bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scriptures or not scripture is the question?  (Read 8299 times)

rick

Scriptures or not scripture is the question?
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »

I知 having an issue with these scriptures, Has Ray done anything in writing concerning these scriptures ?

What I知 wondering is if these scriptures are actually in the Hebrew or Greek manuscripts.
I cannot help to think these scriptures sound more secular than God inspired to me.

I know Ray already pointed out some fallacies in the King James version although more about the meaning of hell verses Hades.

I知 assuming these fallacies came about in the middle ages or dark ages and what I知 wondering is if perhaps a particular king made sure these scriptures became part of the word of God thus adding to the word of God.

Rom 13:1  Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers: for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be are ordained of God.

I understand God is absolutely the higher power but where is says ( the powers that be ) are ordained of God. My thoughts here would be is there a secular authority inserting ( the powers that be ) in this scripture ? 

Rom 13:2  Therefore he that resisteth the power, withstandeth the ordinance of God: and they that withstand shall receive to themselves judgment.

In Rom 13: 2 I discover if I resist the secular rulers I shall receive judgment, could this judgement be hells fire that was added to the word of God to keep we the peasants in line ?

Heb 13:17  Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit to them: for they watch in behalf of your souls, as they that shall give account; that they may do this with joy, and not with grief: for this were unprofitable for you.

Is Heb 13:17 trying to get me to believe that our politicians are watching over my soul ? And if I resist its unprofitable to me? Gods will is to save all so I guess this scripture must be talking about prison or being executed for not obeying the secular rulers.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. And wouldest thou have no fear of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise from the same:

Rom 13 : 3 is a  pure secular statement to me as I read it.

So, I知 wondering if these scriptures are being added to the word of God ?

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Scriptures or not scripture is the question?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »

I知 having an issue with these scriptures, Has Ray done anything in writing concerning these scriptures ?

What I知 wondering is if these scriptures are actually in the Hebrew or Greek manuscripts.
I cannot help to think these scriptures sound more secular than God inspired to me.

I know Ray already pointed out some fallacies in the King James version although more about the meaning of hell verses Hades.

I知 assuming these fallacies came about in the middle ages or dark ages and what I知 wondering is if perhaps a particular king made sure these scriptures became part of the word of God thus adding to the word of God.

Rom 13:1  Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers: for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be are ordained of God.

I understand God is absolutely the higher power but where is says ( the powers that be ) are ordained of God. My thoughts here would be is there a secular authority inserting ( the powers that be ) in this scripture ? 

Rom 13:2  Therefore he that resisteth the power, withstandeth the ordinance of God: and they that withstand shall receive to themselves judgment.

In Rom 13: 2 I discover if I resist the secular rulers I shall receive judgment, could this judgement be hells fire that was added to the word of God to keep we the peasants in line ?

Heb 13:17  Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit to them: for they watch in behalf of your souls, as they that shall give account; that they may do this with joy, and not with grief: for this were unprofitable for you.

Is Heb 13:17 trying to get me to believe that our politicians are watching over my soul ? And if I resist its unprofitable to me? Gods will is to save all so I guess this scripture must be talking about prison or being executed for not obeying the secular rulers.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. And wouldest thou have no fear of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise from the same:

Hi Rick,

The simple answre is no. Jesus taught and acted according to this same spirit and wisdom.

Mark 12:14-17
14 And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?
15 Shall we give, or shall we not give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye me? bring me a penny, that I may see it.
16 And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's.
17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.

Lastly consider Jesus own actions when He was delivered up and tried.

John 19:8-11
8 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid;
9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.
10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?
11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

Consider the Old testatement as well:

Numbers 16:1-3, 19-33

1 Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:
2 And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown:
3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the Lord is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the Lord?

19 And Korah gathered all the congregation against them unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto all the congregation.
20 And the Lord spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
21 Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment.
22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?
23 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
24 Speak unto the congregation, saying, Get you up from about the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram.
25 And Moses rose up and went unto Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Israel followed him.
26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of their's, lest ye be consumed in all their sins.
27 So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children.
28 And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the Lord hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.
29 If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the Lord hath not sent me.
30 But if the Lord make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the Lord.
31 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:
32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

You might want to read the whole account above, I just took the beginning and conclusion of the matter.

Here is another account which has to do directly with the secular leadership.

Daniel 4:19-25

19 Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, was astonied for one hour, and his thoughts troubled him. The king spake, and said, Belteshazzar, let not the dream, or the interpretation thereof, trouble thee. Belteshazzar answered and said, My lord, the dream be to them that hate thee, and the interpretation thereof to thine enemies.
20 The tree that thou sawest, which grew, and was strong, whose height reached unto the heaven, and the sight thereof to all the earth;
21 Whose leaves were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all; under which the beasts of the field dwelt, and upon whose branches the fowls of the heaven had their habitation:
22 It is thou, O king, that art grown and become strong: for thy greatness is grown, and reacheth unto heaven, and thy dominion to the end of the earth.
23 And whereas the king saw a watcher and an holy one coming down from heaven, and saying, Hew the tree down, and destroy it; yet leave the stump of the roots thereof in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven times pass over him;
24 This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree of the most High, which is come upon my lord the king:
25 That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

God bless,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response, after reading the scriptures you put forth I知 not convinced as of yet, I believe my answer will not be answered in one topic or one post.

However you did bring to my attention which I had not understood before is in the last paragraph in Daniel 4 :25 where it says (  till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. )

How does God rule in the kingdom of man ? So we know Christ has not returned and set up His kingdom, we know we are still in this age and not the next age where Christ will reign as King.

So how does God rule in the kingdom of man ?  I cannot help to think of Rays teachings on the myth of free will, so to me Rays teaching appear to explain how God does rule in the kingdom of man or how God affects the affairs of man, man does not have free will, how else could God rule in the kingdom of man.

Can you recall if Ray covered Daniel 4 :25 in his writings ? I知 seeing that statement as backing up what Ray had taught us concerning free will or the lack of it I should say.

Thanks Alex and God bless.  :)

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »

Hi Rick,

I fail to see how the above examples don't convince you that the scriptures in question are not spurious. They are almost perfect matches.

Here are more old testatment examples:

Jeremiah 27:1-11
1 In the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah came this word unto Jeremiah from the Lord, saying,
2 Thus saith the Lord to me; Make thee bonds and yokes, and put them upon thy neck,
3 And send them to the king of Edom, and to the king of Moab, and to the king of the Ammonites, and to the king of Tyrus, and to the king of Zidon, by the hand of the messengers which come to Jerusalem unto Zedekiah king of Judah;
4 And command them to say unto their masters, Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Thus shall ye say unto your masters;
5 I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me.
6 And now have I given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant; and the beasts of the field have I given him also to serve him.
7 And all nations shall serve him, and his son, and his son's son, until the very time of his land come: and then many nations and great kings shall serve themselves of him.
8 And it shall come to pass, that the nation and kingdom which will not serve the same Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, and that will not put their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, that nation will I punish, saith the Lord, with the sword, and with the famine, and with the pestilence, until I have consumed them by his hand.
9 Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon:
10 For they prophesy a lie unto you, to remove you far from your land; and that I should drive you out, and ye should perish.
11 But the nations that bring their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, and serve him, those will I let remain still in their own land, saith the Lord; and they shall till it, and dwell therein.

Daniel 5:18
"Your Majesty, the Most High God gave your father Nebuchadnezzar sovereignty and greatness and glory and splendor.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »

Hi Alex,

There are some things I would like to say to help me with my understanding however the conversation would turn political which as you know is not going to happen on this forum.

I feel my hands are tied behind my back on this forum with this topic so I found another forum where I can explore the things of God and my understanding of scripture without condemnation.

Thanks anyways Alex.

God bless.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

Hi Rick,

Rom 13:1  All of you must obey the government rulers. Everyone who rules was given the power to rule by God. And all those who rule now were given that power by God.
v. 2  So anyone who is against the government is really against something God has commanded. Those who are against the government bring punishment on themselves.
v. 3  People who do right don't have to fear the rulers. But those who do wrong must fear them. Do you want to be free from fearing them? Then do only what is right, and they will praise you. (Easy Read Version)

In looking over this passage in Romans 13, it seems to me all this is saying is to live a peaceful life and not stir up trouble. Keeping the peace is primarily what the law enforcement is all about, and it is necessary for society, which is exactly what Romans 13 is saying. Certainly there is corruption in law enforcement, as there is in any worldly organization, that is not the discussion. And Paul gave these kinds of instructions in other places as well.

1Thess 4:9  But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another;
v. 10  and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more;
v. 11  that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
v. 12  that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.

Now verse 17 you brought up from Hebrews 13 is a whole other discussion, because that passage is speaking to and about the brethren, not at all about the law enforcement of the world. Here is what it says earlier in the passage.

Heb 13:7  Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.

Heb 13:17  Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.

Now it certainly is your prerogative to find others to speak about politics with, since you find fault here, but there is nothing in this passage that I can see that needs to bring politics into it. So I think our desire to keep politics off this forum is proper, there certainly is no reason to do so here.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:15:32 PM by Kat »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »

Hi Kat,

I am in agreement with you. I too was and do see Hebrews from the perspective of the brethren and the church of The Living God. Certainly not speaking about curropt politicians or even the leaders from the synogogue of satan. This is exemplified by the scriptures of when Korah and them withstood Moses and Aaron in an attempt to wrest power for themselves. God condemned their behavior and they payed for it with their lives.

What paul says in Romans I feel is strongly echoed by how Christ reacted to Pilate and also how King Nebechanezer was the one placed over babylon which was used to take the isrealites into captivity. Daniel understood and he acted righteously during his time in captviity according to God's wisdom.

I am grateful that politics is not allowed here. It makes me sick to my stomach, seeing the endless carnal disputations, even because it incites the worste in me as my own carnal self is still dying. I yearn for the kingdom of God. A city not built by the hands of men.

God bless,
Alex

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »

None of these (or any part of them) is on the 'list of spurious scriptures' in the B-T Forum Indexes and Info.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »

The Jewish historian Josephus wrote about political activity and turmoil going on in Palestine in the 1st Century A.D., in and around the time of Jesus.

It makes for fascinating reading with political intrigue and activity and rebellions occurring then, which reminds me of modern day events.

However, in the New Testament there are almost no references to the political events going on then, except for a minor reference here and there.  I think that shows what God thinks of mankind's politics when almost nothing is mentioned of political events in His New Testament Scriptures.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »

Hi Alex,

There are some things I would like to say to help me with my understanding however the conversation would turn political which as you know is not going to happen on this forum.

I feel my hands are tied behind my back on this forum with this topic so I found another forum where I can explore the things of God and my understanding of scripture without condemnation.

Thanks anyways Alex.

God bless.

Again Rick - Why did you not simply PM Alex? Why do you feel the need to complain publicly? It reminds me of my three year old granddaughter when she doesn't get her own your way.

No one is condemning you. You agreed to follow the rules when you joined this forum. You need to keep your word.

Joel

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »

The way I see it Rick, the scriptures you are having issues with are in keeping with other similar scriptures, and can also be a second witness that gives us a better understanding.

1st Timothy 6:1-Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
2-And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

Those scriptures in Hebrews, and Romans fit well with the 6th chapter of 1st Timothy.

Joel

judy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »

Rick, God is omnipotent, everywhere at every time, in His kingdom and out of it working in unbelievers and believers. He is the final Word, now whether you accept things you don't like is irrelevant, there are reasons known only to God. Perhaps you conceive something as bad but down the line it was for the good. His ways are not our ways, this is hard, not for those who just came to Christ and still need the milk of consolation. Remember we are nothing and our intellect only goes so far. All this reminds me of Job. That sure wasn't a pretty scene. God is either who He is or it's all a lie. He appoints those whom he wants, simple but hard, if you disagree, then disagree, you are every bit entitled to do. When I came on here years ago there were somethings I just couldn't accept at the time but looking back I see I was just locked into my own thoughts and strongholds. I wish for you to pass over subjects you are not ready for but to hang in here and eat what you can digest for now but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, please, with love, judy

rick

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

. 2  So anyone who is against the government is really against something God has commanded. Those who are against the government bring punishment on themselves.

Hi Kat,

Like many others in America  I知 seeing and hearing things on the news that cannot be of God, I知 sure you heard recently about the women arrested and jailed for not granting a marriage license to a gay couple.

Does God command us to obey and adhere to this garbage ?

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:05:37 PM by Rick »

rick

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 07:06:41 PM »

Hi Alex,

Thanks anyways Alex.

God bless.

Again Rick - Why did you not simply PM Alex? Why do you feel the need to complain publicly? It reminds me of my three year old granddaughter when she doesn't get her own your way.

No one is condemning you. You agreed to follow the rules when you joined this forum. You need to keep your word.

Hi Dennis,

Why do you feel as thought I知 complaining ? I made a factual statement to Alex and in so doing have I not kept my word ?

God bless.

Kat

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

. 2  So anyone who is against the government is really against something God has commanded. Those who are against the government bring punishment on themselves.

Hi Kat,

Like many others in America  I知 seeing and hearing things on the news that cannot be of God, I知 sure you heard recently about the women arrested and jailed for not granting a marriage license to a gay couple.

God bless.

There is nothing to discuss about this, an elected public official (who has taken the oath of the office they were elected to) must uphold the state's laws. All that business that is going on that you mentioned is none of my concern, it is for those with their interests tangled up in these news events.

The government is what it is and God has brought it all about just as it is by His sovereignty, I have NO objection to how He sees fits for this age to operate.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:27 PM »

Hi Alex,

Thanks anyways Alex.

God bless.

Hi Dennis,

Why do you feel as thought I知 complaining ? I made a factual statement to Alex and in so doing have I not kept my word ?

God bless.

Because you said "without condemnation." And you should have simply PMed Alex where you can say anything you want and not complain publicly.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »

Hi Kat,

God bless.

The marriage license thing has political overtones and is not a suitable topic. Some people disagree and feelings will most likely get hurt.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »

Hi Rick,

I'm sharing the same mindset as Kat.

I see no reason to get entangled with the politics of this country.

Last I checked, our citenzship was in the heavens--A city whose foundations were not layed by the hands of men.  We are strangers and pilgrims on the earth, a peculiar people, a holy nation. What fellowship then do we have with darkness?

Come out of her my people! That isn't an invitation to join her.

God is working all things after the law of His own will, trust in Him and you will have no reason to fear or fret those in positions of political power.

Psalm 37:25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

God will keep those that are His.

God bless,

Alex

rick

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »

Hi Alex,

After reading these responses and thinking about what痴 being said by knowledgeable people in scripture I must concede , after all, what politician is free from causality ?

God does rule in the affairs of man and his kingdom and the powers that be are not free from cause and effect no more than we.

Kat痴 statement ( I have no objection to how He sees fits for this age to operate. ) brings it home for me.

What is must be by His decreed according to His counsel, so now I see more than I did yesterday.   
God bless.   :)

indianabob

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 12:44:44 PM »

Dear friend Rick,
I realize that my comments are late in coming. I had planned to share them after the first day of reading your letter, but at my age there is plenty of time...so I hope you will consider "better late than never" as an appropriate and forgivable saying.  ;)

When we were raising our four kids we had to explain many difficult things to them about why the "rulers" of the society had to be obeyed even if they were difficult to understand.
One example was why the 20 MPH school speed limit on a broad four lane road when there were no other cars present or when school was not in session.
Lots of other people were driving 30 to 35 on those days and no one got hurt. That was just one so called "stupid law" that we had to obey or pay the consequences. Another was paying taxes for something we didn't use or attending school at the appointed time while it was still dark or obeying the school teacher when she wasn't being fair (?) and so forth.

God sets in place or one could say "allows" circumstances to set in place over us certain other humans who are "somewhat" qualified to lead us and as long as they do not command us to disobey God's superior commands, then we should do our best to cooperate with their general rules.

Why? Well in any large group with everyone doing what seems right in their own mind, confusion reigns, tempers can flare and unforgiving words can be spoken in the heat of the moment leading to strife and even murder.
-
So then every group needs leaders: in the family it is Dad and Mother and later the older children. In small communities it is "selectmen" or "town board members" or councilmen  and councilwomen. These folks are chosen by acclamation of the adult citizens and after public discussion they write laws and publish them for all to see and observe faithfully.

They also add in these "laws or ordinances" penalties for disobedience. Otherwise many would not obey and confusion would lead to many more being harmed.
It is always the case that one person's freedom places restrictions on the majority.
For example when one is required to "love their enemies".  ::)

So then God wants us to obey the imperfect leaders set in authority over us whether we agree or not; as long as it does not lead us to rebel against God.

Of course, many leaders who read the scriptures can take advantage of this instruction from God, but that doesn't make the instruction false or one that has been added by the secular authority. The Fifth commandment requires us to honor our imperfect parents and so we should do as much as it lies within us to endure the struggle that may bring.

I suppose that my final point would be that it is better to have imperfect rulers than it would be to have anarchy and confusion and the civil wars that would result. Consider how much better life has been for families in the recent centuries of imperfect church rule. Obeying the works of the law doesn't gain us salvation, but it does afford a degree of peaceful co-existence.

Offered in love, Indiana Bob

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.