bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Likened to precious stones  (Read 2528 times)

Colin

Likened to precious stones
« on: September 05, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Dear Forum

I have read about and feel for those members who have posted accounts of the problems of life they are facing.
Additional to that, in supporting folk who are at the point of death (as I go about my Hospice volunteer duties) it brings to mind …..

Philip 4:6KJV  Be careful for [ full of care about] nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Paul concludes his thoughts with this guidance ….
8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

The struggles we all face - to varying degrees - do affect us, understandably, and it can seem trite for some to say, “don’t worry”.   It is only natural for us to be apprehensive in life-threatening situations.   Nobody feels like adopting a blasé state of mind, however we are encouraged to focus on other levels.   

I felt directed to examine “think on” and found it is translated from the Greek logizomai  meaning, “take an inventory”.
One thought often leads into another and Malachi 3:16 came to mind, as I linked that to Jesus, as it were, taking stock of His “treasures”.

Mal 3:16  Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
17  And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up [Hebrew asah] my jewels; and I will spare [commiserate, have compassion with] them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

The forum gives us an opportunity to “speak often to one another”, concerning what we understand about God’s plan and it does not go unnoticed.
Verse 17 mentions “God accomplishing or finishing off His jewels”.   While the Hebrew is not restricted to precious stones, but encompasses “one’s own peculiar treasure”, the KJV mention of “jewellery” caused me to refer to Revelation 21 where several different types of precious stones are listed.
We have an advantage over Paul in that he was not able to know what John had been shown in vision and wrote for us to study.

The symbols of Revelation have been misunderstood by so many to be literal; they jokingly use the term “pearly gates”, which to them are literal.     
Following Ray’s admonition to “pay attention to all the words”, it is clear that the “bride, the wife to be” that John was told he would see was not a literal beautiful woman, but was a vision of a city, which is a symbol.   
Rev 21:9  And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
Rev 21:10  And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
Rev 21:11  Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

What John said he saw and wrote, as instructed, was a vision of a city, with foundations, walls, gates made of treasures, precious stones.    Many different stones are listed and shows not only the different building materials represented – but also the diversity of the saints, which they represent. 

I have done some fossicking, during my travels and found semi-precious stones - each one has its own beauty, patterns and brilliance.

Paul does use the analogy of our being building-material and is in line with John’s vision.

1Cor 3:9  For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
1Cor 3:10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
2Cor 5:1  For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2Cor 5:2  For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

I found this particular avenue of study to be something about which I can “think on” and wanted to share it with you.       Colin

judy

Re: Likened to precious stones
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:43:20 AM »

Colin, it is an honor to be a little gem in the process of building with you.  More beautiful and stronger gems than myself hold up the fortress and know I am quite content just sparkling a bit now and then. Bless you, judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.