bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practise to be lights  (Read 4311 times)

Colin

Practise to be lights
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »

On reading through Ray’s LOF,  Part 12 “God Judges the World in a Pond”, I paused where, under the subheading God is Calling You to be a Part of His Marvellous Plan, Ray referred to Philippians 2.
"That ye may be blameless and harmless, THE SONS OF GOD, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world" (Phil. 2:15).
Again, under the subheading The Sea of Galilee versus the Lake of Fire, Ray wrote……..
Now then, where do you suppose that it is that WE, the Body of Christ, the Sons of God, receive our trials, training, and experience of overcoming this world?    Answer:      "That ye [all of you] may be blameless and harmless [innocent], the SONS OF GOD, without rebuke [fault], in the MIDST of a crooked and perverse nation [generation], among whom ye shine as lights in the world." 
Upon seeing Philippians 2:15 mentioned, I checked the surrounding verses and found they were all connected.
Philip 2:12  KJV Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13  For [because] it is God which worketh [is active] in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Ray has often explained how, with a correct attitude, we are to achieve our salvation, acknowledging (with fear) God’s active part, as we live our lives.
14  Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15  [In order] That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Paul wrote that in order to be “lights” to those, who at this stage are unconverted, our conduct should be exemplary, not being considered as being no different from them.
 That would include the way in which we are courteous to each other on the forum, for we may not realise who - apart from God - is reading what and how we post.   
As Ray wrote, where do you suppose …WE ……, receive our….. training, and experience of overcoming this world?
The forum is an excellent place to practise, gain valuable experience so we can all improve.  Thanks to all for the contributions on the forum as we “sit in class”.   I’m the “new boy” desiring to learn with you.   Colin

repottinger

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Practise to be lights
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »

Those are fantastic points, Colin, especially the one about being the "light of the world" through our conduct and treatment of others on the forum--a perfect example!
Sincerely,
Randy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:04:54 AM by repottinger »

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »

That would include the way in which we are courteous to each other on the forum, for we may not realise who - apart from God - is reading what and how we post.

The moderators walk a fine line much of the time Colin. We want people to express themselves but many of us have our own ideas that we know for certain are true, including myself, but may not be true. So sometimes people's feelings get hurt.

But overall I think this forum has been fairly civil over the years.

I expect this forum to grow a little as the YouTube channel is slowly gaining momentum. People are drawn to the tithing video and subscribe. Then some watch more videos and unsubscribe when they don't like what they hear. We've had over 14,000 views since the beginning of the year and net new subscribers each week.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

Hi Colin, good advice. Yes we are all learning when and how to wield our sword or keep it tucked away... we have to get the proper understanding of applying the truths we are learning. Jesus' advice is always priceless and important.

Mat 10:16  "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise (G5429) as serpents and harmless (G185) as doves.

G5429 phronimos
Thayer Definition:
1) intelligent, wise
2) prudent, i.e. mindful of one’s interests

G185 akeraios
Thayer Definition:
1) unmixed, pure as in wines or metals
2) of the mind, without a mixture of evil, free from guile, innocent, simple

Just thought I would add a bit to what you were saying.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

narroway

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »

Praise the Lord Colin.

judy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »

Colin, you said something very wise and probably didn't even think twice. Most people think they learn by just reading which i have to say God's word holds grace and meditating on it brings help. But say the word PRACTICE to some and well,  one must practice also. There are still situations where I have to practice to this day, a few things are still not automatic with my carnal little mind and mouth. I pick a virtue now and then and practice it because as my dad said, "habits die 3 days after you are dead" Really enjoyed your post. judy

Colin

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:56:38 AM »

Hi Judy
Since becoming a volunteer and putting into practice the principle of doing for others who are in need, I am becoming more acutely aware of the value and purpose of several scriptures which come to mind.  We do indeed begin our steps to qualifying, exactly as Ray indicated; we learn “in the midst” of the people around us, while actively doing what we are able to, for the less fortunate, where we have the ability to do so. 
  Not all have the same opportunities and some have physical limitations to what they can do.
Kat mentioned, “It is what is inside us” that matters.
 If physical disabilities debar any of us from helping physically, that is taken into account; if however, we are able to assist, then James addresses this topic, as he commences in verse 8 of chapter 2
Jas 2:8  If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9  But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

As I visit different people, I meet a variety of personalities; some, because of their impending death are very angry and/or are “in denial”…others are more placid and resigned to the inevitable.  Thus, some are “easier” to deal with than others, but James tells us not to “select” those we are to “love less”.   

James continues and raises the situation of where people are in need.
Jas 2:15  If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,    Jas 2:16  And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

We consider this, basically from the physical standpoint.    Somebody is hungry….if you love them, as we ought, then feed him/her - if we have the means to do so.      Of course, we cannot feed all those who are starving.
In my case, it is not a matter of providing physical food.  The folk I meet in their homes need to be “fed” with companionship, comfort, transportation to doctor’s appointments, and respite for their carer for a brief while…. e.g.
Viewing it on a spiritual plane, in the future many people will need similar love shown to them as they recover from life’s woes; they will need “spiritual food”, “spiritual warmth”.   My activities now are providing me with a very small amount of experience as I practise and strive to qualify for that much bigger job ahead.   

Knowing basic theory is a first step; we learn that by reading the scriptures and God’s spirit imparts understanding to us as we put forth the effort.    (Job 32: 8). (2 Tim 2:15)

But, as in my earlier days as I studied the principles of chemistry, it was not until I actually handled acids, beakers, and distillation apparatus that I could be considered as a “chemist”.  I needed the practical experience.  Yes, I broke a bit of glassware along the way…..but eventually became skilled and congratulated for my expertise.
  Life is like that….we “break things” - we make mistakes, but keep on trying again.    Learning to drive a car is similar.   I didn’t learn to be a good driver from just knowing the theory of how an internal combustion engine works.   
 I hope I can contribute from my experiences, which are on-going, and provide some “food for thought”.   Colin

John from Kentucky

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »

Matt 6:1-4

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

“So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

“But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

Colin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:20:07 PM »

Hi John
Thank you for your reminder of Matthew 6 in relation to carrying out our kind deeds for others.

If we consider several connected verses here John, we will see that the same instructions apply to when we pray.  Any who would make a public display are likened to hypocrites and if I were to choose to walk about bearing a huge badge so as to seek men’s approbation or rush to get my photo in the local newspaper to receive admiration, then I would be violating the whole purpose of doing good toward others in need. 

I avoid doing that, firstly by asking God for the wisdom I need to recognise what you have pointed out and I am very conscious of the fact that we can so readily become “puffed up”, because we are prone to give in to our own carnal nature.   Humility and Godly love do not come “naturally”  -  the opposite does, self-importance.

I do wear a small identifying tag so that when hospital nurses see me with a client, they recognise that I, as they are, am assisting somebody in need and on spotting my identification, they cooperate more eagerly, so that the person in need receives prompt attention.   Everybody in the various health departments is “openly” doing his or her best to render assistance and none, I suspect, are doing it solely for self-aggrandisement. 
Is this contravening the lesson of doing it “in secret” as per Matthew 6?    I don’t think so. 

God looks upon the heart and knows the dedication and genuineness of each helper.     Would you accuse the nurses and doctors, John,  of “parading” their “alms” because they are not doing it “in secret”?            I visit clients’ homes as well and the neighbours know that Hospice personnel call to render assistance….I do not “call after dark”, so that I won’t be seen in public.   We need to be aware of being too Pharisaic in our approach in interpreting scripture and of giving the impression of criticising others by imputing motives.

I have read many of your replies over several years John, and have noted that you provide much good material – you do give food for thought.   Your style has however, at times, been one of using scriptures as bullets, firing them out of your computer with the perceived aim of “scoring a hit”.  In this instance, you provided no commentary and the effect I felt was one of condemnatory warning.

I posted just recently some thoughts about being courteous and kind towards one another on the forum and I noted that you did not care to comment on that. 

Why did you choose to respond to my sharing my experiences by commencing as a volunteer and striving to be a light?  I did that, not to seek a pat on the back, but to use it as an encouragement for members and any visitors to the forum; it was meant to highlight the contents of the scriptures I appended.   

Jesus had a couple of “high spirited” disciples, who were named “sons of thunder” (Mark 3:17).     They were quick to “fire off”.  And Jesus rebuked them for doing so.
Luke 9:55  But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

There is a lesson for all of us as we correspond with each other via the forum.   I include myself in that.     Colin

judy

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 02:25:41 AM »

Hi Colin, I just want to say I saw your post as practical application. Thank you. judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.