bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hate?  (Read 4639 times)

nightmare sasuke

Hate?
« on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:17 AM »

Why does Jesus say that mankind should love their enemies yet he says:

Luk 14:26 If anyone is coming to Me and is not hating his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and still more his soul besides, he can not be My disciple" (CLV). I traced the word "hating" through the new testament and it's used the way it sounds. Strong's defines it as such:

G3404
μισέω
miseō
mis-eh'-o
From a primary word μῖσος misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

Does Jesus literally mean "hate?"

broken

Re: Hate?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:24:53 AM »

Quote from: nightmare sasuke
Why does Jesus say that mankind should love their enemies yet he says:

Luk 14:26 If anyone is coming to Me and is not hating his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and still more his soul besides, he can not be My disciple" (CLV). I traced the word "hating" through the new testament and it's used the way it sounds. Strong's defines it as such:

G3404
?????
mise?
mis-eh'-o
From a primary word ?????? misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

Does Jesus literally mean "hate?"

The emphasis in this context is "to love less" as your Strong's says.  My other lexicons are at work, so I can't look it up at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that Thayer places the emphasis on "loving less."  The idea of course being, "if you do not love your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters less than me you cannot be my disciple."

Brandon

Sonia

Hate?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:19:32 AM »

I believe Christ is speaking of total devotion.

In the parable preceding your passage, the feast is prepared, but then:
Luk 14:18-20   And they all with one [consent] began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

Then He says:
Luk 14:26-27   If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

The true disciples are these:
Luk 14:33   So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

The Lord doesn't acknowledge halfway followers and fence-sitters. You are either devoted to Him, or not, love/hate, hot/cold.

Like this:
Luk 16:13   No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

And this:
Rev 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Sonia

eutychus

Hate?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:39:05 AM »

good post sonia

roperfam

Hate?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »

For me this is talking about flesh/law and spirit/life, Not really about hating individuals.  As Sonia talked about, you can't serve two masters.  We are to hate, and despise the flesh.  The flesh profits nothing.  Life is only through the resurrected life of Christ.

Steve Crook

Hate?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:35:56 AM »

Yes, I totally agree with it being the HATE of what is carnal/fleshy. Do we make our decisions based on spiritual reality or the physical shadow of it? If my wife wants me to stay home and spend some time with her versus do what I KNOW SPIRITUALLY the Lord wants me to do, say go to a friends house due to him/her needing some spiritual guidance, what should I do? I think emphatically we should always CHOOSE the spiritual over the physical. With Christ there is not exception to that because the flesh profits nothing and all is VAIN. My wife needs my physical attention while the Lord is spiritually guiding me to give spiriutal attention to spiritual matters. Of course, this is just an example.

Later

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.