bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God's Promises  (Read 3612 times)

Jeff

God's Promises
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

Is it Scriptural to think of God's Word as containing "promises" or would another term be more appropriate?

I'll start by stating that when we pray for anything, according to God's will, our prayers will always be answered - only God's will ever matters.

1 John 5:14 "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:"

What I mean by promises (and using this term might be a remnant from my church days) is something like:

Psalm 37:4 "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

If I delight myself in God, and ask Him to put His desires for me into my heart, is that considered a promise?

I would think that if there's unrepented sin in my life, that would keep Him from doing this thing, but what if we are "delighting" in the Lord, then I imagine that means that we're doing what we need to do, as best we can, with that which He's given to us (our measure).

Maybe put another way - can I be sure that the desires in my heart are from God in this circumstance?

The reason I'm asking is that if I pray 20 times a day, every day of the week, for months on end, asking God to fill my heart with His desires for me, am I being annoying (God's not annoyed but I don't know how else to put it)?  If I ask Him should I just be confident that what's in my heart is from Him and quit pestering (God's not pestered, but...) Him with the same prayer continuously?

This post is probably annoying if you've read this far.

Jeff

Re: God's Promises
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »

After doing some additional reading I'm wondering about something else. I've always believed that Psalm 37:4 meant asking God to put His desires on our hearts but I don't think that's what the actual Hebrew word translated as "desires" means. The interlinear says "petition"

Hmmmm...

And God does make promises.

cheekie3

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »

Jeff -

I do not know if the below will help you or not, as I do not know about you or your situation:

There is not much, if anything, in the world that I desire any more.

I always talk about the things that concern me with Him, and ask that His Will be Done.

I am accountable for my family and do my very best to provide for us all and be a Good Witness.

We know that His Will will Be Done.

We do not know what His Will is, unless He burdens us to pray in His Holy Spirit according to His Will.

How can any one of us absolutely know for sure that we are praying according to His will.

I believe the process we all go through is firstly the desires of our heart, then our thoughts, then our speech and finally our action.

As He has given His Elect a New Heart, it should follow that we should be in accord with His will, as He changes our minds into the Mind of Christ (on an ongoing basis).

I ask that (as He directs circumstances that influence our Hearts and minds) I pray according to His will, and my Heart's desire is to always please Him.

I know that as I am a work in progress, I will from time to time make a mistake (i.e. sin) even though I do not want to. But I always check what the intention of my heart was if I was not sure if I did the Right thing, or in order to check if I sinned.

I find that I sin less and less, but we all still suffer (as we are to experience the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil).

I often ask Him to give us His Blessings instead of all this suffering (by His Grace) - but is appears not to be forthcoming.

I know that whatever I plan (or not plan) to do - I will always do what He intended for me to do.

Sometimes the initial result of me being me, tends to upset a member of our family, but I analysis the situation until He Reveals The Truth of the matter - resulting in having a heart to heart discussion with my family member, which normally (although not always) resolves the issue.

I know of many people who live their lives saying something like 'it does not matter' - as they do not want any trouble, and they believe if they confront the issue with the person concerned, it will be bad. I believe that ,everything matters, and the only way to deal with a situation is to confront it 100%. If it is addressed less (e.g. 50%), then it cannot ever be 100% resolved. Even if the person does not agree with what I have to say, they know what I think and why I think that way. I cannot make anyone accept my understanding, but I can express it to them in order for them to consider it and draw their own conclusions.

Remember, for those Gifted with His Knowledge and Wisdom comes great sorrow.

We all know a little or more about the wickedness of the world by those in control of our finances and jobs - and the suffering and pain we all endure.

Some people blame the owners of the big central banks for the debt of us all - but He Himself states that He is responsible for ALL (including the wickedness of mankind).

Jesus Himself lived to do The Will of His (and our) Heavenly Father.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards.

George. 

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 05:17:28 PM »

That does help George.

Thank you :)

Kat

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

Rom 8:24  For we were saved with this hope in mind. Now a hope that can be observed is not really hope, for who hopes for what can be seen?
v. 25  But if we hope for what we do not yet observe, we eagerly wait for it with patience.
v. 26  In the same way, the Spirit also helps us in our weakness, since we do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words,
v. 27  and the one who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, for the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to God's will.
v. 28  And we know that for those who love God, that is, for those who are called according to his purpose, all things are working together for good.

All we can do is the best we know how to do. God wants us to seek Him in pray about everything that concerns us... sometimes He answers us while we are in pray, just a realizing of what to do or whatever.

But like that Scripture says, He knows our weaknesses and how we struggle to understand Him and His will for us. So just keep on doing what you think He would want you to and He will adjust your thinking as need be.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:36:44 PM by Kat »

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

I have learned that God will always answer or not answer prayers according to his will, and perfect ways.
But I know also that he wants us to pray and seek his will, no matter if we get what we want or not.

Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.