bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Victim of Identity fraud  (Read 4391 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Victim of Identity fraud
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »

My health insurance company was hacked in 2014 and over 80 million people were affected.

Today I found out someone is trying to use my social security number to purchase car insurance in Atlanta Goergia. Ouch!

I called my insurance company who has a special response team in place for this kind of stuff since the hacking took place and they told me they will get back to me in 1-3 business days to handle the issue. Currently its been reported by me and escalated by them due to the fact that my information is actually being illegally used.

Anyone else ever been a victim of this?

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Joel

Re: Victim of Identity fraud
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:53:32 AM »

Hi Alex,
Sorry to hear about that.
We have had some close calls, but the state employees credit union where we do our banking has been real good at keeping on top of things.
A while back they notified us that shortly after we made a purchase at Home Depot, they were hacked also.
SECU took action and changed every ones credit/debit cards, so far we are still ok.
We were using our cards mostly as debit, but my wife said some one told her it was best to do it as a credit if possible, and that way we don't put in the pin number as often as we use to when buying gas, and groceries.

Joel

octoberose

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:56:55 AM »

Not yet. I'm sorry you have to deal with tnis.
   After they get things sorted out you might consider freezing your credit. It's either very low cost or no cost depending on your state.  You do it for all 3 credit bureaus . No one can open an account in your name when you do this. You can still use your credit card, but if you want a new line of credit you have to call and unfreeze your credit. This apparently works very well.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:30 AM »

Unfortunately I don't know very much about credit, freezing it, etc... I've been in school my whole life and my parents have been able to provide for me at home while I attend school enough that I don't need to know much about doing this on my own.

This big move to virginia for medical school is perhaps the biggest thing i've done independently, aside from being a father of course! ;)

I tried calling the FTC to file a complaint but they were closed by the time I received the letter today informing me of what had happened.

I should clarify in my original post that the company which I contacted to handle this issue was my health insurance company and not my car insurance. My health insurance company, since they were the ones that had the hack, are the ones that are providing free one year service for protection against this kind of stuff. Unfortunately... someone is already using my information.

Lord willing the damage won't be too bad... hah...

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Gina

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »

I haven't that I know of.  How did you find out?  Did you get a call from someone in Georgia?  Did you run a credit check and find it that way? 

My insurance agency was hacked recently too, and I bet it's the same company.  As soon as I found out I just started praying to God to please protect my identity.

All these major business are getting hacked, Home Depot, Target.  It's ridiculous.  I think they want to phase our SSNs out, but what they'd replace them with for ID is anyone's guess.  Our DNA?

zvezda

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:59 AM »

Hi Alex, is it Anthem? I am not a victim, but a small number of employees at my work place have experienced federal tax returns being fraudulently filed on their behalf due to identity theft.

You can file a complaint any time at the FTC site:
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Request a free copy of your credit report online at www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling toll-free 1-877-322-8228.

The website for the Anthem breach is https://www.anthemfacts.com/

Hope this helps.

Gina

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:01:04 AM »

Hi Alex, is it Anthem? I am not a victim, but a small number of employees at my work place have experienced federal tax returns being fraudulently filed on their behalf due to identity theft.

Request a free copy of your credit report online at www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling toll-free 1-877-322-8228.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »

Hope this helps.

Yes it is Anthem. Thank you very much. I will get to this tomorrow morning.

I've been stressing about it but trying my best not to because I know its all part of God's plan.

Ill keep you all posted on any updates.

God bless

octoberose

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »

I'm glad you found an answer that can help.
 I know docs are too busy to do much else but study and work (I'm surprised this forum has so much of your time.  :))
 If you ever need a quick reference to financial, credit, etc questions I would recommend Clark Howard.com
 I was born in Virginia. I love Virginia. But no one else in my family wants to live there!
 :(

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »

I'm glad you found an answer that can help.
 I know docs are too busy to do much else but study and work (I'm surprised this forum has so much of your time.  :))
 If you ever need a quick reference to financial, credit, etc questions I would recommend Clark Howard.com
 I was born in Virginia. I love Virginia. But no one else in my family wants to live there!
 :(

I have time to spend on the forums because my schooling hasn't yet started. I leave with my daughter and fiance on the 1st of May for virginia. School begins in August! By the grace of God it is my sincere hope and prayer that I will still find time for God and my family here throughout my four years in medical school because Lord knows I will need Him just as much as ever!

As for the fraud, I was able to put out a notice to the credit agencies abroad so that they know to be on the alert for fraudulent use of my information as well as to make sure they verify with me over the phone before they release anything in my name.

Anthem has also provided a free two year protection service with Allclear so by the grace and mercy of God the watchers will not watch in vain! :X

God bless,
Alex

rickylittleton

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »

WOW! I've been there, and I know of other people who have been there! You must stay on top of this! Loan's have been made in my name, and so many other things, but stay on top of this. The sad thing about this is that the people that these crook's go to to get your credit know that this person is not you, but yet they will go on and my that transaction any way. Just make sure you stay on top of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.