> General Discussions

2 Thess 1:9

(1/2) > >>

oceanman:
It says in greek eternal destruction. Would any one like to comment on this? Any time I see everlasting or forever I am curious.
Oceanman

zander:
Its supposed to be translated Aionian destruction.  Aionian, meaning age - abiding, meaning it will eventually come to an end, once everyone has been purged of sin.

use e-sword and study further the scriptures to see my point.

oceanman:

--- Quote from: zander ---Its supposed to be translated Aionian destruction.  Aionian, meaning age - abiding, meaning it will eventually come to an end, once everyone has been purged of sin.

--- End quote ---

Hi Zander
Thanks for reply. I used the Greek translation and it did not appear Aionian like some other translations do. Isnt that where Aionian comes from the Greek. Iam using Greek-English ir. Thanks
Oceanman/Steve

oceanman:

--- Quote from: oceanman ---
--- Quote from: zander ---Its supposed to be translated Aionian destruction.  Aionian, meaning age - abiding, meaning it will eventually come to an end, once everyone has been purged of sin.

--- End quote ---

Hi Zander
Thanks for reply. I used the Greek translation and it did not appear Aionian like some other translations do. Isnt that where Aionian comes from the Greek. Iam using Greek-English ir. Thanks
Oceanman/Steve
--- End quote ---

I went to e sword and it said the same thing, please answer!!! There is no Aionian.
Steve

zander:
Hi Oceanman.

ESword should say Aionion, Eonian or something similar.  What it translates to may be somethign different.  i dont have esword on my work laptop so i cant see it.  tell me what it says on your esword.

I would recomend further study into it though.  A good place to start is on Ray's essay on the subject.  http://bible-truths.com/aeonion.htm But Ray is not the only source.  There are many.  i would recommend the first 80 or so pages of a book also called "God's Eonian purpose".  If you dont have access to that, there is a plethora of study on the net.  Compare and contrast it with study where people are convinced that it means "Eternal" too, so you can see both sides.  That way, you are not being holed into one belief, but you also have the benefit of both sides.  I always encourage to see both sides as this is the only way one can see the truth - to compare the rubbish and the nonsense, with the stuff that makes sense.

Personally i use the Firm's (Church'S) argument of context with this word aionian/everlasting, in that i always tell them that put in context, everlasting doesnt make sense in most places. And it doesnt!  For example, in Matt 25:46 it should read in esword something like- Then they will go away to eonian chastisement, but the righteous to eonian life

Pray tell, how can someone be "chastised" forever?  To chastise is to correct in the goal of making one or it better.  See dictionary for clarification

Post me what it says on esword with Thess and we can go from there as like i say, i dont have it on my work laptop and i have more time at home to access it anyway.

take care

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version