bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)  (Read 3884 times)

acomplishedartis

This has been on my mind on the last few days.

Seems like the knowledge that we are going to die is a powerful idea that makes people act in certain different inconvenient paths. A lot of people is afraid of death... Then we make our selves selfish agendas of ''things to do before we die"...

But for Paul, he seems to be ready for it; Everyday. " to die is gain " !  -- Paul seems to like to live in the present showing Jesus character and personality; "to live is Christ" and if he die... that's GAIN for him.  To think like that could really change our everyday attitude! We would be ready to give our best to every situation, since in our minds, We are (hypothetically) "death persons" Anyway...

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)

( I also read the following verses... I am just very triggered by this main concept )

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »

This has been on my mind on the last few days.

Seems like the knowledge that we are going to die is a powerful idea that makes people act in certain different inconvenient paths. A lot of people is afraid of death... Then we make our selves selfish agendas of ''things to do before we die"...

But for Paul, he seems to be ready for it; Everyday. " to die is gain " !  -- Paul seems to like to live in the present showing Jesus character and personality; "to live is Christ" and if he die... that's GAIN for him.  To think like that could really change our everyday attitude! We would be ready to give our best to every situation, since in our minds, We are (hypothetically) "death persons" Anyway...

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (Philippians 1:21)

( I also read the following verses... I am just very triggered by this main concept )

Hey Moises,

I found some similar verses to the above:

1 Peter 1:24-25 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Job 14
1 Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble.
2 He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
3 And doth thou open thine eyes upon such an one, and bringest me into judgment with thee?
4 Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one.
5 Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months are with thee, thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;
6 Turn from him, that he may rest, till he shall accomplish, as an hireling, his day.
7 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
8 Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;
9 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.
10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?
11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up:
12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.
16 For now thou numberest my steps: dost thou not watch over my sin?
17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and thou sewest up mine iniquity.
18 And surely the mountains falling cometh to nought, and the rock is removed out of his place.
19 The waters wear the stones: thou washest away the things which grow out of the dust of the earth; and thou destroyest the hope of man.
20 Thou prevailest for ever against him, and he passeth: thou changest his countenance, and sendest him away.
21 His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.
22 But his flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn.

Psalm 103:13-18 "Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them."

Isaiah 40:6-8 "The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the Lord bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass. The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

Isaiah 51:12-13 "I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; And forgettest the Lord thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, as if he were ready to destroy? and where is the fury of the oppressor?"

James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

Psalm 39:4-5 "Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is: that I may know how frail I am.Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah."

Psalm 144:3-4 "Lord, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him! Man is like to vanity: his days are as a shadow that passeth away."

Well I guess the whole Word of God is filled with this admonishment. Ray said its the reason why Christ says He comes quickly to the believer because our days are so short. Our lives are but vapor and one minute we are here and the next we are not. Then comes the resurrection! Quickly indeed!

Revelation 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
Revelation 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

God bless dear brother!

Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Extol

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »

Alex and I were talking on the phone today about getting older, and we share the feeling that getting one year older just means we are getting closer to God. Most people of our generation (young adult) waste a lot of time worrying about age and trying to fight it, but I look forward to being delivered from this body and its youthful lusts. It is really a blessing to live with this knowledge, that God will finish the work he began in us, and the end of this life is not the end at all.

Who shall deliver me out of the body of this death? I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord. ...Romans 7:24-25 8)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »

Moises, this one came to mind, and may carry a very similar message in a different context and flavor.

Gal 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Getting older is no picnic either, young'uns.   ;)  Live while you're alive, by the faith of the Son of God.

I'm not afraid of 'death'.  If scripture is true, there is Resurrection.  And if it isn't, there is nothing at all.  I'd made my peace with the latter before God gave me faith to believe the former.  Dying?  That's another matter.  But it is what MUST BE, and I've come close and didn't think it was all that bad. 

I'll only add this...Paul said it's best to remain in your station in life when you are called.  He gave a few examples.  I'd like to propose another one...remain ALIVE until you're delivered.  OK?

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.