bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is it necessary to continue to pray?  (Read 5315 times)

lauriellen

Why is it necessary to continue to pray?
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »

I hope John from Kentucky doesn't mind too much me quoting his post as the topic for this thread. Here is John's quote:
"Why is it necessary to continue to pray?  Is Jesus stupid and didn't understand the prayers the first time around?  Or is Jesus deaf and cannot hear?
Maybe you need to obey what Jesus says.
One thing Jesus tells us is not to worry, and He will give us our daily needs.
Another thing Jesus said was not to use a lot of words in prayer because the Father already knows what you need before you ask.
Obey Jesus.  Maybe He is wanting you to learn through experience.  That you should not have given so much to your wayward son that it put the rest of your family in financial jeopardy.
Concentrate on the daily basic essentials.  You may lose your home.  But work and find another shelter for your family through God's grace.  Next, work and earn your food to feed you and your family on a daily basis.
God will provide for you.  If you have food and shelter on a daily basis, then be content.  Millions living today on the earth do not have that.
Silver and gold I don't have, but what I have I give to you.  Trust in God with your whole heart and He will provide you all things.  Consider the birds in the air and the grasses in the field.  God provides what they need, and you are of greater value to God than all of them. " John from Kentucky
This aligns with Ray's writing 'Praying by God's rules'.....and I just found John's post to be so sound, wise and worth re-posting.
Thanks John.

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Why is it necessary to continue to pray?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »

Well, then there's this:
Luke 18:1-8

[18:1] Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. [2] He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. [3] And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary."
[4] "For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, [5] yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "
[6] And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. [7] And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? [8] I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

I'm sure there's a lot about this parable I do not understand, but perhaps it does advocate persistent prayer. Thoughts?

rickylittleton

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »

Some people view this as going some where, and then going into some kind of mystical trance to get in touch with God. One thing I believe that most people should understand, is that "always praying" in not some "thing" that you should, but being always in prayer is the "life we live" 24/7. Now remember that the Hebrew's did not just do a duty toward God in all He told them to do, but Judaisms was the life style that God wanted them to live every day. So our lives should be a life of prayer toward God 24 hours a day, and this life of prayer is our life, and not just some ritualistic act we do!

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »

Well, then there's this:

[18:1] Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. [2] He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. [3] And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary."
[4] "For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, [5] yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "
[6] And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. [7] And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? [8] I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

I'm sure there's a lot about this parable I do not understand, but perhaps it does advocate persistent prayer. Thoughts?

Here is a little something from Ray regarding the persistent widow verse you refer to.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6483.0.html

Kat

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »

Well, then there's this:

That is exactly what Jesus pointed out about this parable by saying "a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." And there are other Scripture that indicate the same thing as well.

Acts 10:2  a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always.

Rom 12:12  rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;

Eph 6:18  praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

1Thess 5:17  pray without ceasing,
v. 18  in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Col 4:2  Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving;

Php 4:6  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

To me it's not a question of bothering God too much with all our supplications to Him, or even repeating our needs to Him... He wants us to turn to Him first and foremost with everything! Why wouldn't we, as the Scripture say, pray always? 

But I'm inclined to think like rickylittleton, that this continued/always/without ceasing pray, of course, could not be speaking of formal, on your knees type prayers. But prayer can take many different forms (worship, thanksgiving, on others behalf, in distress, for resisting temptation, etc), and I think meditating on things of God is a form of pray as well. I think it's more of having your mind constantly attuned to God, in the Spirit of prayer... to be in constant contact with God in whatever form needed for a situation.

In Ray's article 'Praying by God's Rules,' his final comment was...

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm --------------

Don’t hesitate to thank God for your trials and tribulations and persecutions—they are qualifying you for the incorruptible and immortal Kingdom of God. Answered prayer is a major proof that God exists and that God loves. Obey God’s rules governing prayer, and you too will begin to experience God’s intervention into your life. And finally, the second shortest verse in the Bible:

"Pray without ceasing" (I Thes. 5:17)!
-----------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »

I take the pray without ceasing to be similar to what Kat said. I just talk to God all the time in my head... haha.... please don't think I'm crazy! I don't hear audible voices I promise!

I'm not always the best at it, especially when I should be doing it more earnestly during time's of temptation, but I'm a work in progress!

I'll pray for my brothers and sisters too whether they ask for it or not. I don't know everyone's needs but it doesn't stop me from at least remembering you all. We are the body of Christ, why should we not care then for ourselves? I know that my brothers and sisters have prayed for me on so many occasions and probably do even without my asking. I think its the right thing to do and I do it out of a genuine love that my Father has taught me over time. All things though, even prayer, as God wills.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »

Rickylittleton nailed it, he is spot on, Christ is a way of life and this life can be referred to as prayer, a life of prayer, praying continuously is another way of saying your life is hidden in Christ. 

The life you live now is in Christ, our life is hidden in Christ. Its like Alex said, I talk to God all day long, it’s a relationship with the best friend you’ll ever have.  :)

lauriellen

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:42:35 PM »

prayer has definitely been evolving for me....growing up i was taught we should spend a certain number of minutes on our knees in formal prayer each day....now it is more of an open and continuous communication as i go thru my day...sometimes i am doing the talking, sometimes scriptures and thoughts come to mind that i meditate on.....sometimes i am awakened from sleep with a very specific scripture or train of thought ..... that to me is 'prayer without ceasing'....

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »

prayer has definitely been evolving for me....growing up i was taught we should spend a certain number of minutes on our knees in formal prayer each day....now it is more of an open and continuous communication as i go thru my day...sometimes i am doing the talking, sometimes scriptures and thoughts come to mind that i meditate on.....sometimes i am awakened from sleep with a very specific scripture or train of thought ..... that to me is 'prayer without ceasing'....

Speaking of dreams I had a wonderful beautiful dream that put a smile on my face from ear to ear about all of you here. I was a little sad though when I woke up in the sense that I wanted it to continue but I definetely smile and was smiling after I had a chance to think upon it.

We were all together, all of us, the body of Christ, seated together at a table. We were near some railroad tracks and it was definitely an outdoor area as there were large trees between us and the tracks but you could see those tracks still. Everyone was there but everyone was like a child. What i mean by that is for example, kat had her wisdom and experience, everything that makes her who she is but she was a girl no older than 14 or 15 in apperence, running, sitting etc.... I know you all might laugh and find it silly but it was amazing to be seated with everyone and laughing and talking and sharing scripture etc.. It just made me so happy because I knew our Father was letting me know He's still here with us in those little ways of His. It was the feeling I guess, its hard to desribe... elated comes close I suppose but that's what made it all the more memorable. I was just so happy and everyone was happy.

It was nothing more than a dream but like I said, I'd give for many things for more dreams like those. Many nights I can't recall my dreams if I even do dream at all. Well don't think me crazy please.. it was just a dream but you all were there.

Slightly off topic but I wanted to share because I've been meaning to. This was just the other night.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

octoberose

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »

What a great dream, Alex. Sometimes God just gives us a little taste of the sweetness that is to come. So, we weren't debating, explaining, or generally misbehaving?  ;)  Sounds good to me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.