bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stewardship and finance  (Read 5369 times)

Reg

Stewardship and finance
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:14:47 AM »

I'm trying to understand God's will when it comes to finances. I want to be a good steward and am coming to the understanding that I cannot really own anything/act as an owner. I have made a lot of mistakes in the past that caused problems.

For the first time in my adult life, my husband and I find ourselves in a position of being able to be debt free. God has given us a little at this point and we wish to be good and faithful servants.

Right now we are trying to separate old Babylonian thinking and replace it with God's wisdom. We would love to stop renting and have a house but we would have to get a long term mortgage. I keep reading about how it is not good to be indebted to anyone. At the same time, we feel convicted to start a small business which we can start without a loan. My husband is concerned that renting is not a good investment but we both agree that we cannot both buy a house and start a business at the same time.

We cannot help but rent a place to have shelter. I'm afraid that getting into a mortgage is more of a gamble than an investment. I know I do not need to worry about what I will eat, wear etc. because God provides and he knows my needs. I also know that I have to provide for my family, be generous with others and not be in the pursuit of wealth. However, I am really mixed up about future desires and what is of God. For example, I desire to have children, to be a good wife and mother and also support my friends and family. I do not feel comfortable moving forward with children without being secure in how to care for them. It's not just me anymore, I do worry about my responsibility to them. I've been told by others to basically wing it, just produce some babies and let God take care of the rest. Am I wrong in comparing this to measuring the cost before building the structure?

I know this post is a bit all over the place. I'm afraid to impulsively move forward like I have in the past. So far, my husband and I are not getting any strong direction so we are waiting. I'm having trouble finding insight on this as many sources are stuck in the whole tithing concept. Anyone have suggested reading on this or wisdom to share?

Thanks,

Reg

rick

Re: Stewardship and finance
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »

Hello Reg,

What comes to mind while reading your post would be Rom 12:2

Rom 12:2  And be not fashioned according to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, and ye may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

What boggles my mind is that so many people in America have been deceived into thinking happiness is found in the material world.

I think a great example would be people waiting outside of Walmart or Best buys starting from 11:00 pm waiting for these stores to open up around 7:am so they can be the first 100th or what ever the number of persons it is to get into the store to get a 500.00 dollar tv for $250.00, if that is not being materialistic minded what is ?

When it comes to finances one should always ask themselves how much does one really need and is this a need or a want ?

If I go to the store to buy one thing I walkout with the one thing I went there for, not 10 things but only the one thing.

To the one who lives like this is equal to the one who’s checking account grows strong.

That’s good stewardship thinking.

God bless.  :)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

Just someone's opinion: http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/03/why-i-am-never-going-to-own-a-home-again/

Just my opinion: Starting a successful business will give you more freedom but new businesses fail all the time. If you can start your business without having to borrow money, why not give it a try for a year or so? The most you will lose is some money and time. But if you succeed ... 

The bible has stories about believers being good business managers. There is a proverb about a master giving some servants talents:

Mat 25:20  And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

Mat 25:21  His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. ...

And this is one of my favorites:

Pro 31:10  Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies ...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:18:16 AM by Dennis Vogel »

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

We would love to stop renting and have a house but we would have to get a long term mortgage.

FWIW when you have a mortgage you are basically just 'renting' the house anyway.  People call others with mortgages homeowners....they are not.  One doesn't own the home until they own it free and in the clear.  Miss a few payments or fail to pay the property taxes and we find out if we really own the home or not LOL.

If your thinking of starting a business might it be better to continue to rent where you can walk away from it at the end of the existing lease instead of going into debt on a home?  True your not building equity by renting but you can't depend on home values to go up anymore either.  There is a real spate of deflation starting around the world in if [when] it comes here even more are going to find themselves underwater on their mortgages.  Might not be a bad idea to keep your debt load low while starting a business.  If God blesses you and it takes off and does really well then perhaps at some point you can purchase a home outright or at that point take out a real short term mortgage thereby limiting your risk.  Just a thought.

lurquer

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »

I was going to post that very article Dennis posted... excellent advice.  I like what Arion said too.

A (mortgaged) house is not an "investment".  At least not the one you're living in. That is the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the 'Merican sheep.  It's actually a money pit. And, as Arion said, it never really is "yours".  Even once the mortgage is paid...you rent it from the state--in perpetuity--in the form of 'property taxes'.  Failure to pay means they take their house and land back, and you find yourself homeless. 

The only reason I can see an advantage to buying vs. renting is if you intend to build your house yourself (on a piece of land you bought), and/or you intend to use the land as a business to generate income (farming it, having a tree nursery, etc.). Otherwise, there's far more advantages to renting.

Read that James Altucher article.  When your done with that, read this one on the scam of 401K plans.. 
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/08/james-altucher/your-401k-plan-is-a-scam/

Doug

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »

Hi Reg,

Starting a business with no debt to me is a great idea. Buying a house can come latter. Buying a home to me would be a low priority but I do not agree that buying a house is a bad idea. However, I would first try and pay cash or have a small debt. Yes if you do not pay the government the taxes you can lose your home but if you do not pay rent you are on the street as well. Nothing is without some risk. Living below your means and very modest relieves much stress.

AwesomeSavior

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 08:40:12 PM »

"I've been told by others to basically wing it, just produce some babies and let God take care of the rest. Am I wrong in comparing this to measuring the cost before building the structure?"

Reg… You might want to consider who your counselors are if you have people in your life who tell you to just "wing it" when it comes to having children. This is one of the most important decisions in your life, and you're never wrong in waiting on the Lord's timing, for ANYTHING.

Extol

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »

Hi Reg,

Echoing what Arion said, you're still making a monthly payment whether you rent or "own". I don't agree with people who say "Don't rent--you're throwing your money away." I have heard intelligent people say this, yet it is demonstrably false. You're not "throwing the money away"---you're getting one month of comfortable living space for it! If paying for heated and air conditioned living space with a roof over your head is "throwing money away", then you're throwing money away every time you spend money. If you have $100,000 cash to buy a house and the taxes are only $150/month, yes, then it is better to buy. But most people do not have $100,000 cash, and they have to get a mortgage. So they either rent for $750 a month or pay $750 a month for mortgage/taxes.

There are some nice things about getting a mortgage---you can build up equity, you can do what you want to the house/yard, and in the case of my family, have horses and chickens. But there are also some nice things about renting an apartment--having an on-site maintenance man, not having yard work/mowing, and so on. There are advantages to both, but either way you make a monthly payment.

I think the thing that scares some people about mortgages is the number 30. It can be tempting to get wrapped up in that number, and get the feeling that you're signing away 30 years of your life, or committing to stay 30 years in one place. But of course you don't have to stay the whole 30 years. Before getting married I was a wanderer and traveled a lot. When it was time to finally get a car, it seemed like a really big deal to get a three-year car loan! I didn't even have it the whole three years---I traded it in for another car (with a longer, higher priced loan). But after awhile I got used to it. It just came out of the account once a month and I didn't think much of it. I certainly got my money's worth. Don't be worried about which way you'll go---you say you're in the position of being debt free, so it's not going to ruin things if you get a mortgage. My wife and I had plenty of debt when we got our mortgage (and have since added even more debt), but life is still good. God provides for us.  8)

Reg

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 04:57:20 AM »

I really appreciate everyone's responses and will be following through on the reading suggestions! 

repottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:33:49 PM »

I'll be sure to pray for God to grant you and your husband an understanding of His will during this confusing and uncertain time, Reg.
Your brother in Christ,
Randy

friendofJC

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »

I suggest looking into mobile homes. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.