bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lot in Genesis  (Read 3413 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Lot in Genesis
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »

Curious; in Genesis 11:27 ...Terah begot Abram, Nahor and Haran.  Haran begot Lot.  Thus this makes Lot Abram's nephew.

Then we get into Chapter 14 when fighting was going on against Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot was taken captive (14:12 Abram's brother's son);  then in 14:14 "now when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed"..... so, I'm thinking his brother, not nephew;  but in verse 14:16 it says "he brought back all the goods, and also brought back his brother Lot and his goods. 

Is this a misprint?  I did a search on Lot and got 50 pages of every word containing "lot"  lol ::)

lilitalienboi16

Re: Lot in Genesis
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

Curious; in Genesis 11:27 ...Terah begot Abram, Nahor and Haran.  Haran begot Lot.  Thus this makes Lot Abram's nephew.

Then we get into Chapter 14 when fighting was going on against Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot was taken captive (14:12 Abram's brother's son);  then in 14:14 "now when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed"..... so, I'm thinking his brother, not nephew;  but in verse 14:16 it says "he brought back all the goods, and also brought back his brother Lot and his goods. 

Is this a misprint?  I did a search on Lot and got 50 pages of every word containing "lot"  lol ::)

Hi Honey,

I don't think its a typo. Its used twice in the same manner from what you shared above.

Abraham does call Lot his brother, perhaps because he was now a grown man and they had grown closer together. Less like ouncle and nephew and more like brothers.

Here is Abraham calling him his brother;  "And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; FOR WE BE BRETHREN [BROTHERS]" (Gen 13:8).

The CLV renders these verses relatively the same so I don't think its a typo.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:43:21 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Mike Gagne

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »

Hi H L 56, meaning of brother in the Hebrew...

H251   (Strong)

אָח

'âch

awkh

A primitive word; a brother (used in the widest sense of literal relationship and metaphorical affinity or resemblance (like H1)): - another, brother (-ly), kindred, like, other. Compare also the proper names beginning with “Ah-” or “Ahi-”.

Hope this helps! 

R P J

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:55:54 AM »

Hello friends,

It's always helpful to remember that the KJV editors did a lot of our thinking for us when they put meaning to the English version of Scripture.
They tried to do their very best, but it still requires the use of God's spirit in our study to glean the deeper meanings of the context.

Thanks, Michael G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.