bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The breath of life  (Read 6708 times)

repottinger

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
The breath of life
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

Hello all,
The recent thread from Kat about the total number of people who have lived on the earth got me thinking about the meaning of the concept of the “breath of life” in Scripture. In the thread, statements were made about it referring to the physical act of inhaling and exhaling air with the lungs. However, in this writing, Ray states that it actually has a symbolic meaning in regard to the act of God’s imparting spirit into humans (and the combination of spirit and body producing the soul).

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,118.0.html

Dear Dallas:

Is too, until recent years, referred to man as having three "components"--body, soul, and spirit.  NOT TRUE. Man is made of TWO components--body and spirit. God never put a soul into Adam. The soul of man is not a component, but rather the product of two combined components, namely: body and spirit. God formed man's body out of the ground. He then breathed into this body the breath of life (spirit), and the MAN, not some separate component, but the man became a "LIVING SOUL."  The soul is not the living soul, but rather the man is the living soul. There is no soul without the body of man.  Understood?  God is not a trinity and neither is man a trinity.

In this next writing, Ray describes a somewhat similarly metaphorical concept—that of the heart—in Judaism, noting that, in ancient Mesopotamia, the seat of human emotion was thought to be the liver, but that the Hebrews believed it to be the heart (which is why we still use that term in referring to the emotions). In both cases, Scripture uses a physical function or organ of the body as a metaphor to symbolize a spiritual or mental concept.

Heart?
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:38:34 AM »
But my beloved brother, is not the heart just a pump that sends blood, how can evil thought originate in the heart (a pump) that does not think.  Does not the bible means mind when it often speaks of the heart?

Dear Calvin:
No, the heart is not "just a pump." In fact it is very rare that the heart is represented in Scripture as a literal organ of the body. The "heart" of man is the seat of his deepest moral and emotional feelings.
But, no, it is not the "mind." There are separate words for "heart" and "mind" in Scripture. The mind pertains more to the intellect.
You have heard that statement:  "You make me sick to my STOMACH," haven't you? The reason for this is, that deep and profound emotions can be felt in the mid-section of our torso. The people of Mesopotamia thought that the liver was the center and cause of these emotions. The Hebrews realized that it was the heart that pumped the life-sustaining blood throughout the body, hence the heart was considered the center of emotional and moral conduct (be it evil or good).  This is why Jesus taught that evil thoughts of lust and hate and sin come from the heart, rather than from the mind. 
One may compose a love letter in one's mind, but the feelings are coming from that part of our psyche called the heart.  Likewise a murderer may make the technical plans to carry out his dirty deed in his mind, but the motivation is in his heart.

We all need to [1] "Let this MIND be in you which is also in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 2:5), and  [2]  "Take up My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, because I am meek and and humble in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls" (Matt. 11:29).

God be with you,

I would welcome any questions or comments that anyone might have on this subject.
Your brother in Christ,
Randy

judy

Re: The breath of life
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »

Randy, all I know is the emotions follow the thoughts. Change the thought and
you can change the emotion. There is always a thought before the emotion. Cognitive therapy teaches changing the thought so the emotions can heal. That is why it is so important to study the Word of God, the mind wants to take off on it's own. This most likely is not what you are looking for but it's a good thing to know about the mind and heart.

repottinger

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »

Thank you very much, Judy; I completely agree with you.
Sincerely,
Randy

Proverbs 23:7, AKJV
7 for as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:
Eat and drink, saith he to thee;
but his heart is not with thee.

Philippians 4:8, AKJV
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:51:37 PM by repottinger »

Kat

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »

Hi Randy, yes it is the physical that God uses in a representative way to explain things beyond the physical or metaphysical; like the emotions and feelings (metaphysical) come from the heart (physical). Well the breath is also representative of something metaphysical, the spirit of life. The breath in a person, works simultaneously with the spirit, as this verse shows.

Gen 7:22  All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died.

So God symbolized or compares the spirit in a person with something physical, the breath. Jesus even showed the disciples what receiving the Holy Spirit (another Spirit from God) was similar to His breathing on them.

John 20:22  And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit."

So you can see that the Scripture do use the breath in a representative way of when the physical breath and spirit of life simultaneously enter a person. And as Ray said when God "breathed into this body the breath of life (spirit)" then it becomes a living soul.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:52:13 AM by Kat »

repottinger

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »

Yes, Kat, I agree--and thanks a lot for the additional explanation and scriptural examples.
Sincerely,
Randy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:58:46 PM by repottinger »

Kat

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »

To add a little more to this subject i did a little research and here is what I believe is the essences of the inner workings within us or the metaphysical - of or relating to the transcendent or to a reality beyond what is perceptible to the senses, abstract or abstruse. (Merriam-Webster)

The brain = mind; experience is a web of facts that we register and retain in the brain, it's like a super computer. But our mind is what sorts through and uses what the brain contains, using logic, rational, and our history as a framework.

The heart = feelings; how we emotionally react to things with love, sadness, fear, or joy... using emotion, feeling, empathy, and desire as a base, which we feel in a meaningful way and say comes from the heart.

The gut (bowels) = intuition; using an internal, certain, unexplainable 'knowing.' Think of butterflies in the stomach when a decision is pending. It's more of a compelling/instinctive feeling that just feels right, as opposed to an opinion based on facts.

The breath = spirit; this is the life force within any living creature. It's the spirit/breath + the body with all it's components that gives life in the physical beings.

Something curious that I came across in Scripture, as Jesus also contained the breath/spirit of life (same spirit of life He had before coming in the human flesh)... that promptly returned to the Father when He died on the cross.

Matt 27:50  And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.

Mark 15:37  And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last.

Luke 23:46  And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, 'INTO YOUR HANDS I COMMIT MY SPIRIT.' " Having said this, He breathed His last.

This brought to my attention another aspect of what Ray so often taught... when Christ died He was actually dead, opposed to the church saying He was alive preaching to the spirits in prison/hell, because of what 1 Peter 3:19 says. But if His spirit, His life force, returned to the Father and His body was lying in the tomb, He certainly was dead, expired as some translations have it.

Ecc 12:7  Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it.

Psa 146:4  His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Jesus' spirit return to the Father and He had no consciousness, His thoughts and soul perished while in the grave/tomb... until resurrected and then He was revived and returned to life and to His former glory with the Father.

John 17:4  I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
v. 5  And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

Just a interesting point I thought I would share.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 05:05:16 PM by Kat »

repottinger

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Thanks a lot, Kat. The different aspects of our being that you described remind me of the variety of hypothesized levels of consciousness in various metaphysical systems, which can be multiplied seemingly endlessly (depending on the theorist writing about them). As I said, though, they’re only HYPOTHESIZED, and thus not necessarily “actual” or “real.” The parts that you mentioned, I think, ARE genuine dimensions of our existence, and would seem to be more universal and common to virtually all cultures and faiths.
Thanks again,
Randy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:06:46 PM by repottinger »

virginiabm

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »

Hi bt family, I was reading some of the 2015 post and came across "the breath of life" post, and I was wondering about the sea creatures not having the breath of life in them. So, does the sea creatures have the breath of life in them? I know they don't breathe air like  we do and the land animals, but, I guess what I'm trying to say, could this represent we humans with the HOLY spirit and those without the Holy spirit teaching and guiding them? I know there are hidden meanings in the word of God, could this be one of them? I hope I haven't confused anyone. I don't know how to word it the way I see it.

Sea represents Humanity.

Your sister in Christ,
Virginia

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »

You may be reading more into it than there really is. It could just mean creatures that live.

virginiabm

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »

I could be Dennis. I was trying to see the spiritual meaning behind it.

Thanks for the reply.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »

But I have wondered about Gen 3:20 because we know there were humans before Adam and Eve.

(ASV)  And the man called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

(CLV)  And calling is the human his wife's name Eve, for she becomes the mother of all the living.

(KJV)  And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

(Rotherham)  So the man called the name of his wife, Eve,—in that, she, was made mother of every one living.

(YLT)  And the man calleth his wife's name Eve: for she hath been mother of all living.

Kat

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:37:52 PM »

Hi bt family, I was reading some of the 2015 post and came across "the breath of life" post, and I was wondering about the sea creatures not having the breath of life in them. So, does the sea creatures have the breath of life in them? I know they don't breathe air like  we do and the land animals, but, I guess what I'm trying to say, could this represent we humans with the HOLY spirit and those without the Holy spirit teaching and guiding them? I know there are hidden meanings in the word of God, could this be one of them? I hope I haven't confused anyone. I don't know how to word it the way I see it.

Sea represents Humanity.

Hi Virginia.

Thinking of the spirit that gives physical life and then with the coming of the Holy Spirit a different kind of LIFE. It's an interesting point "Sea represents Humanity," but I have never seen in Scripture that sea life might be represented as unconverted people. I know we think of breathing as taking air in, opposed to fish that live in water and a breath of life/air is the example used in Scripture.

Gen 7:22  All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, all that was on the dry land, died.

Job 33:4  The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Both the breath of life and the Holy Spirit are represented by breath as Jesus showed the disciples this to be so.

John 20:22  And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

I know this was not your point, but fish do breath, but they use gills, so their breathing is just done differently than mammals do. As all living creatures, fish included, need to have the spirit of life to, well be alive and for their brain to function. It takes that God given spark from the spirit given at the first breath or they would never be actually alive. This simple explanation of fish breathing is from the site wonderopolis.org

The air-breathing lungs of mammals, including humans, must be dry and empty of fluids to work properly. When we take a breath, tiny air sacs in our lungs pull oxygen out of the air and carry it to our bodies' cells.

The lungs of mammals would not work very well for a fish, because one breath underwater would fill them with fluid and make them useless. Nonetheless, fish need oxygen to breathe, too. In order to remove oxygen from the water, they rely on special organs called "gills."

Gills are feathery organs full of blood vessels. A fish breathes by taking water into its mouth and forcing it out through the gill passages. As water passes over the thin walls of the gills, dissolved oxygen moves into the blood and travels to the fish's cells.

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-do-fish-breathe-underwater/

Dennis, what it seems to me is that the Scripture were written to and for God's chosen people. Certainly it includes the other people when necessary, but it's not directed to them. So that would be my thinking for that verse that says, "Eve; because she was the mother of all living," it's referring to God chosen people, Adams and Eve's line all the way through the OT.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

indianabob

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 12:52:42 AM »

All great comments, nothing spiritual to add, but a little physiology if you please.

Our lungs take oxygen from the air which is about 20% Oxygen or to compare with water about 200,000 parts per million. Gills take oxygen from water which is about 10 parts per million Oxygen in clean water. So oxygen in the air we breath is 20,000 times as concentrated as in water.
The apparent reason is that land animals need more O2 to function in a gravity environment and when chasing prey. Sea animals float in their environment and mostly move more slowly.
And then there is the turtle that moves slowly as it carries its house around with it.
Lots of other factors I'm sure, but I found this interesting.

virginiabm

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »

Thank you all for the helpful imput. I know when I read something, I am looking for the spiritual side of it. I thought maybe Gen.7:22 might have something to do with it, but when I looked at it again after reading everyones comments, I realized I took the verse out of context.  Thanks for helping me out.

your sister in Christ Jesus,
     Virginia

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »

Sea represents Humanity.

Your sister in Christ,
Virginia

But the more I think about it you are probably right Virginia. There is something going on. God does not use these types of terms for no reason. I just don't know the answer.

virginiabm

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

Thank you Dennis.

Your Sister in Christ,
       Virginia

zvezda

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »

As all living creatures, fish included, need to have the spirit of life to, well be alive and for their brain to function. It takes that God given spark from the spirit given at the first breath or they would never be actually alive.

Just wanted to point out that there are so many types of sea animals, fish is only one of them.
Some of the sea animals are simple animals, e.g. sponges, corals, jellyfish, clams, oysters, starfish, sea urchins, sand dollars, etc. They don't have a brain. They have no nervous system and respiratory system.

It's interesting that in genesis 1:30, it talks about "everything that has the breath of life", but sea creatures are not mentioned.

Gen 1:30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground--everything that has the breath of life in it--I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

But I have wondered about Gen 3:20 because we know there were humans before Adam and Eve.

(ASV)  And the man called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

(CLV)  And calling is the human his wife's name Eve, for she becomes the mother of all the living.

(KJV)  And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

(Rotherham)  So the man called the name of his wife, Eve,—in that, she, was made mother of every one living.

(YLT)  And the man calleth his wife's name Eve: for she hath been mother of all living.

I've wondered about Gen 3:20 too, I don't think it means Eve was literally the mother of the whole human race or Adam's line. 
When God first brought Eve to Adam, Adam called her Woman (capital W), she wasn't literally bone his bones, flesh of his flesh either.
It was after they ate the fruit, death passed upon all men, then Adam renamed her Eve, aka mother of all living. Ironic, isn't it?
But then Jesus was the seed of Adam and Eve, He will bring back life to all humans.
God's plan of salvation is for all mankind, including the humans before Adam, but it didn't start until Adam/Eve came to life.
We know that Adam wasn't deceived to eat the fruit, and it seems to me, Adam also understood God's plan very well, he didn't complain even thought the punishment was too much to bear, instead, he immediately named his wife Eve, mother of all living, as if he knew that through their seed, Jesus, all mankind will live again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.