bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we need to know and do?  (Read 12282 times)

Bill

What do we need to know and do?
« on: August 10, 2006, 11:26:31 PM »

Hello,

Has any one given much thought on what one thing it is that God desires from us?  It seems Ray does not feel many of us that come here know what that is.

Anyone willing to say what they feel that is?

God Bless

Bill

Andy_MI

Re: What do we need to know and do?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:41:33 PM »

Hi Bill,

I'd have to say that God wants our love more than anything else.

Mat 22:36  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:17:39 AM »

Hi Bill,

I'd have to say that God wants our love more than anything else.

Mat 22:36  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38  This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Mat 22:40  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Hi Andy,

Nice to converse with you.  Not sure if you are aware but we pretty much live in the same town (GR). 

What is love?  The term love get thrown around alot and mean different things to differnet people.

BTW I should of put what I though it was.  Which is leading the most Godly lives now in the best way you possibly can.  Now what is a Godly life?

Bill
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:28:07 AM by Bill »

M_Oliver

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:17:46 AM »

From what I gathered in some of the email postings he plans on teaching this very subject at the September conference.  Hopefully that will be recorded and posted.

Bill

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:31:14 AM »

From what I gathered in some of the email postings he plans on teaching this very subject at the September conference.  Hopefully that will be recorded and posted.

Hello M_oliver,

Yes it will be an intereting hear what Ray will say.  I feel he has already told us through his writings how importants it is to live a Godly life but has not really allaborated on that.  I wonder if that is because that is Gods job and not Rays or have I missed that.

Bill

M_Oliver

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:51:28 AM »

Hello M_oliver,

Yes it will be an intereting hear what Ray will say.  I feel he has already told us through his writings how importants it is to live a Godly life but has not really allaborated on that.  I wonder if that is because that is Gods job and not Rays or have I missed that.

Bill

Both I guess  ;)

for, seeing in the wisdom of God the world through the wisdom knew not God, it did please God through the foolishness of the preaching to save those believing.  (1 Corinthians 1:21)

Laren

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 02:56:04 AM »

Hello,

Has any one given much thought on what one thing it is that God desires from us?  It seems Ray does not feel many of us that come here know what that is.

Anyone willing to say what they feel that is?

God Bless

Bill

Mat 9:12  But when he heard it, he said, They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick.

Mat 9:13  But go ye and learn what this meaneth, I desire mercy, and not sacrifice, for I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

(Isaiah 66:1-2) Thus says the LORD: "Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me? And where is the place of My rest? {2} For all those things My hand has made, And all those things exist," Says the LORD. "But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:58:22 AM by Laren »

MG

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:20:15 AM »

I think maybe Ray says it here

[4] And this is His commandment, That we should believe on the Name [and everything that that Name stands for and represents] of His Son Jesus Christ…

[5] And love one another, as He gave us commandment"

chumkin

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »

Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, [even] your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples :-*

Karen

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 11:28:25 AM »

I BELIEVE HE WANTS US TO BE LOYAL AND FAITHFUL TO HIM. AND NOT TO SELF. AND LOVE IS A VERY IMPORTANT KEY.~KAREN~

buddyjc

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:40:02 PM »

The beginning is a humble heart and contrite spirit.  I do believe these are the things God delights in.

Psa 51:16  For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

Psa 51:17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

You cannot possibly even begin to love as God loves, and be faithful without first being humbled and broken. 

Brian

sher

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 04:36:28 PM »

I agree with Brian …
That it needs to start here.

Take in the words and heart of David… 

”For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.”  Psalm 51:3-4

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”  Psalm 51:10

“You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart.”  Psalm 51:16-17

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”  Psalm 62:1-2

“O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you;  my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.”  Psalm 63:1

“How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!  My soul yearns, even faints,
for the courts of the Lord;  my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.”  Psalm 84:1-2

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?” Psalm 42:1-2

Sherri

ned

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 05:43:44 PM »

BTW I should of put what I though it was. Which is leading the most Godly lives now in the best way you possibly can. Now what is a Godly life?  Bill 

Hi Bill:

I was pleasantly surprised to find this thread here this morning when I logged on.  I've been thinking the exact same thing, but have not yet posted about it.

I live in my own comfy world; husband, 2 kids, dog, house. Our necessities have always been provided for by our jobs.

God has definitely put in my heart the desire to do his will; I constantly have on my mind what can I do to please Him?
My patience and love toward others has INCREASED and I know it is not of myself, but Christ at work in me.

We live outside a small community (pop 1,700) and I often times find myself alone with my kids (my husband works wierd shift-work), and I have alot of time to think about: what am I doing today that pleases the Lord?  I know ALL things are of God. Days on end go by where I feel I haven't the opportunity to please God.  How, in my own household can I live a godly life?  Especially with my kids (age 10 & 12) - I still have to discipline them, and sometimes I feel like I'm not being godly when I "ground" them or am stern with them for fighting, etc... 

Last week we were walking through the town, and walked by a homeless man (yes, population 1700 PLUS 1 homeless man). I have in the past never made eye contact with homeless people, in fact I've always felt scared of them, but last week I made eye contact with this man and simply said Hi to him, well- the smile I received back in his eyes has stayed with me even today. I have never in my life seen such a genuine loving smile on any strange man's face. I know it was Christ in me that urged me to even say Hi to this man, I am not sorry I did, and now he is in my heart.  What can I do for him?  I know God has made homeless people for His purpose, and there always has been and always will be the homeless, but I am sure God has made this man cross my path for a reason. I am waiting for God's lead...but am sure the day will come where I will meet up with him again and simply talk to him, buy him a coffee, or something that will touch him in a way only God could co-ordinate.  I will wait for God's lead on this.

I came across an ad in the local paper: "Red Cross looking for volunteers to visit lonely seniors".  I answered the ad and am waiting for the organizer to return from vacation.  I don't have any experience with seniors, I've really never been comfortable leading conversation with them....but this is Christ in me....ways that I can live a godly life.

I would love to host "bible-studies" in my home and have prayed to God about this...how do I find like-minded believers to share the truth with?  All is in God's hands, and I will wait for his lead.

What more can I do to live a godly life?  (answers/comments are welcome)
I want to SO MUCH live for Him....truly I feel like an alien visiting this world on my way to be with Him forever....I hope I don't miss a chance he has provided on this earth.

I would love to hear how others live a Godly life, how God lives in them to bring Him joy day in and day out.

In God's Love,
Marie

Laren

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »

The beginning is a humble heart and contrite spirit.  I do believe these are the things God delights in.

Psa 51:16  For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

Psa 51:17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

You cannot possibly even begin to love as God loves, and be faithful without first being humbled and broken. 

Brian

AMEN,

he gives grace to the humble

ciy

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 07:30:40 PM »

We all say "Live a Godly life" very often, but what is a Godly life.  Did David live a Godly life?  If you break the laws of society is that a Godly life?  Would going down to the local megachurch and throwing out the people selling tapes, cds, and books be a Godly life?  Would calling Charles Stanley, Billy Graham, etc pits of vipers and hypocrites be Godly? 

Sorry I ran that into the ground, but my point is we cannot live a Godly life and serve God.  His ways are not our ways.  We must live by faith.  We must reaize that it is not in a man to guide his own steps.  The Lord will guide your steps.  Love, focus, meditate, ponder on the Word and then do what it says.  I may be muddying the water but basically love God with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul then love others as Jesus did and then do not care what people (any people) think and act in it.

CIY

chuckusa

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »

Marie,

You aren't alone. I face these same things in my life. I think a Godly life is a broken and humbled life. Being a servant willing to get out of bed at 4am to do his work when called, or to carry someones burden when they are too weak to face another day, or to smile at a stranger...increasing in love and humility...that is what I believe a Godly life is for us.

I was once at a point, where the smiles or comments from a stranger was all I had to sustain me, and it did.

I now never underestimate the power one person can have when God is working through a humbled heart. Look at Ray!

Blessings and love Marie, your brother,
Chuck

Karen

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 11:41:06 PM »

I agree with you Brian. Humble I should be. I know that I much be loyal and faithful. I know that self much die and this flesh has to come to the place where you start giving your all to Him. And look to His desire and what His will is and not my will. His way. And I know I  much love as He does. And I much walk in Spirit And In Truth. I am nothing apart from Him. He has been working in the area of my life, where I have to stop and let Him deal with it and not try to take it on myself. Will not work. He will be done, not my will. THANKS FOR LETTING ME SEE THINGS IN A CLEARER LIGHT .~KAREN~

ned

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »

Hi Chuck- Your quote: "A Godly life is a broken and humbled life". I like that analysis. I for some reason always think each minute of my day has to be spent literally doing something for God, and if I am just doing my dishes, or laundry, or everyday stuff...how is that serving him? (OK, I'm not trying to get out of my housework or anything  ;) ). Maybe instead of my thoughts always being "What can I do?", I should focus more on being broken and humbled before God...Oh I know I am nothing without Him, but I am going to focus on your quote for those days where I am feeling like I should be doing more and am stuck at home with nothing to do. Does that make sense?

A smile or comment from a stranger can sustain you...thank you for sharing that...I won't back away when another chance arises!

Thank you Topaz.
Who would believe how much the "small things" really do count, huh?
For sure, I see that God has co-ordinated such blessings for you in the past. Praise be to His name! Never could these loving stories have happened if we planned them on our own. Thanks for sharing yours.  I will definitely pray I don't miss any future blessings in this way.

Love be to you both Chuck and Topaz!
Marie

ned

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 03:06:36 AM »

Sorry I ran that into the ground, but my point is we cannot live a Godly life and serve God. His ways are not our ways. We must live by faith. We must reaize that it is not in a man to guide his own steps. The Lord will guide your steps. Love, focus, meditate, ponder on the Word and then do what it says. I may be muddying the water but basically love God with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul then love others as Jesus did and then do not care what people (any people) think and act in it.  CIY 

Hi CIY,
I agree with you that we must live by faith, let God guide our steps, read and obey His word, BUT do we not have to work at living a Godly life and serving God?  I know, flesh profits nothing, and I struggled with this after reading Ray's article about Free-will, I thought to myself...do I just sit back, do nothing, and live in faith alone?

A few verses come to mind where I feel we need to WORK for Godliness.  Yes, there is nothing WE can do to be called or chosen, but ONCE we are called and chosen, we need to work:

James 3:13 "Who is wise and an adept among you? Let him show his works by an ideal behavior in meekness of wisdom."
Can we not choose to show our works with meekness or haughtiness?  If we choose the latter, no doubt we'll be going through temptations until we "pass", but still we need to get it right!  Is this not one way our flesh dies to self?

1Peter 3:10-11 "...for He who is wanting to love life and be acquainted with good days, Let his tongue cease from evil And his lips speak no guile. Now let him avoid evil and do good. Let him seek peace and pursue it..."
We are instructed to first seek peace, and then PURSUE it...it will take work after we've found it to keep it.

1Cor 3:8 "Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour."

1Cor 15:58 "Therefore, my beloved brethen, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."

2Chron15:7 "Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded."

I'm sure you can appreciate there are many more verses that speak of labouring for our Lord.

And yes, if we love God with our heart, mind, body and soul, and then love others, we therefore shall be living God's will, and working for Him shall come naturally.

Let me know if I've taken your post the wrong way, I'm certainly not trying to work against you, but with you, and to clarify.

With love,
Marie

Laren

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 03:43:38 AM »

Jam 2:26  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Jam 4:7  Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Jam 4:8  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Jam 4:9  Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

Jam 4:10  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

[Phil. 2:13]---'It is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.'

Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

1Th 1:3  Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.