bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hebrews 6:4-6  (Read 3210 times)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Hebrews 6:4-6
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »

Folks,
I know we have explained this verse previously, but have forgotten how it was handled.
Hebrews 6:4-6

4 For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, [d]since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Thanks for your help,
Indiana bob

Kat

Re: Hebrews 6:4-6
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »

Hi Bob,

When I look at that passage in Hebrews 6 it reminds me of Jesus' parable of the sower and the seed. Jesus tells how when people hear the word of truth and then how they can fall back into their old ways and habits, except for a few that the truth lands on "good ground... he who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Luke 8:11  "Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
v. 12  Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
v. 13  But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.
v. 14  Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
v. 15  But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

Isn't this the same as in Hebrews 6, I think that some people that hear this truth actually can catch a glimmer of that truth. But if you are not 'chosen' and predestined to be among the few you can never preserver all the pulls of the carnal flesh (as in the parable) without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

But they have returned willingly (not forced) to the filthy sins of the flesh, which now require repentance and sacrifice again, the shame that Christ suffered... at that time crucifixion was the worst and most dishonorable way to die.

Heb 10:26  For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
v. 27  but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

But do understand that if one falls away from the truth, that was their destiny and they actually never were chosen. Those that are chosen of God will go through the necessary preparation/chastening in this life and will endure to the end, God will see to it that they do. If you are the good ground - chosen, then you cannot be lost. 

John 10:27  My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
v. 28  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
v. 29  My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

But Peter put it in plain language if somebody returns to the ways of this world after embracing this truth.

2Peter 2:20  For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.
v. 21  For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.
v. 22  But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: "A DOG RETURNS TO HIS OWN VOMIT," and, "a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire."

mercy, peace and love
Kat

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Hebrews 6:4-6
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »

There are Scriptures that say the Elect were chosen by God before creation.

The Elect did not choose themselves. God chose them.

The Elect cannot unchoose themselves as the Elect.  There is no free will.

If the Elect could choose themselves, or if they could decide to fall away and not be the Elect, then that means the Elect would be in power and not God.

God decides who the Elect are, and God sees that they will make it to the 1st Resurrection.  Nothing can stop God from fulfilling what He wills.  That Power makes God, God.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.