 61:3 comes to my mind when I am sad, upset or distressed - which i take as to hang on in there in hope in The Lord.

George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.