bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proverbs 20:21  (Read 4330 times)

Nelson Boils

Proverbs 20:21
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »

"An inheritance quickly gained at the beginning,won't be blessed in the end."

So,what do you think is verse is saying?

Kat

Re: Proverbs 20:21
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »

Hi Nelson, a few different translations make help with this verse.

Proverbs 20:21

(ASV)  An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning; But the end thereof shall not be blessed.

(CLV) An allotment rashly gained at first Shall not be blessed at last.

(ESV)  An inheritance gained hastily in the beginning will not be blessed in the end.

(ISV)  An inheritance quickly obtained at the beginning will not be blessed at the end.

(NKJV)  An inheritance gained hastily at the beginning Will not be blessed at the end.

(Rotherham)  An inheritance hastily gotten at the beginning, the latter end thereof, shall not bring blessing.

(YLT)  An inheritance gotten wrongly at first, Even its latter end is not blessed.

E-Sword is great for comparing verses.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Nelson Boils

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:50:40 AM »

Thank you Kat.

"Hasty," means being careless,correct?
So,if one gets an inheritance,carelessly, it will not be blessed at the end?

I still don't have eyes to see or ears to hear this verse.

Maybe YLT makes it clearer,maybe.But then "hasty," "wrongly," are they synonymous?

I have E-sword,but the one for smartphones,and it seems like a downgrade version of the PC.It is called MySword.Knock-off?I don't know!

Kat

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »

Well here is Strong's for "gotten hastily."

H926 bâhal - A primitive root; to tremble inwardly (or palpitate), that is, (figuratively) be (causatively make) (suddenly) alarmed or agitated; by implication to hasten anxiously: - be (make) affrighted (afraid, amazed, dismayed, rash), (be, get, make) haste (-n, -y, -ily), (give) speedy (-ily), thrust out, trouble, vex.

When you consider what the passage is speaking of there, it seems that "hasty" does not mean in a good way, maybe as rash or without much thought.

Pro 20:20  Whoever curses his father or his mother, His lamp will be put out in deep darkness.
v. 21  An inheritance gained hastily at the beginning Will not be blessed at the end.
v. 22  Do not say, "I will recompense evil"; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you.
v. 23  Diverse weights are an abomination to the LORD, And dishonest scales are not good.

Here is a couple of places that seems to be saying the same thing.

Pro 28:20  A faithful man will abound with blessings, But he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.
v. 21  To show partiality is not good, Because for a piece of bread a man will transgress.
v. 22  A man with an evil eye hastens after riches, And does not consider that poverty will come upon him.

1Tim 5:22  Do not lay hands on anyone hastily, nor share in other people's sins; keep yourself pure.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »

Thank you Kat.

"Hasty," means being careless,correct?
So,if one gets an inheritance,carelessly, it will not be blessed at the end?

I still don't have eyes to see or ears to hear this verse.

Maybe YLT makes it clearer,maybe.But then "hasty," "wrongly," are they synonymous?

I have E-sword,but the one for smartphones,and it seems like a downgrade version of the PC.It is called MySword.Knock-off?I don't know!

2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation."

1 Corinthians 2:13-15
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Might help in trying to better understand the verse but Kat's already on it!

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Joel

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »

The way I see it, Jesus gives more light to Proverbs 20:21 with his parable of the prodigal son, recorded in the 15th chapter of Luke.

Joel

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »

Here is another area of scripture that may be of interest related to this discussion. This is the CLV translation.

1Ti 6:6 Now devoutness with contentment is great capital;
1Ti 6:7 for nothing do we carry into the world, and it is evident that neither can we carry anything out."
1Ti 6:8 Now, having sustenance and shelter, with these we shall be sufficed."
1Ti 6:9 Now, those intending to be rich are falling into a trial and a trap and the many foolish and harmful desires which are swamping men in extermination and destruction."
1Ti 6:10 For a root of all of the evils is the fondness for money, which some, craving, were led astray from the faith and try themselves on all sides with much pain."
1Ti 6:11 Now you, O man of God, flee from these things: yet pursue righteousness, devoutness, faith, love, with endurance, suffering, and meekness."
1Ti 6:12 Contend the ideal contest of the faith. Get hold of eonian life, for which you were called, and you avow the ideal avowal in the sight of many witnesses."

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.