bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay Weddings  (Read 48483 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Gay Weddings
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:32:54 AM »

Hey everyone,

So I'm posting this because there has been a lot of controversy in the news about the religious of freedom bills passed in Indiana and its being said that it gives business the right to discriminate against gay people.

In CNN, they interviewed florists who were southern Baptist Christians who stated that they would not serve flowers for a gay wedding. CNN did its best to make those florists seem like crazy people but its got me really thinking about the issue.

Now I don't care about the politics of it, should gay people be allowed the right ot marry etc...etc... because God is going to do with this country as He has planned and so I don't try and go against it or influence its course. I Just try and live Godly by what little God gives me to understand Him.

So my question is, is it wrong to attend a gay wedding? To partake in it in anyway? Lets say I was a florist and a gay couple asked me to set up the flowers at their wedding? What do I do? Do I attend and participate in the setting up of the wedding? I don't know... now im studying to be a doctor so I personally won't have this specific problem and I have no problem treating gay patients but what if I'm asked to CELEBRATE their LIFESTYLE and JOINING when God clearly makes it out to be an abomination?

I mean.. we all sin, we all fall short, and we shouldn't be phony and I'm not trying to be "holier than thou", but I'm honestly wondering, is it blasphemy to CELEBRATE a union of two people (the wedding ceremony) when that type of lifestyle is an abomination to God? Would it not be like, in certain ways, partaking in a celebration for a pagan god? Something Isreal was guilty of in the OT ad naseum before God sent them away in captivity for their wickedness and abominations. No sin should be celebrated and as far as I understand, a wedding ceremony is the celebration of a joining for two people.

So what say my brothers and sisters in Christ?

To re-iterate, I have no problem with gay people having marriage rights, being married,  whatever, they do as they wish. God will sort them out and God Is doing what He has planned, its not my place to tell Him otherwise. Also, I'm working on me and my issues because Lord knows I've got a TON. I'm not better than they because I know in my flesh dwells no good thing. I know its God's mercy and grace that brings any of us near to God and that we are His workmaship. I have no problem interacting with gay people or one day treating them as a physician, but what if I'm asked to go to a gay wedding or I'm forced by a law to partake in a gay wedding (like these florists might one day have to do) or be fined/jailed?

Wouldn't my participating in such an event be my endorsing of such lifestyle and behaviors which I know are clearly wrong? I'm not picking on gay marriage either, no sin should be celebrated. Like I said, it reminds me of Isreal celebrating and worshiping pagan gods.

I'm praying on the issue but I thought i'd bring it up here and see what wisdom my brothers and sisters in Christ might have on this specific matter.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:37:03 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

Re: Gay Weddings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »

Hi Alex,

I remember reading something that Ray said which is, homosexuality is a sin just like any other sin . If I were a florist and a gay couple were seeking to purchase flowers from me I would sell them flowers.

If I considered gay people my enemy, God says love your enemy. We are all sinners like you said so if I only sell flowers to the righteous people in this life then I could only sell to Gods elect .

Guess I would go out of the flower business.  Judge not and you wont be judged .

We must not forget what this life is about, when in doubt, walk in love and where there is no doubt walk in love because perfect love cast out all fears.  :)

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »

Alex, You are hoping to be a doctor.  If a gay couple come in seeking treatment will you deny them?  If a murderer comes needing you to save their life will you let them die?  If, if, if.

I know your question really had to do with celebrating an occasion that you believe is sinful, to that I answer do what you feel comfortable doing.  What other occasions do you celebrate that are sinful?  What occasions do you celebrate that others believe are sinful? 

Religion all marches to the same drum.  At first its followers believe they have become enlightened, it is they that only understand god and then they become pious, eventually if there is a large enough following they rule over the lives of the believers and then eventually they attempt to rule over the lives of all. Lording over the lives of all lead to murder and evil deeds, done in the name of their religion because god is on their side. It always becomes a battle of us versus them.  There is always a special place for the "true believers", whether it is twenty virgins or a certain number of crowns or a special place, reward etc.

If God is the savior of all, then He will save all.  To make a claim that I know how or why He does what He does, when He will do what He will do, stinks of religion. I say live your life, try to do good and realize there is no good unless God works through you to do good.  If good is in you what good is it if you separate from those who need to see the goodness?

What happens throughout the world is all in God's plan, if we really believe this then we should be satisfied to live our lives, ask for God to use us as His vessel of light and leave it to Him to sort out everthing else.

Craig
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:37:47 AM by Craig »

Extol

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »

Personally, I would not go to one of them. That is not to say I am better than them, or afraid of them. They're people just like me. We each have our faults. But I don't want to celebrate sin.

A large number of homosexual folks come to my place of business. I have no problem doing business with them; most of them are kind-hearted people and are nice to talk to. To refuse service to somebody because of his/her sexuality would be the height of hypocrisy, because--as with many men--lust and adultery of the heart are the sins to which I most easily give in.

But there is a big difference between accepting someone with faults and celebrating those faults--even if society says they are not really faults. We don't have to define the person by his/her sexuality, as people have done in the past. There is more to them than sex. I don't mind selling to gay people, buying from them, playing tennis with them, talking sports with them...they are people with a variety of interests, and I don't think I condone homosexuality by playing tennis with a gay man. Invite me to play tennis, and sure, I'll be glad to join. Playing tennis doesn't have anything to do with your sexual preferences. Marrying another man does, and I'd rather not join that party.

And no, I don't feel "holier-than-thou" by refusing to attend. I'm not going to invite all the gay men over for a party next time I look at a woman to lust after her.

lareli

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »

Alex and Extol, what if your son was the one getting married?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »

It's the kind of 'rhetorical' question I try to avoid.  Especially true in this case, because I never go to weddings to which I am not invited.  But let's say I was close enough to one or both parties so that I WAS invited.  I think I would go.  Of course, I don't know that for sure. 

And then that work will be judged, as will anybody's who did not attend, and the ones getting "wedded" too.  I'm very VERY glad that we have a Judge who judges right.  As per usual, I'd take my chances being 'judged' by guys with bibles.  Water off a duck's back, usually.  There is ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM.  I kinda think I know what that means now.  Nobody goes forever without living it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:07:04 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

indianabob

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:16 PM »

Folks,
This passage from John 17 helps me to understand how to live in the world.
Perhaps it will be of some help to others.
Indiana Bob
- - -

Jesus Prays for His Disciples

6 “I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7 Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8 For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[c] that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

zvezda

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »

now im studying to be a doctor so I personally won't have this specific problem and I have no problem treating gay patients

what if a lesbian couple wanted a child and asked you for medicial advice? Would you treat them the same way as you treat infertile heterosexual couples, knowing that you would help them bring an innocent child to part take their life style?

As for the gay wedding, even if you attend, it doesn't mean you are celebrating. I think it's the same thing as celebrating christmas, going to church, etc. Sometimes you have to go because your family drags you to or for some other reasons. God will judge your heart. I don't think you would celebrate in your heart even if you were attending those events.

1 Samuel 16: 7  ...For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

dave

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »

The situation is here, so now those who listen to His guiding must discern the path. Love is the main foundation, we know what the OT has said, also Paul's instruction on this very thing, now we today find it right in our walk. It is a life style within some humans that has been around since Gen. 19 now here we are hearing, "Bring them forth to us, and we will know them."
I feel the more "religion" antagonizes the situation it will only will cause false fire.
I, personally do not understand what I am to do, but Jesus said
Mat 22:37  And Jesus said to him, `Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thine understanding--
Mat 22:38  this is a first and great command;
Mat 22:39  and the second is like to it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself;

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »

now im studying to be a doctor so I personally won't have this specific problem and I have no problem treating gay patients

what if a lesbian couple wanted a child and asked you for medicial advice? Would you treat them the same way as you treat infertile heterosexual couples, knowing that you would help them bring an innocent child to part take their life style?

As for the gay wedding, even if you attend, it doesn't mean you are celebrating. I think it's the same thing as celebrating christmas, going to church, etc. Sometimes you have to go because your family drags you to or for some other reasons. God will judge your heart. I don't think you would celebrate in your heart even if you were attending those events.

1 Samuel 16: 7  ...For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

Everyone has given truly great replies and I see that there is much to consider in such a matter. I lean towards Jesse's perspective in that all these things of love, AGAPE the world, are true but not void of the rest of God's Word. It is the SUM of the Word that is truth. You can still love your enemies as Christ commanded without celebrating their sins and flaws. Ray talks on love (Agape verse Phileo) in this respect and I think its something we should all take another look at. I see a marriage ceremony as a kind of festival of two people's love. The celebration of two people becoming one by the making of a covenant vow before God and the world.

Dear Zvevda,

If a lesbian couple asked me for medical advice I would have no problem giving it to them. God is able to save even the uttermost. It is not my place to judge what He is doing in the life of one of His own children. He is the potter and has right to do as He see's fit, even if that means that He plans for this lesbian couple to raise a young child. God can bring that child out of babylon just as He has done with those of us here. I have zero issue providing regular services to gay couples, interacting with them, hanging out with them, etc...

I think Jesse summed it up wisely: "There is more to them than sex. I don't mind selling to gay people, buying from them, playing tennis with them, talking sports with them...they are people with a variety of interests, and I don't think I condone homosexuality by playing tennis with a gay man. Invite me to play tennis, and sure, I'll be glad to join. Playing tennis doesn't have anything to do with your sexual preferences. Marrying another man does, and I'd rather not join that party."

Now I know what is rightin my heart and believe God when He says what He says. They may not know or perhaps once did know but turned their backs on the truth. That's not my problem to worry about though. Even so, How then, after knowing the truth, can I attend their marriage ceremony celebrating a behavior that is condemned by God? Could you imagine celebrating any other sin? We are to overcome sin not celebrate it. 

Christmas, easter, etc... are entirely different in my eyes than deliberately celebrating what is clearly condemned as sinful behavior. I don't know if we can point to christmas and say its the celebration of sinful behavior. At least not every christmas is because everyone celebrates it slightly differently. Some may celebrate it with booz and alchohal and sex parties etc... then I would not attend such a christmas celebration but others may celebrate it with reverence and good honest intentions even if they are not scriptural.

The reason I made this thread is because IN MY HEART it seems WRONG to attend a celebration of sinful behavior in the eyes of God. Again, I'm not trying to pick on gay marriage but its what came to my attention and stuck in my mind. Tell me that marriage is not the celebration of a union between two people before man and God and I will try and see how attending this event is not celebrating, rejoicing, commemorating their sinful act.

God bless you all,
Alex

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:01:46 AM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »

It's the kind of 'rhetorical' question I try to avoid.  Especially true in this case, because I never go to weddings to which I am not invited.  But let's say I was close enough to one or both parties so that I WAS invited.  I think I would go.  Of course, I don't know that for sure. 

And then that work will be judged, as will anybody's who did not attend, and the ones getting "wedded" too.  I'm very VERY glad that we have a Judge who judges right.  As per usual, I'd take my chances being 'judged' by guys with bibles.  Water off a duck's back, usually.  There is ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM.  I kinda think I know what that means now.  Nobody goes forever without living it.

Dave, you're absolutely right, every act will be judged, even ones such as these. That too gives me peace of mind. I pray that my inquiries are merely God stirring me to a deeper understanding of who He is. I'm just trying to get some clarity. What would Christ do? I just don't see Christ attending a gay wedding ceremony to celebrate it. Maybe to upbraid it like He did the money changers in the temple? I don't know. 

-----------------------http://bible-truths.com/WhyGodLovesYou.htm

Ray said this: "However, when sinning becomes a way of life, and the sins are of a certain magnitude and grossness, God hates the sinner as well as his sins."

-------------------------

Most of us here are trying to overcome our sins through God's spirit so we don't fall into this category but much of the world has no problem living in sin. Many even live in grossness and magnitude that ray talked about to the point that God hates them. These things are clearly seen in the murderous rampages going on in the middle east today for starters.

Does homosexuality rise to such heights too? Seems extreme to think so but I suppose my mind asks the question.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:59:18 AM by lilitalienboi16 »

lurquer

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 01:42:43 AM »

Nothing to worry about here, Alex.  As I've pointed out before, there is no such thing as "gay marriage".

Men cannot, by definition, "marry" men.  Nor can women "marry" each other.  It's a modern--and wholly unscriptural--fallacy.  Ridiculous, really.

God calls this behavior an ABOMINATION.  It is, in no way, a "marriage" or a "union".  On the contrary, the scriptures label this conduct as defiling.  And worse, fornication (especially sodomy) is an especially egregious sin in that it is the ONE sin that is against your own body (ICor 6:18).  According to Paul, homosexual fornication in particular is a sin "WORTHY OF DEATH".    As a Bible-believing follower of Jesus, why on earth would you think otherwise?  WHO, in their right mind, would "celebrate" this bizarre and wicked human behavior--christian or not?

This stuff is easy.  Why do you all seem so confused about it?

noeleena

• live life. love life.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 02:57:14 AM »

Hi,

Take it as you see fit ,

Im involved with many 1000.s of people many are my friends and a few are very close ,
many I have got to know through work meetings and our many groups ,

Before and I told Jos the same thing this was some 9 years ago , I was going to meet many 1000.s of people I know nothing about and I was not to say any thing or to ?  why I was to get involved with them and also told not to judge any who are different .

or ? why , I was to accept them their difference and treat them as people and as friends , I have done that and still doing that yes many I know their life history and many have been treated badly and with contempt and killed and many other details I wont repeat ,

My detail was  / is to be there for them to stand next to them and hug them and give them something that they know  they are loved wonted and to be blessed in a way they know comes from on high . some of us are called to be where we are needed,

For myself I would not have gone to the places I have been or have meet those I have let alone hug or get to know , yet im accepted and given many doors to go through ,

Do I have any answers as to why ,,,,,,not really .....yet when you trust and give of your self to the one who goes before you then I will follow where im meant to go ,

There maybe many things I really don't like and rather not go to yet I have no fear of im there because im needed there , and this about gay people is no different if im asked or needed I,ll go and be there , ,

The Lord works in ways we don't understand , just ask and be Lead in the way you,r meant to go , and leave the ?s aside ,

and don't judge another  no matter what , yes its hard yes its tough and im so glad im not incharge and being open to The Lord is all that is asked of us , and to follow ,

...noeleena...

zvezda

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 02:59:28 AM »

I have zero issue providing regular services to gay couples, interacting with them, hanging out with them, etc...
The way I see it, helping a lesbian couple conceive a child is not just "providing regular services" in God's eyes. They won't get sick or die if you don't help them.

Christmas, easter, etc... are entirely different in my eyes than deliberately celebrating what is clearly condemned as sinful behavior. I don't know if we can point to christmas and say its the celebration of sinful behavior. At least not every christmas is because everyone celebrates it slightly differently. Some may celebrate it with booz and alchohal and sex parties etc... then I would not attend such a christmas celebration but others may celebrate it with reverence and good honest intentions even if they are not scriptural.
I am not saying celebrating christmas is sinful, I am just pointing out that you could physically present in a celebration of any occasions while your heart/spirit is not there. People think you are celebrating by attending the event, it's because "man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." 1 Samuel 16: 7
I am not saying it's right to attend a gay wedding, I would avoid it if I could, but what if I couldn't...

octoberose

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 03:01:48 AM »

I don't really like being disrespectful, but have some of you taken leave of your good sense?
  What did Jesus say ?
      Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God has NOT brought two men or two women together. How can any of you stand by and act as a witness to it?
As you all know, I have a 'gay' son.  I would lay down my life for him but I will Never go to a same sex "wedding".  And by the way , the United States can call it marriage all they want but it is not marriage - it is plain fornication. 
Love your enemies . Lay down your life for those in sin as your savior did. But don't join them in their celebration of sin!
   I believe this is happening now because we are coming closer to the Day when Jesus returns. The Bible starts with creation and then setting up male and female identity. It is not a surprise that we are violating the very  core of our being. 
  Is the very elect of God becoming "Americanized" in their view of homosexuality? Well,  sadly some have.

octoberose

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 03:21:36 AM »

Alex and Extol, what if your son was the one getting married?

When our children become our God then we have a real problem.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 03:53:43 AM »

If you can show me one instance where Jesus "upbraided" run-of-the-mill sinners (not religious leaders), I'll consider upbraiding them.  I'm not quite sure how to do that, since I don't preach 'fags burn in hell', but scripture tells me to answer questions.  There's too much left out of this 'scenario' for my comfort in answering what I would do without qualification. 

There are a lot of sins "worthy of death".  But Paul had more to say about this than as a prosecuting attorney.  We see what we see, however, and act accordingly.  The High Priest who is not untouched by our many temptations sets things right.  If He needs my help, He will set the circumstance in place where I will be there to do so.  Everything else is also "un-scriptural".  I'm not required to judge those "outside".  And I'm not required to tirelessly "preach" to anybody until they "see the light" or kill me.  There is a reason why we are told to speak to a brother in certain ways and not more than two or three times...and it has little or nothing to do with the BROTHER, and more to do with "US" why this is so, I think.

BUT...let everyone be convinced in their own mind.  I've actually never been to ANY wedding that I "believed" was my "participation" in their union.  I've gone because I was invited, or because (on one or two occasions) I was in the wedding 'party' and they rented me a tux.  I just don't think I'm all that important, I guess.  All I've considered NOT doing was hanging around for the honeymoon.  I think I'd keep the same restriction in any case like this.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »

I don't really like being disrespectful, but have some of you taken leave of your good sense?
  What did Jesus say ?
      Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God has NOT brought two men or two women together. How can any of you stand by and act as a witness to it?
As you all know, I have a 'gay' son.  I would lay down my life for him but I will Never go to a same sex "wedding".  And by the way , the United States can call it marriage all they want but it is not marriage - it is plain fornication. 
Love your enemies . Lay down your life for those in sin as your savior did. But don't join them in their celebration of sin!
   I believe this is happening now because we are coming closer to the Day when Jesus returns. The Bible starts with creation and then setting up male and female identity. It is not a surprise that we are violating the very  core of our being. 
  Is the very elect of God becoming "Americanized" in their view of homosexuality? Well,  sadly some have.

Dear Rose,

Thank you for your input, especially as one who is so closely affected by this issue. As I said, I too do not feel right celebrating what God has condemned. Its why I started this whole thread in the first place and I feel the same now. If anything, this thread and its responses have moved me to better understand why I felt the way I did.

Now these things may very well be happening in America for the reason you mention. Other recent threads lead me to believe that our Father is moving us to a greater understanding of Him. Some things like the Enigma of God may be things that have long been hidden now but are being revealed again once more. Perhaps for good reason too.

I think you and Neo are both making the same point as well, though Neo a bit stronger in tone, that "gay marriage" isn't marriage at all as far as God and the Word are concerned.

I agree too that when our children become our God then we have a serious problem.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:13:06 AM by lilitalienboi16 »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 04:10:25 AM »

If you can show me one instance where Jesus "upbraided" run-of-the-mill sinners (not religious leaders), I'll consider upbraiding them.  I'm not quite sure how to do that, since I don't preach 'fags burn in hell', but scripture tells me to answer questions.  There's too much left out of this 'scenario' for my comfort in answering what I would do without qualification. 

There are a lot of sins "worthy of death".  But Paul had more to say about this than as a prosecuting attorney.  We see what we see, however, and act accordingly.  The High Priest who is not untouched by our many temptations sets things right.  If He needs my help, He will set the circumstance in place where I will be there to do so.  Everything else is also "un-scriptural".  I'm not required to judge those "outside".  And I'm not required to tirelessly "preach" to anybody until they "see the light" or kill me.  There is a reason why we are told to speak to a brother in certain ways and not more than two or three times...and it has little or nothing to do with the BROTHER, and more to do with "US" why this is so, I think.

BUT...let everyone be convinced in their own mind.  I've actually never been to ANY wedding that I "believed" was my "participation" in their union.  I've gone because I was invited, or because (on one or two occasions) I was in the wedding 'party' and they rented me a tux.  I just don't think I'm all that important, I guess.  All I've considered NOT doing was hanging around for the honeymoon.  I think I'd keep the same restriction in any case like this.

Good point too Dave.

I don't think any of us here will ever be invited to a gay wedding so lets all remember this was just a hypothetical what if... because I knew how I felt about gay marriage and those who are gay but I didn't know what I would do in regards to attending one and what that would mean if I did attend.

While you may not personally have had any opinion on the bride and groom, most people that attend a marriage are there to show their support. At least... that's my understanding. Personally I can't remember the last time I was at a wedding, I think I was too young to remember so I can't say there was much of an issue conscience wise.

So now this discussion has opened my eyes to why I felt as I did and why its good to seek the perspectives of those like minded. It helps me "try the spirits," including those that like to move my thoughts this way and that way.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:14:24 AM by lilitalienboi16 »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »

I didn't say I had no opinion of the brides and grooms.  They invited me to their wedding, after all, and I went because I either loved them or liked them well enough to carve out a bit of time for them.  I said I didn't feel like *I* was important or "participating" in anything other than a wedding ceremony.  It would have happened without me, and as Abraham Lincoln said at Gettysburg, it is not within my poor powers to "consecrate" anything.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.