bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How many people have ever lived on earth?  (Read 12181 times)

Kat

How many people have ever lived on earth?
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »

I decided to do a little search to see what the internet estimated as the number of people have lived. There were many to choose from and I ended up on the one I thought was middle of the road below. This goes back to pre-Adam time where science believe modern humans started, perhaps Gen 1:27 "male and female He created them."  I understand that this kind of study requires a lot of speculation, but it's gives a possible general idea and I thought others might be curious about this too.   Kat

How many people have ever lived on earth?

Assuming that we start counting from about 50,000 B.C., the time when modern Homo sapiens appeared on the earth (and not from 700,000 B.C. when the ancestors of Homo sapiens appeared, or several million years ago when hominids were present), taking into account that all population data are a rough estimate, and assuming a constant growth rate applied to each period up to modern times, it has been estimated that a total of approximately 106 billion people have been born since the dawn of the human race, making the population currently alive roughly 6% of all people who have ever lived on planet Earth. Others have estimated the number of human beings who have ever lived to be anywhere from 45 billion to 125 billion, with most estimates falling into the range of 90 to 110 billion humans.

Year                                                                       Population
50,000 B.C.                                                                           2
8000 B.C.                                                                 5,000,000
1 A.D.                                                                   300,000,000
1200                                                                     450,000,000
1650                                                                     500,000,000
1750                                                                     795,000,000
1850                                                                   1,265,000,000
1900                                                                   1,656,000,000
1950                                                                   2,516,000,000
1995                                                                   5,760,000,000
2002                                                                   6,215,000,000

Number who have ever been born                      106,456,367,669

% of those ever born who were living in 2002                5.8%

The above estimate shows  that about 5.8 percent of all people ever born are alive today.  That’s actually a fairly large percentage when you think about it. Source: Population Reference Bureau estimates.

http://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/how-many-people-have-ever-lived-on-earth/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:17:03 PM by Kat »

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: How many people have ever lived on earth?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »

Dear Kat,

Great question!
Wonder where God is going to put 100 billion resurrected souls. (smile)

Lots of questions come to mind. Here's the first...

1. why limit the conception/birth rate so much the first 42,000 years?
Instead of a constant growth rate, I would opt for a logarithmic rate at first.

Women today can expect to ovulate 500 times after puberty and I suppose that the original, as created, female of the species was a lot more healthy/productive/aggressive and lived much longer due to a better diet and living environment.

Plus the men didn't have the same limitations for sperm production and men likely had much more testosterone, for fighting tigers and lions, which would lead to a greater incidence of conception. Maybe 20 or 30 live births would be normal in a woman's life span when a large family was needed for survival.

Just wondering, Indiana Bob

Kat

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

1. why limit the conception/birth rate so much the first 42,000 years?
Instead of a constant growth rate, I would opt for a logarithmic rate at first.

Women today can expect to ovulate 500 times after puberty and I suppose that the original, as created, female of the species was a lot more healthy/productive/aggressive and lived much longer due to a better diet and living environment.

Plus the men didn't have the same limitations for sperm production and men likely had much more testosterone, for fighting tigers and lions, which would lead to a greater incidence of conception. Maybe 20 or 30 live births would be normal in a woman's life span when a large family was needed for survival.

Hi Bob, why was the rate limited at first? My guess would be that humans would have had a rather slow start getting established. We may assume that people were "a lot more healthy/productive/aggressive," but they would have certainly lived under much harder conditions than anything we know. God would have provided that they survived, but still they would have been vulnerable in so many ways; all the severe weather conditions, animal attack, low food available (probably hunter gatherers), disease and even minor health issues could be life threading, so their lives may have been quite short. In that early time period some believe life expectancy at birth probably averaged only about 10 years. So most may not have even reached puberty.

Wonder where God is going to put 100 billion resurrected souls. (smile)

For me the number is not real important, just an estimate to give me a bit of an idea. I can understand that God has predetermined the exact number of people He will bring into existence and what He will do with them when He raises them up. The earth seems to have plenty of land mass... just look at goggle earth and you will see that there is lots of land.

Now it's pretty clear that there is quite a bit of the land surface that is not really habitual at present, and the land does not naturally product much food to sustain people. Just look at some of these survivalist shows, and you can see it's really hard to live out in a wilderness areas. Nature in general seems to be quite hostile to humans, from the animals that are wild and aggressive, even dangerous, to the land not having many readily available food sources. So is that really a limitation to God? For one thing it was God that cursed the ground right from the garden.

Gen 3:17  Then to Adam He said, "Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat of it': "Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.

I would suppose Christ will remove that curse on the ground straight away when He returns, where the land would become a beautiful productive place. Even that being so, certainly making the land into farmland would take some doing, but hey there would be plenty of man/woman power... I mean really just think of all the people in disreputable jobs that will need work.

The Scripture speaks of ways that Christ will began restoring the land and places that are considered unusable, like the deserts will be made back into productive usable lands.

Isa 35:1  The wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them, And the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose;
v. 2  It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice, Even with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, The excellence of Carmel and Sharon. They shall see the glory of the LORD, The excellency of our God.

It seems that nature will under go great changes, along with the land becoming so much more fruitful, animals will also be changed from the wild and aggressive beast they are, I think I see a parallel there.

Isa 11:6  "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, The leopard shall lie down with the young goat, The calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them.
v. 7  The cow and the bear shall graze; Their young ones shall lie down together; And the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
v. 8  The nursing child shall play by the cobra's hole, And the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper's den.
v. 9  They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea.

A lot to think about.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Joel

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »

Hey Bob,
I heard that all the people now living could fit into the state of Rhode Island. (shoulder to shoulder no doubt). :)
Seriously though, Revelations gives us a good clue.

Revelations 21:1-And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; AND THERE WAS NO MORE SEA.

Would a new earth necessarily have to look like this one, or be the same in size?

Joel

indianabob

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »

Hi Joel,
Thanks for your comments

I think revelaltion 21:1 applies only after God and Christ's body have finished their work of teaching righteousness to ALL of the people.
The new Jerusalem spoken of in verse 2 will surely not come down here while sin still abounds.
So this may be a place for a "millennium" if that is what will be after Lord Jesus returns, a time of training for all the resurrected sinners who have ever lived.

So, I think the New Jerusalem will be in the next age after the next age.  8) (smile)

Shoulder to shoulder sounds about right.
I did a calculation once when the estimated population of earth was six billion
Assuming the average person including children would weigh 125 pounds they could all stand on a frozen Lake Michigan with 25 square feet around them.
The total volume of those people, if they sank into the lake would raise the lake level only 1/2 inch.

We really are quite insignificant in the overall scheme of things; except for the fact that God has a plan and we are included in it.

Indiana Bob

Kat

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »

Hey Bob,
I heard that all the people now living could fit into the state of Rhode Island. (shoulder to shoulder no doubt). :)
Seriously though, Revelations gives us a good clue.

Revelations 21:1-And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; AND THERE WAS NO MORE SEA.

Would a new earth necessarily have to look like this one, or be the same in size?

Hi Joel, well thinking about it, I think the sea plays a very important part in this world... not that God could not change that. In the book of Revelation many things are symbolic and the seems to be the case with the sea. You can even see where people are referred to as "wild waves of the sea" in Jude.

Jude 1:12  These people are stains on your love feasts. They feast with you without any sense of awe. They are shepherds who care only for themselves. They are waterless clouds blown about by the winds. They are autumn trees that are fruitless, totally dead, and uprooted.
v. 13  They are wild waves of the sea, churning up the foam of their own shame. They are wandering stars for whom the deepest darkness has been reserved forever.

Here is part of the LOF article number 13 'Who is the Beast?' and number 9 'The Lucifer Hoax and the Mission of Satan' where this is explained in more detail.

http://bible-truths.com/lake13.html ------------

SEA, EARTH, AND HEAVEN
There are three realms spoken of in Revelation: sea, earth, and heaven:
"And the angel which I saw stand upon the SEA and upon the EARTH lifted up his hand to HEAVEN, and swore by Him that lives for ever and ever, [for the eons of the eons], who created HEAVEN, and the things that therein are, and the EARTH, and the things that therein are, and the SEA, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer [no longer a time of delay]" (Rev. 10:5-6).
The angels [messengers] of God communicate things from heaven to both the earth and the sea:
"And the voice which I heard from heaven spoke unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the ANGEL which stands upon the sea and upon the earth" (Rev. 10:08).
There are three realms of humanity and three realms of spiritual understanding. The lowest of all is the sea. Those with at least some spiritual understanding are those who dwell in the earth. And those who have the very mind of Christ are those who dwell in heaven. ALL REALMS will give honor and glory to God:
"And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in thesea, [need I explain that ‘fish’ do not have the mental capacity to comprehend what is being taught here—these are MEN, MANKIND, HUMANITY] and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sits upon the throne, and upon the Lamb for the eons of the eons"(Rev. 5:13).
Is this not saying the identical thing that Paul teaches in Phil. 2:10-11:
"That at the name of Jesus every knee should BOW, of things [them] in heaven, and things [them] inearth, and things [them] under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
More proof:
"Therefore rejoice, ye heavens and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and[inhabitants] of the sea! …" (Rev. 12:12).
v
It is when John is standing on the sand of the sea that he first sees the wild beast come up out of the sea. Now the questions become: "WHEN did John stand upon the sand in HIS life? WHEN do we stand upon the sand in OUR lives?

Answer: When the spiritual house that we all build falls down with a ‘GREAT FALL.’ When (notice I did not say, ‘IF’)…when our spiritual house built upon the spiritual sand falls, WE ARE LEFT STANDING ON THE SAND OF THE SEA. We are only INCHES above the very sea itself—the masses and multitudes of humanity who do not have any knowledge of God AT ALL. 

http://bible-truths.com/lake9.html ------------------
"And I saw a great white throne, and Him that sat on it, from whose face the EARTH [of man] and the HEAVEN [of man] fled away; and there was found NO PLACE FOR THEM… And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. And I saw a NEW heaven and a NEW earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea." (Rev. 20:11, 16 & 21:1).
It would be mind-boggling enough to think that the entire UNIVERSE could "flee away," but it would be quite another to then suggest that, "there was found NO PLACE FOR THEM." That would be absurd if taken literally. ALL THESE THINGS ARE SPIRITUAL! In the white throne judgment there will be no more a place for the flesh, for the carnal mind, for man’s heaven. There will truly be no place found for them. They will be annihilated in God’s"CONSUMING FIRE" (Heb. 12:29 & I Cor. 3:15)!
God will give man a new earth and a new heaven, and as for the great sea of carnal, God-defying humanity, "…and there was NO MORE SEA."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think revelaltion 21:1 applies only after God and Christ's body have finished their work of teaching righteousness to ALL of the people.
The new Jerusalem spoken of in verse 2 will surely not come down here while sin still abounds.
So this may be a place for a "millennium" if that is what will be after Lord Jesus returns, a time of training for all the resurrected sinners who have ever lived.

So, I think the New Jerusalem will be in the next age after the next age. 

Rev 21:1  Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, because the first heaven and the first earth had disappeared, and the sea was gone.
v. 2  I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared like a bride adorned for her husband.

There in Revelation it speaking of "New Jerusalem... a bride adorned for her Husband," this of course is the elect having joined with Christ at His return (the marriage supper) and it says what they are doing with Him is "coming down from God out of heaven." So the work of judging the world will not happen while the elect are off in heaven, but they "come down" to the earth with Christ. You can see Revelation 19 speaks of Christ return and the elect with Him.

Rev 19:7  Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready."
v. 8  And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
v. 9  Then he said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!' " And he said to me, "These are the true sayings of God."

v. 11  Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
v. 12  His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself.
v. 13  He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
v. 14  And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.

Now go back to Revelation 21 and you will see that Christ and His elect with/follow Him and "will dwell with" the people here on the earth.

Rev 21:3  And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.

So I think that it is when Christ returns to begin the next age that the work of judgment, correction and teaching righteousness will happen right on earth with/among the people.

Rev 20:4  And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
Rev 20:5  But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished(spurious). This is the first resurrection.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Joel

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 01:22:56 AM »

I agree Kat, and Bob.
It is important to keep in mind the correct order of the chain of events as they occur, and the physical and the spiritual meanings certainly do make a difference.

Joel

rick

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »

Hi Kat,

Your post testifies to the fundamental teaching of Ray, Which is ( God wants a family ), that’s what its all about, how many sons and daughters God wants I know not but we know Gods will, will be done.  :)

God bless.   :)

Kat

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »

I just found a very interesting correlation to the original post about how many people have ever lived on earth, which a general estimate came in at somewhere around 100 billion. Well to give you a general idea of how much that actually is look at this below.

How many stars are there in our Galaxy (Milky Way)?

People have studied the mass distribution of stars in the galaxy. Further, one also knows the amount of light put out by each type of star. So, by measuring the total amount of light in the galaxy (called luminosity), and knowing the mass, one can estimate the number of stars that are there in the galaxy. So, even though we cannot actually count the number of stars in the galaxy, we can estimate the number of stars in the galaxy as roughly 100 billion (100,000,000,000). It turns out that there are many more stars with mass less than the mass of the Sun than with mass more than the mass of the Sun. So, it all works out right.
Astronomy Department at Cornell University (This page updated June 27, 2015)
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/78-the-universe/stars-and-star-clusters/general-questions/343-how-many-stars-are-there-in-our-galaxy-milky-way-intermediate

How is that for a comparison?!! At this point any way there are about the same number of stars in the Milky Way as there have been people born on this earth... WOW! Coincidence? I don't think so.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:10:41 PM by Kat »

rick

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »

Hi Kat,

This scripture fits in nicely with this thread.

Gen 22:17  that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heavens, and as the sand which is upon the seashore. And thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies.

God bless.  :)

indianabob

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »

Hi Kat,

Amazing and interesting facts.

Plus that is for only ONE galaxy, the one we occupy.
And there are some say 500 billion galaxies.
500,................................. 8)

Plenty of room for expansion I would say.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »

Saw this new video last night: https://youtu.be/zR3Igc3Rhfg

indianabob

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »

Last quote from the video.
"....we are on a marble floating in the midst of nothing"

AND the liquid volume of all the people on the earth would fit into a building about a mile square and half a mile high.

What is "man" that you are mindful of him??

Doug

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »

The more you think about this your mind just explodes!

microlink

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

Very informative thread. Excellent research Kat and others.

I wonder if those born should include the number of fetuses which are aborted since life begins at conception. Raises the question of who will be in the final resurrection, the resurrection to judgement. Will the aborted humans be included? If so even that would be open to a lot of speculation. I suppose one point of view is that a fetus is not yet born and therefore should not be considered as being born, just alive???  Not yet breathing and therefore do not have the spirit of man in them until they exit the womb and begin to breath.

Psa 8:3  When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
Psa 8:4  What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psa_147:4  He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names.

Joe
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:35:17 PM by microlink »

Kat

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »

Hi Joe,

I've wondered about this and so after a Scripture study I am convinced that 'life' starts when the spirit that God gives to all physical being, enters a person and all Scripture I found point to this being with the first breath.

Job 33:4  The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Gen 2:7  And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Eze 37:9  Also He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live."
v. 10  So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.

Job 34:14  If He should set His heart on it, If He should gather to Himself His Spirit and His breath,

So When God breathed into him the breath of life, then he became a living soul (Gen 2:7).

There was a long discussion last year on this, here is the link.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,15769.msg141294/topicseen.html#msg141294

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:40:21 PM by Kat »

lurquer

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 01:00:22 AM »

Hi Kat,

Interesting topic you started!  Much I've wondered on myself...

But now I find myself wondering on the topic you linked in your last post (the abortion thread).  I didn't recall this thread, so I went and read it.

Just feel myself more lost in translation now... I don't claim to understand (and don't know of anyone else who does) when "life begins".  BUT, if deliberately destroying a developing human in the womb is NOT killing (destroying a human life) as you contend, then it must be OK to harvest 'unwanted' fetuses for parts (same as if it was known that a concoction of excised plantar warts cured cancer).  After all,  in our fallen condition--let's face it--we need parts.

So do you agree with the abortion industry's practice (now exposed) of trafficking embryonic human parts for the benefit of the living?  If so, then why not advocate--and champion!--the abortions of the 'unwanted' for the 'good of mankind'?  They're not "human life" after all, so why not use their tissue rather than flush it? And if not, why not (per your theory)? 

Once again, just curious...

Kat

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 01:30:36 AM »

Neo, how dare you twist what I showed you in the Scripture as to my advocating abortion. You have a really bad habit of taking a subject down a rabbit hole. If you do not agree with what I showed you in God's Word... well some truths are not easy to accept, especially with what we hear broadcast day and night in this world.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »

Neo,

Firstly I agree with Kat and the scriptures strongly declare through many witnesses that the breath of life is required for man to be ALIVE and become a LIVING soul.

Your use of the term 'fallen condition' is a red flag to me. Man has never ever been in a position to fall from nor did he ever fall from grace. We are exactly where God wants us to be. There was no 'fall.'

Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lurquer

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »

10-4, Kat and Alex.  I agree with you both on the scriptures (teaching that with “the breath of life, man becomes a living soul). That wasn't my question.

Alex, you misunderstood my phrase of our “fallen condition”.  I do not believe in the “Fall of Man”, in agreement with Ray’s teachings, of course. I merely meant our present condition of being made ‘weak’, dying, falling down, subject to death and decay… Things not in dispute here.

If Kat’s understanding that living things having human DNA are not yet human—if never able to take a breath, will never be human, not in this age or the ages to come—then what do we say about abortion? What is it then?  Is it immoral?  How can it be murder if they’re not even a “soul”? That makes a fetus less than an animal even, as animals are living souls.

SO, Kat, I’m not “twisting words”…I read your comments in the other thread where you stated your position that all of the unborn cannot be in the age to come because all of the Kingdom would then be just a “giant nursery”.   Anyhow, since they never took a breath, they were never really part of the Family of God. IF your position is true (and I don’t know if you’re right or wrong), then how is abortion immoral, and how is the use of their bodies (“tissue”) for the good of the living anything other than a benefit to mankind?  How do you reconcile this?

If it’s a Rabbit Hole, it’s one of your own making, because I’m just taking your belief to its logical conclusion.   :-\
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.