bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Way He Wants You To Live  (Read 5910 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
The Way He Wants You To Live
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »

In one of Ray's conferences--I believe the last one, in 2009--he was talking about how the little book of Titus was jam-packed with instructions for how we should live. He also pointed out (in an earlier study) that learning these doctrines and truths don't mean anything if we don't change how we live, if we don't obey. I came across this similar (though smaller) passage in 1 Thessalonians 5. In the Message, the heading is "The Way He Wants You To Live":

12-13 And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!

13-15 Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other’s nerves you don’t snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.

16-18 Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.

19-22 Don’t suppress the Spirit, and don’t stifle those who have a word from the Master. On the other hand, don’t be gullible. Check out everything, and keep only what’s good. Throw out anything tainted with evil.

23-24 May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he’ll do it!

Terry

Re: The Way He Wants You To Live
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »

Hello Extol, nice find thanks for sharing, reminds me of something i've been thinking about for a while now.

12-13 And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!

Would that be something like a pat on the back,just saying.

Aiso i could be wrong but i feel God called me out and i have a great desire to fellowship with like minded brothers and sisters,i can't even talk to my own family as i get bored with the way they think about most everything,which brings me to what i've been thinking for a while, for example, your post, so many views and so few replies, i guess i must be missing something here,maybe our caring and love for one another will come in the resurrection i don't know.
Terry

Terry

Kat

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

Hi Extol, it is nice to reflect on righteousness and how we should be living. And to add to the passage that you have shown I think Christ tells believers how they should live and what it will accomplish in the sermon on the mount.

Mat 5:1  Jesus saw the crowds and went up a hill, where He sat down. His disciples gathered around Him,
v. 2  and He began to teach them:
v. 3  "Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor; the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!
v. 4  "Happy are those who mourn; God will comfort them!
v. 5  "Happy are those who are humble; they will receive what God has promised!
v. 6  "Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires; God will satisfy them fully!
v. 7  "Happy are those who are merciful to others; God will be merciful to them!
v. 8  "Happy are the pure in heart; they will see God!
v. 9  "Happy are those who work for peace; God will call them His children!
v. 10  "Happy are those who are persecuted because they do what God requires; the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!
v. 11  "Happy are you when people insult you and persecute you and tell all kinds of evil lies against you because you are My followers.
v. 12  Be happy and glad, for a great reward is kept for you in heaven... (GNB)

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:13:01 PM by Kat »

Extol

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:44 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up Kat. I read that passage also just a few days ago. In fact I read just those twelve verses you posted---I read them again and again. These are some really comforting promises, and I pray God gives us the strength to live this way.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »

"...reach out for the exhausted."  I guess that's been me the last couple of months.  It's hard to 1.  know how to do all of those things all the time and 2. DO them.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »

I'd venture to say that every Scripture, in some way, tells how we should live. ;)

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:04:31 AM »

"...reach out for the exhausted."  I guess that's been me the last couple of months.  It's hard to 1.  know how to do all of those things all the time and 2. DO them.

For you Dave:

Psalm 68:9 (KJV) "Thou, O God, didst send a plentiful rain, whereby thou didst confirm thine inheritance, when it was weary."

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:29:21 AM »

For you Dave:

Psalm 68:9 (KJV) "Thou, O God, didst send a plentiful rain, whereby thou didst confirm thine inheritance, when it was weary."

Beautiful verse Jeff and great thread Jesse!
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »

I'd venture to say that every Scripture, in some way, tells how we should live. ;)

Your comment is certainly in harmony with 2Tim 3:16:

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."

This scripture reminds me of a time in my life just prior to when I "stumbled" upon BT.  I had avoided reading the bible for several years after leaving the Jehovah Witnesses.  Then one day I started getting strong impulses to read the scriptures.  I tried to avoid these impulses because I knew that once I read Jesus' words, I would have to make some major changes in my lifestyle.  Sure enough, I picked up the bible, started reading the book of Matthews, and Jesus' words pierced my heart.  Months later, God led me to the BT website, and my life changed forever. :)

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

Recently a friend of several years and me went our separate ways. I don't know if we'll see each other again ,but it is what it is.
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »

Brethren, be of good courage, though we stumble and fall, He is faithful. For His name's sake, He will do it, for we are called by His name.

I am fallen, but I take courage in these words.

Psalm 145:14 The LORD upholds all who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.

Proverbs 24:16 For a righteous man falls seven times and rises up again....

Psalm 37:23-24
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.

Isaiah 48:10-12
10 Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.
11 For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.
12 Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Daniel 9:18 O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies.
Daniel 9:19 O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Jude 23-25
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
25 To the only God, our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:33:48 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Terry

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »

Thank you Alex,i've been feeling a little down lately, those verses really made me feel better,sometimes i feel ten feet tall and then God reminds me its not about me, but him, its a humbling experience.
Terry
Terry

wat

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 02:44:37 AM »

This topic came at the right time for me. I messed up. I made friends with the world and got burned. For good reason do the scriptures say not to make friends with the world and not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. We live under different laws than them. I feel kinda like the prodigal son. I'm glad for the trial. I've learned from it so far. Still have to finish it.

Dave got it right. It's hard to know how to do all of these things and then to actually do them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.