bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What spiritual gift or talent do you think you have?  (Read 3960 times)

Nelson Boils

What spiritual gift or talent do you think you have?
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

1 Cor 12:4 "Therefore are different kinds of gifts,but the same spirit.There are different kinds of service,but the same Lord.

1 Cor 7:7"...But each man has his own gift from God;one has this gift,another has that.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: What spiritual gift or talent do you think you have?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »

I Corinthians 7:7 is talking about life situations.  In this way, my "gift" is to be single, among other things.

12:7 continues Paul's statement.

1Co 12:7  But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

What kind of 'profit', and who is 'profited'?  The hand for the hand?  The foot for the foot?  Our 'gifts' are for each other.

1Co_14:3  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

I reckon if 'edification, exhortation and/or comfort' are not accomplished, then there is no gift/manifestation of the Spirit.  Ray said it this way, as best I can remember.  If nobody 'learns' then nobody was 'taught'.  It doesn't much matter if a man calls or thinks himself a 'teacher'. 

So I'd have to conclude that any thing I have done that has 'edified, exhorted, or comforted' the body or any member of it is a 'manifestation' of the Spirit.  Anything else is just "something I might can do reasonably well" flowing out of the "gifts"/life-situation into which He has placed me so far.  The jury is still out on all of that, and I'm loathe to assume anything for which there is no evidence.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:59:27 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »

This thread reminds me of ray's paper on speaking in tongues; http://bible-truths.com/tongues.htm

How does that chapter end... "But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way."

What is that more excellent way?

Corinthians 13
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Or as other translations have it:

1 Corinthians 13:13 "Now three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Ah yes... this is all that is left to us, the most excellent and greatest of all, love.

1 John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

God bless,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Nelson Boils

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »

You're Single?That's good.At least it's less problems for you.

Do you think the gifts that the apostles had still exist today though?I'm talking about miracles,such as changing water to wine and things like that.
Peter healed the sick with his shadow.That's amazing,imagine that.

Acts 5:15-As a result,people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »

You're Single?That's good.At least it's less problems for you.

Do you think the gifts that the apostles had still exist today though?I'm talking about miracles,such as changing water to wine and things like that.
Peter healed the sick with his shadow.That's amazing,imagine that.

Acts 5:15-As a result,people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by.

Hi Nelson,

Is it impossible for God to give these gifts of healing out today? Of course not because He gave them out before and so surely He can do it again. Do I believe these giifts of healing are pervasive or even out today? Not likely.

Paul tells us that of the gifts God has given us, only three remain. Faith (That is a gift Eph 2:8 ), hope, and love. He says love is the greatest of all, greater even than healing or "speaking in tongues..." (1 Cor 13).

Furthermore, we must remember that it was God through peter that healed those people and not peter of himself. As Christ said, the works that I do, they are the works of the Father. While it was Christ who did the good works, it was out of the Father and through Christ that we witnessed them.

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, HE doeth the works.

John 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

Those gifts early on served as a witness and testimony to the Truth that God has been using since then to save His elect (predestined by the Him)  and prepare all creation for the unveiling of the sons of God. The saviours of Hosea. They are certainly enough and I don't see the need for more. Blessed are they that believe and have not seen. Amen.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:28:48 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.