bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience  (Read 4192 times)

dave

Experience
« on: October 17, 2015, 03:11:02 PM »

Out of curiosity I looked up the word “experience” in the Bible, found it used once in Gen. 30:27 once in Ecc. 1:16 and twice in Ro. 5:4.

It was the one in Gen. 30:27 that caused me to wonder.

In Ecc. “experience” is is defined “to see” in
Ro. The word is defined as “to test or prove”

In Gen. 30:27 “experience” is the H5172 from H5175 “serpent” a snake (from its hiss): - serpent. properly to hiss, that is, whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate: -  X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by experience, X indeed, diligently observe.

Gen 30:27 And saying to him is Laban, "If, pray, I find grace in your eyes! I augur that Yahweh's blessing me is due to your coming.(CLV) 
Augur: fortune teller, interpret omens.

Gen 30:27  And Laban said unto him, If now I have found favor in thine eyes, tarry: for I have divined that Jehovah hath blessed me for thy sake. (ASV) Divined: prophesy, to guess; conjecture-to find by intuition. *Rotherham as well.

Gen 30:27  And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.(KJV)

My intention is not to teach, I was just wondering if there could be a parallel when I read Gen. 3:1? 
For instance should I write Gen. 3:1 Now the “experience” was more subtil than anything which the Lord God had made.

From my understanding it turned out good for Laban's experience but for mankind it became a “learn by experience, divine” Would I be understanding correctly?

Thanks.

dave

Re: Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »

Out of curiosity I looked up the word “experience” in the Bible, found it used once in Gen. 30:27 once in Ecc. 1:16 and twice in Ro. 5:4.

It was the one in Gen. 30:27 that caused me to wonder.

In Ecc. “experience” is is defined “to see” in
Ro. The word is defined as “to test or prove”

In Gen. 30:27 “experience” is the H5172 from H5175 “serpent” a snake (from its hiss): - serpent. properly to hiss, that is, whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate: -  X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by experience, X indeed, diligently observe.

Gen 30:27 And saying to him is Laban, "If, pray, I find grace in your eyes! I augur that Yahweh's blessing me is due to your coming.(CLV) 
Augur: fortune teller, interpret omens.

Gen 30:27  And Laban said unto him, If now I have found favor in thine eyes, tarry: for I have divined that Jehovah hath blessed me for thy sake. (ASV) Divined: prophesy, to guess; conjecture-to find by intuition. *Rotherham as well.

Gen 30:27  And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.(KJV)

My intention is not to teach, I was just wondering if there could be a parallel when I read Gen. 3:1? 
For instance should I write Gen. 3:1 Now the “experience” was more subtil than anything which the Lord God had made.

From my understanding it turned out good for Laban's experience but for mankind it became a “learn by experience, divine” Would I be understanding correctly?

Thanks.

To be sure my post was not an attempt to replace the work of the serpent/adversary. It was just the thought of the word "experience" and it's definition in Gen. 30:27.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »

I'm not really seeing what you are asking.  They aren't the same Hebrew words, but I'm not following the trail of 'definitions'. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

dave

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »

This is what got my thought...

Gen. 30:27 “experience” H5172

נָחַשׁ
nâchash
naw-khash'
A primitive root; properly to hiss, that is, whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate: -  X certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) X enchantment, learn by experience, X indeed, diligently observe.

Gen. 3:1 “serpent” H5175

נָחָשׁ
nâchâsh
naw-khawsh'
From H5172; a snake (from its hiss): - serpent.

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:23:08 AM »

Micah,

What you wrote seems interesting but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Can you provide more specific thought?  What do you believe you've encountered?

Jeff

dave

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:47:54 AM »

I offered all that I have.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:41:17 AM »

OK.  I'm seeing a similar pattern from the Septuagint (OT Hebrew translated into Greek).  It's not so much a 'faulty' translation of "serpent", but the root words and the "flavor" of the words that get to "experience".

Here's an English translation of the Septuagint:

Gen 3:1  But theG3588 G1161 serpentG3789 wasG1510.7.3 most skilledG5429 of allG3956 theG3588 wild beasts,G2342 of the onesG3588 uponG1909 theG3588 earthG1093 whomG3739 [3madeG4160 1 the lord G2962 G3588 2God].G2316 AndG2532 [3saidG2036 1theG3588 2serpent]G3789 to theG3588 woman,G1135 For whyG5100 G3754 saidG2036 G3588 God,G2316 No wayG3766.2 should you eatG2068 fromG575 allG3956 of a treeG3586 of theG3588 paradise?G3857

G3789
ὄφις
ophis
of'-is
Probably from G3700 (through the idea of sharpness of vision); a snake, figuratively (as a type of sly cunning) an artful malicious person, especially Satan: - serpent.

G3700
ὀπτάνομαι, ὄπτομαι
optanomai  optomai
op-tan'-om-ahee, op'-tom-ahee
The first a (middle voice) prolonged form of the second (primary) which is used for it in certain tenses; and both as alternates of G3708; to gaze (that is, with wide open eyes, as at something remarkable; and thus differing from G991, which denotes simply voluntary observation; and from G1492, which expresses merely mechanical, passive or casual vision; while G2300, and still more emphatically its intensive G2334, signifies an earnest but more continued inspection; and G4648 a watching from a distance): - appear, look, see, shew self.

I can see those words (one with the meaning of 'learning by experience' or learning by an experience and one with the meaning of to gaze (that is, with wide open eyes, as at something remarkable 

to set a scene which is not a quick glance at an object of little interest to Eve, but of a long gaze into something the serpent understands well.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Joel

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »

I can see how a couple scriptures may correlate with that meaning.

Matthew 10:16 -Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore WISE AS SERPENTS, and harmless as doves.
1st Corinthians 14:20-Brethern, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.