bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funeral  (Read 5057 times)

Nelson Boils

Funeral
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »

Jeremiah 16:5-"...Do not enter a house where there is a funeral meal;do not go to mourn or show sympathy,because I have withdrawn my blessing,my love and pity from this people."

I saw this verse and thought:What goes through your mind when faced with the prospects of attending a funeral of the wicked?

I mean do you sympathise with the wicked,for the wicked,knowing very well that God is not there.

Christ didn't even deem it necessary to attend the funeral of the man who wanted to follow him.Told him flat out,to leave the evil people bury each other.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Funeral
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »

No.  He said "Let the dead bury the dead".

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

indianabob

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »

Hi Rick,
Great advice, but I wonder whether most on the forum have ever learned of the three festival seasons that the Jews observed and which taught the plan of God.
Perhaps we should review them from time to time.
Did Ray Smith ever cover that information?
Indiana Bob

Nelson Boils

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:25:04 PM »

My bad,Dave!

Thanks Rick.

Bu I wanted to know what goes through your mind when faced with the prospect of attending a funeral or arranging one,since you know what you know about the church and their doctrines?These pastors preach heresy at these funerals!

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »

Nelson, I went to a funeral about a week ago.  The lady was my grandmother's sister...actually, my mother's step-mother's sister, but she was the only grandmother I ever knew on that side of the family.  She was almost 95 years old and the last of her siblings.

The preacher set up in front of the family and didn't really 'preach' to the rest of us.  He said his piece directly to them...her grown children, grand-children and their families.  I knew that pretty much every time he said "the bible says" he followed it with something the bible doesn't say.  That doesn't just happen at funerals.  But I kept my piece, because I know that there is a 'logical' end to the doctrines of hell and heaven, and unless someone has reached that end, they aren't very interested in truth.

I left thankful that I am no longer in such comfortably-numb darkness...even though there are days when I wish I was like everyone else and had not been called out to be different.  I've had those days since I 'left' and long before I ever stumbled onto BT.  I still have these moments at times.   

When I got home, I had to endure a piece of another conversation that I walked in on where there was doubt expressed whether this lady or her her sister were "really saved".  And I said a little prayer that the 'logical end' of these doctrines might cause one or the other of the participants in this discussion to ask a pertinent question.  It didn't happen, but I know it will.  Love never fails.  The house built on sand MUST FALL.  It's GOOD that it does, but it's hard to bear when all gets washed away.

I don't know if I did right, or if I did wrong.  But that's what I did. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

octoberose

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »

That's a very good idea Rick. I would appreciate a study like that. Also, I don't know much about the festivals.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 09:50:14 PM »

Just to add.  I've given occasional thought to my own 'funeral'.  It's possible my mother will outlive me, and likely my sisters will.  The "plan" I first had likely won't work, because I've lost touch with the person I wanted to 'speak'.  If somebody wants to 'volunteer', you'll have to be vetted first.  ;)

I'd like a couple or three of my own songs or musical pieces to be played, and maybe I can remember some hymns that 'worship in Truth'.  And I'd like the comments to revolve around the "comforting words about death" paper that Ray wrote, and focus on death and resurrection.  Maybe I can even make it easy and write the 'speech' and just have somebody else read it--hopefully someone that can answer questions rightly and with humility.

I can't afford to pay you, however.  :)   

But I know my family dynamic.  It won't matter in the end what I want...they will misunderstand my intentions and do what they want.  And I guess that will be fine too.  After all, I'll be dead and won't be looking down on them from heaven--even if they are sure I'm in hell.  So maybe it will be OK if the dead bury the dead.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »

Interesting Dave,thanks for that!I guess,sorry for your loss!

It sounds like you in the midst.
Why do you say your mother may outlive you?(no need to answer,if you don't want to)

I've never been to a funeral ever since God opened my eyes.Actually i've always thought funerals to be a waste of time-serious!I just never saw a need to attend one.I may go to the house before the funeral to sympathise with the grieved,or call them,but I hardly attend funerals.

Concerning my own funeral,i've thought about cremation.It's Quick, and considering how we Africans do our thing,it will probably be cheaper,and I don't want to leave anyone with a financial burden.

octoberose

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »

I'd like a funeral. We do them in our family, but we don't have an open casket. I've been thinking along the same lines as Dave in that I need to write out the true good news to share, instead of someone saying that I'm watching them from heaven.  And I'd like them to sing Be Thou my Vision, because it's one of my favorite hymns.  We'll be buried in a National Cemetery because my husband is retired military. Yep, me and all the soldiers and their spouses all dead together.  :)   Someone can smile now.
 The thing about dying is not that I need to cling onto this life for all it's worth- it's that I know what it's like to lose a mother and a grandmother and it's painful for those who are left behind. If my mother was still alive she'd be 98 years old (she had me late in life!). I still miss her and wish I could speak with her. So, those you leave are grieving and that's what is important to me.

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 02:02:31 AM »

http://bible-truths.com/lake4.html

From the above--the first few lines of a new heading. 

THE THREE FESTIVALS AND THE SALVATION OF ALL

There is a beautiful type in the Old Testament that clearly demonstrates when and in what manner all these Unsaved masses will be saved. This Old Testament type is illustrated all through the New Testament, but the blind and unperceiving eyes of Christendom have for the most part failed to see it, believe it, or teach it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.