bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 8786 times)

Gina

Re: Salt
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »

Thanks.  I get my magnesium (epsom salt to bathe in) online at Amazon for about a dollar a pound (that Sole salt is $29.99 for 2.2 lbs).  Right now salt is all the rage.

I can also get my sea salt (imported from Italy!  ::) ) from the 99 Cent store for a dollar a pound. 

I prefer the celtic salt for cooking and drinking the best but it's just a personal preference and it is very expensive (not as expensive as the Sole salt you mentioned), but it lasts a very long time!

My sister and I were talking yesterday about salt.  She read that it is good to put a pinch of sea salt under your tongue and let it absorb slowly then drink some water afterwards, as opposed to putting the salt in the water and drinking it that way.  It's supposed to get rid of headaches and stuff like that.  You would think you'd get pretty bloated taking salt like that, but so far I have not.  It's really good and healing for your gums and gum issues.

By the way, I also read that the Roman soldiers were paid a "salt salary,"  meaning, that's all they could afford with what they were paid.  Much like our soldiers are pretty much paid peanuts - not literally in peanuts - just that they are given barely enough to survive on.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »

By the way, I also read that the Roman soldiers were paid a "salt salary,"  meaning, that's all they could afford with what they were paid.  Much like our soldiers are pretty much paid peanuts - not literally in peanuts - just that they are given barely enough to survive on.

"All through history the availability of salt has been pivotal to civilization. The word "salary" comes from the Latin word for salt because the Roman Legions were sometimes paid in salt, which was quite literally worth its weight in gold."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

Gina

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »

I saw that, Dennis, but I don't believe it is true after the other things I have seen and read, but thank you for your response.

Gina

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 07:06:25 PM »

Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt, and so she was literally worth her weight in salt.  Poor thing.   

cjwood

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »

Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt, and so she was literally worth her weight in salt.  Poor thing.

gina, your statement made me laugh so loud my dog just turned and looked at me funny.   ;D  ;D

i have missed you.
claudia

Gina

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

That is fantastic - you actually saw the humor in that.  Thank you for your warm words and God bless you and yours. You're in my prayers for a bright today and bright tomorrows. :)

Joel

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »

I really like salt, and have as far back as I can remember.
I use it on food on a daily basis, some people tell me I use it excessively.
During the hot summer months when I work outside, I tend to perspire a lot, and maybe that is my body's way of replacing salt I've lost through sweat. That's my excuse for over salting anyway.
Some businesses use to provide salt tablets in their medicine chests or first aid boxes years ago, I don't think they do that as much these days though.
I also drink a lot of water, but that's another story.

Joel

indianabob

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 03:08:57 AM »

Hi Joel,

I worked in the Gary, IN steel mill when I was a little younger.
We took salt tabs from a dispenser at the control panel.
It was 110 degrees outside the furnace floor and about 3000 degrees in the furnace. We had to walk up to the furnace door and pitch a shovel full of dolomite into the furnace to patch the brick floor before the scrap metal could be loaded from the "charging car". To protect our skin we wore winter underwear which was soaking wet and then completely dry after a few shovels of patch. Lots of fun especially while I still had a vision of "hell" in my mind thinking of Daniel and his friends in the fiery furnace.
-
I lasted only one year at that job before taking a vacation in the US Air Force guarding planes loaded with Hydrogen bombs.
Now there is a really big fiery furnace. (smile)

Joel

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

Hi Indianabob,
That's an interesting story about the furnace.
When I was in my late teens I worked a short time for PPG industries fiber glass plant.
My job was to pull a glowing stream of glass from a furnace bushing through a binder and wind it up onto a paper spool.
They used the product in the making of tire cord back when fiberglass tires were popular, I lasted there less than a year. It was common for workers to get what was called a bead strap of glass embedded in their hand or fingers and needed to see the plant nurse on that shift.
I later worked for commercial printing companies for 26 years, the presses I ran had up to 8 driers that cured the ink and UV coating.
Even though the building was well air conditioned, near the press could get very hot, I popped a few salt tablets in my day also. :)

Joel

theophilus

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »

Food for thought: Cutting back on salt may cause you to eat more

(BPT) - Our bodies naturally crave salt, a necessary nutrient, and research shows that we
gravitate to the amount we need for our bodies to function properly. Salt deficiency has been
linked to a host of health concerns, including insulin resistance, increased risk of heart attacks
and reduced cognition. But what if eating less salt also increases your weight by making you eat
more?

"Over the past 30 years, an interesting phenomenon has occurred: the rates of obesity have
dramatically gone up but the amount of salt we consume has remained fairly stable," says Mort
Satin of the Salt Institute. "Food producers have been lowering the amount of salt they use, under
pressure from the government and consumer activists, so we are either eating a lot more food to
get the salt we need or have drastically lowered our activity levels, or both."

In the U.S., research shows that people have been consuming about the same amount of salt on a daily basis for 50 years. And
around the world most people eat about the same amount of salt - about 3,500 mg/day, according to the World Health Organization. It appears that we all, when free to choose, eat enough to keep us in a "safe range" between 2,300 mg/day and 4,600/mg a day, according to medical researcher Bjorn Folkow.

"It stands to reason that if the amount of salt in food is lowered, we will eat more to get to our safe range," Satin says. "More food
equals more calories and that means more weight gain, unless we increased our physical activity to burn off the extra calories."-
This isn't news to those who raise livestock. According to Dr. Rick Rasby, professor of animal science at the University of Nebraska,
cattlemen intentionally control the amount of salt in cattle feed to either reduce the cost of feed or to fatten cows up before sale. If
they add more salt to the feed, the cows naturally eat less. If they reduce the amount of salt, then the cows will eat more.
This instinct is driven by the body's physiology designed to maintain an efficient cardiovascular system, according to researchers at
the Washington University School of Medicine. This vital life-sustaining system is found in fish, reptiles and all mammals. This system is so robust that it contains multiple failsafe mechanisms. The body will actually retain salt if you try and cut back too much. Of course any excess salt is simply washed away when you drink water through the natural process.

The irony is that for most of us there is no need to reduce the amount of salt we consume, Satin says. Years of scientific evidence,
including recent research by Canadian scientists published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), shows that
eating the levels of salt recommended by the American Heart Association or the U.S. government would actually cause harm.
Current recommendations from the American Heart Association are as low as 1,500 mg/day, an amount so low that European
researchers, also writing in JAMA, found it would increase the risk of heart attacks and early death.-

"The unintended consequence of the ongoing salt reduction experiment may be an increase in obesity," Satin says. "More research is needed, but meanwhile, individuals may want to focus on a balanced diet and regular exercise and remember that lowering the salt in food may make you want to eat more.

http://www.saltinstitute.org/publication/food-for-thought-cutting-back-on-salt-may-cause-you-to-eat-more/

judy

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 06:53:43 PM »

Dear everybody, "Iodized" salt is not always found in food. Iodized salt contains iron, people suffered goiter like Indiana Bob said in the middle west for yrs because they were away from the ocean. My mother did. My doctor told me to eat a teaspoon of Iodized salt a day because I have anemia problems. I found i like beer now because i put the salt in it. Funny!!! Or maybe not!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.