bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The son of man  (Read 3576 times)

rick

The son of man
« on: July 02, 2015, 05:47:27 PM »

:)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:45:36 PM by Rick »

sansmile

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • my beautiful grandchildren
Re: The son of man
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

Hi.I think the key words here are "like" .
Walk in the Spirit

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:02:31 AM »

Dan 7:13  "I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him.
v. 14  Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.

Looking at those words in Daniel and then seeing what Jesus said to the high priest during His trial...

Mat 26:64  Jesus said to him, "It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven."

It seems to be a distinct connection to what was said in Daniel and what Jesus said there... the OT is prophetic and of course Jesus knew He was the fulfillment of that. "Son of man" was a self-designation title Jesus had taken for Himself: it is used in Matthew 30 times, in Mark 13 times, in Luke 26 times, and in John 12 times. This is a term that shows that He came down to the level of a 'man,' and it reminded the people of it often. Jesus came as a humble servant and this title was befitting of that too.

Mark 10:45  For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

But as the end of His ministry drew near Jesus did begin to reveal more of who He was and when the bystanders ask what He meant by the title Son of man, He told them.

John 12:34  The people answered Him, "We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can You say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up'? Who is this Son of Man?"
v. 35  Then Jesus said to them, "A little while longer the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going.
v. 36  While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light." These things Jesus spoke, and departed, and was hidden from them.

So I think the title is prophetic, as in Daniel it clearly shows His mission as the Messiah. But He used the expression "Son of man" to show that He had a direct connection to humanity, as being a 'man' in the flesh the same as we are. But He finally did connected that title to who He really was for His disciples and He told them in no uncertain terms who the Son of man was.

Luke 22:67  "If You are the Christ, tell us." But He said to them, "If I tell you, you will by no means believe.
v. 68  And if I also ask you, you will by no means answer Me or let Me go.
v. 69  Hereafter the Son of Man will sit on the right hand of the power of God."
v. 70  Then they all said, "Are You then the Son of God?" So He said to them, "You rightly say that I am."
v. 71  And they said, "What further testimony do we need? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth."

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:08:31 PM by Kat »

dave

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

v. 70  Then they all said, "Are You then the Son of God?" So He said to them, "You rightly say that I am."

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
I know it's not about the son of man, but talk about identity!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.