bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elihu's address to Job  (Read 3347 times)

Colin

Elihu's address to Job
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:40:27 AM »

Dear forum

Many times I have read the address by the young man Elihu to Job.   What he had to say covers six chapters in the KJV  - a considerable portion, and he was vindicated in what he told Job.
In fact, I found it somewhat surprising to discover that this young man became very angry at how his fellow “advisers” had confronted and condemned Job; Elihu was also angry with Job’s self-justification.

Job 32:2  Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite, of the kindred of Ram: against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God.
Job 32:3  Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job. 
It was Elihu who anounced that man has a spirit and that it is the “inspiration of God” which imparts understanding.
Job 32:8  But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding [Hebrew neshamah  - often translated “breath”].     9  Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.

This is echoed in Isaiah 42.

Isa 42:5  Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

We know that God (the Father and Jesus Christ) is spirit….and also called the “Father of spirits”.
Heb 12:9  Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Communication then, is by way of spirit.    What am I leading up to?   

Elihu continued with his discourse and said something which caught my attention.   Elihu said that for the purpose of  correction/instruction, God can communicate with us even while we are half asleep.

Job 33:12  Behold, in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man.
Job 33:13  Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters.
Job 33:14  For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
Job 33:15  In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
Job 33:16  Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
Job 33:17  That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. 

On numerous occasions, after having read and contemplated some of Ray’s articles/transcripts prior to retiring to bed, the next morning - as I am slowly awakening, I have had clarity come to me of what I had been reading the previous evening.    If correction/instruction can be “transferred”, then perhaps the same applies to clarification.

How to explain it, I have asked myself – while being thankful.    Has anybody else experienced this?
While thinking about that, I also have had the following thoughts…..about “a still small voice”….and wondered if the two ideas were inter-related.     I searched for the reference and found…..

1Kings 19:9  And he [Elijah] came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
1Kings 19:10  And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
1Kings 19:11  And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
1Kings 19:12  And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
1Kings 19:13  And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

Well, that’s the same question and answer already given …..

1Kings 19:14  And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
1Kings 19:15  And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria:

Now, I’m well aware of people who say they have “heard voices” and done very strange things etc.    I’m not talking about that sort of thing.   I am wondering if we actively seek to understand more of the scriptures and what God expects of us in our “seeking the kingdom”, that the answer that we “find” might come to us upon our bed - even as we “slumber”.     

We don’t have to expect to hear truth from preachers who shout at the top of their voice – God can work with us at a much quieter and effective level, it seems.

It make me wonder, seeing that Job - who was a “righteous man” (according to God) and still had a “ways to go” was told by Elihu that God does employ an “unexpected method” in communicating with our spirit.   Is there a message for us to be more attentive?  Is this another way in which God speaks?   

Job 34 makes for some interesting study, as Elihu continues his speech.   What Elihu said was a prelude to what God subsequently told Job, as He opened Job’s eyes to what he was - and what we are.    Are there any details of where Ray might have touched on this subject?       I hope this is a suitable subject for the forum.      Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.