bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark 1:12  (Read 7158 times)

Nelson Boils

Mark 1:12
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:42:37 AM »

"At once the spirit sent him out into the desert,and he was in the desert forty days,being tempted by Satan.He was with the wild animals,and angels attended him."NIV

Was Jesus at a literal desert?Does a desert have literal wild animals?Did he go 40 days without eating literal food?

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Mark 1:12
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

Yes, is the answer to your questions.  His temptation and the other related events in the desert were literal.

However, as with all things in the Scriptures, His words are Spirit and have spiritual meanings.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:51 PM »

To be honest,I thought it was figurative.Thanks for the correction,Mr John.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »

Yes, is the answer to your questions.  His temptation and the other related events in the desert were literal.

However, as with all things in the Scriptures, His words are Spirit and have spiritual meanings.

Ditto to John's post. I agree as well.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Nelson Boils

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »

I know the events where literal,but I wanted to know whether He was surrounded by literal wild animals?At first I thought maybe the wild animals could mean evil men--that He was surrounded by evil men.

Is there even a literal wild animal that can survive in a literal desert?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »

I know the events where literal,but I wanted to know whether He was surrounded by literal wild animals?At first I thought maybe the wild animals could mean evil men--that He was surrounded by evil men.

Is there even a literal wild animal that can survive in a literal desert?

Nelson,

Many animals can survive in the deserts of the middle east. I can think of a few animals in the region that are mentioned in scripture as offerings. I can also think of a few commandments on what kinds of animals not to eat.

I've been to Lebanon myself as my dad is from that country and I can assure you that its all pretty much a desert but many animals including humans make it their home.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Nelson Boils

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »

Alright,thanx for that Alex.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

1 Cor 15:32 NIV "If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons,what have I gained?.."

Are these also literal wild animals?

Kat

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »

Hi Nelson,

Yes I believe those were literal animal, they lived in the real world and there were many wild animals, Asiatic lions as well as other big cats, wolves and even Syrian brown bears at one time in the middle east, that certainly could have been a treats. They walked many places or rode animals so they were exposed to those dangers.

What Paul seems to be saying, and we know that he traveled all over the place to the different churches of believers that were being establishes and he ran risk of animal attack in his travels... not to mention that the Romans and Pharisees also were trying to kill them.

1Cor 15:30  And what about us? Why do we put ourselves in danger every hour?
v. 31  I face death every day. That is true, brothers and sisters, just as it is true that I am proud of what you are because of Christ Jesus our Lord.
v. 32  I fought wild animals in Ephesus. If I did that only for human reasons, then I have gained nothing. If we are not raised from death, "Let us eat and drink, because tomorrow we die."

If Paul had to fight off wild animals to get to the brethren to help them learn these new truths, it was worth it to him... but what would be the point in such risky travel, what "gain" would he have, if the resurrection was not true/real? BUT he knew that he was carrying precious truth to those people and that's why they "put ourselves in danger every hour," it was well worth to the Apostles they knew the priceless value of what they was doing.

Hope that is helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:10:45 PM by Kat »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

Hi Nelson,

I think Kat provided you with a good answer and I'm only going to take this a little deeper and try and add some depth to the conversation.

1 Cor 15:32 If, in the manner of men, I have fought with beastsG2341 at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me? If the dead do not rise, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die!”

The word beasts here is defined by strong's as:

G2341
thēriomacheō
thay-ree-om-akh-eh'-o
From a compound of G2342 and G3164; to be a beast fighter (in the gladiatorial show), that is, (figuratively) to encounter (furious men): - fight with wild beasts.

It is the only occurance in the bible of this word being used. This word is different than that used in Mark's account of Jesus being in the wilderness:

G2342
thērion
thay-ree'-on
Diminutive from the same as G2339; a dangerous animal: - (venomous, wild) beast.

Occurs 42 times.

Now an important thing you need to understand in scripture is that no verse interprets itself. You need to compare spiritual with spiritual. Two or three witnesses and considering the Sum of the Word.

2 Peter 2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh [carnal men / false prophets etc...] in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
2 Peter 2:12 But these [see v. 10], as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

Jude 1:10 But these [carnal men/ false prophets etc...] speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Now for completnesses sake, Peter uses a different word for beast than Mark or Paul but the same one as Jude.

Ecclesiastes 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.

So as I stated initially, whether you take the beasts Paul delt with as literal or more figuratively it changes little the over all meaning of what he was trying to get across which Kat pointed out nicely.

Personally, I believe that you can look at what Paul delt with as figurative beasts in the form of the men that Peter,Jude, and Solomon described or as literal ones and still be following after the Truth. In fact, I think almost all of scripture has duel meaning. First the natural and then the spiritual. However you lookat it, either way, Paul certainly encountered those brutish beasts of men Peter and Jude described along his journey of spreading the gospel, of that I gaurentee you!

God bless,
Alex

Nelson Boils

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »

Good points guys!

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »

2 Peter 2:10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh [carnal men / false prophets etc...] in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.
2 Peter 2:12 But these [see v. 10], as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

See the word "as".  That's the spiritual understanding of this statement as it stands.  Now then, compare spiritual with spiritual.     

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

See the word "as".  That's the spiritual understanding of this statement as it stands.  Now then, compare spiritual with spiritual.     

Hi Dave,

I'm under the impression your post is directed at me for I was the one who made the 'compare spiritual to spiritual' statement. You are saying essentially the same thing as I did only you seem to be nit picking at my spiritual comparisons. King solomon did not use the word 'as' when making his comparison between men and beasts but I think we all understand that his is a spiritual statement about the condition of man. So why is it so farfetched to apply that to Paul's too when comparing spiritual with spiritual? Unless you would also like to criticize king solomon?

I'm at a complete loss as to why your post is the way it is and perhaps I'm just mis understanding you.

God bless,
Alex

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:18:18 PM by lilitalienboi16 »

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »

Well, Alex, I guess I am at a loss why you think I was 'arguing' when you yourself say I was in agreement with what you said. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »

Well, Alex, I guess I am at a loss why you think I was 'arguing' when you yourself say I was in agreement with what you said.

Hi Dave,

That's how your post comes off. It reads like a correction, especially the, "Now then, compare spiritual with spiritual."

My apologies if i've misunderstood. Wouldn't be the first time.

God bless,
Alex

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »

That kind of thing happens.  I'm not in the habit of 'quoting' what other people have said with the 'quote' feature.  I'll usually only use it if the post I'm replying to is further back in the thread.  Sometimes it may appear I'm replying to the last post.  And sometimes I am.  But often I'm just replying to the 'thread', or to the OP, or to a new train of thought that comes in the course of 'conversation'.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »

--So whether the beasts are figurative or literal,it still doesn't change much on the verse.I think this was a good point from Mr Alex.

Ian 155

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 03:51:05 AM »

I wonder how  a "literal" Satan Looks ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:26:31 AM by Ian 155 »

rick

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »

I wonder how  a "literal" Satan Looks ???

well Ian, its not a pretty picture, first of all, Satan has two horns,one protruding from each side of his head he also has beady red eyes that even photo shop could not get rid of, he has a tail on his backside near the between his legs area if you will and walks on hoofs. Usually but not always he carries around a pitch fork and looks very ugly but if you ever see him, he shall appear as an angle of light looking like a very handsome man.

Now you know longer have to wonder.....lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.