bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ecclesiastes  (Read 5077 times)

Nelson Boils

Ecclesiastes
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:30 AM »

11:1 "Cast your bread upon many waters,for after many days you will find it again."

A friend of mine quoted this verse to me and said:"you see,even the bible tells us to invest our money."

Thought to myself,nah!I think what explains this verse is the one after it.

11:2"Give portions to seven,yes to eight,for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land."

What principle do you think we are taught here?

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Ecclesiastes
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »

11:1 "Cast your bread upon many waters,for after many days you will find it again."

A friend of mine quoted this verse to me and said:"you see,even the bible tells us to invest our money."

11:2"Give portions to seven,yes to eight,for you do not know what disaster may come upon the land."

Hi Nelson,

I believe the principle being taught is,

2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own interpretation."

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Psalm 119:160 The sum of Thy word [is] truth, And to the age [is] every judgment of Thy righteousness!

1 Corinthians 2:12-14
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Extol

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:58 AM »

Some of the more modern translations make it sound like it's talking about investing. Perhaps that's what your friend is talking about:

NIV:Ship your grain across the sea; after many days you may receive a return.

NLT: Send your grain across the seas, and in time, profits will flow back to you.

I have not done an in-depth study on this, but what I get out of this is the principle of sowing and reaping (talking about spiritual sowing and reaping, of course.) Jesus Christ is the bread of life (John 6:35, 48, 51), and however much of that bread we send out, we will be recompensed accordingly.

2 Cor. 9:6 (YLT): And this: He who is sowing sparingly, sparingly also shall reap; and he who is sowing in blessings, in blessings also shall reap;

Matt. 5:14-16: You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Here is an interesting passage from Isaiah 32 (KJV):

15 Until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field, and the fruitful field be counted for a forest.

16 Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field.

17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;

19 When it shall hail, coming down on the forest; and the city shall be low in a low place.

20 Blessed are ye that sow beside all waters, that send forth thither the feet of the ox and the a@@.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »

Gal 6:10 "So then,whenever we have the opportunity,let us do good to all people..."

Thanks,Ex

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »

Mat 25:15  And, to one, indeed, gave he five talents, and, to another, two, and, to another, one,—to each according to his particular ability, and went from home. ...

Comes to mind

Pini56

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:43:51 AM »

Hello,

This comes to mind: Deuteronomy 15:7-11   (BBE)

7  If in any of your towns in the land which the Lord your God is giving you, there is a poor man, one of your countrymen, do not let your heart be hard or your hand shut to him;
8  But let your hand be open to give him the use of whatever he is in need of.
9  And see that there is no evil thought in your heart, moving you to say to yourself, The seventh year, the year of forgiveness is near; and so looking coldly on your poor countryman you give him nothing; and he will make an outcry to the Lord against you, and it will be judged as sin in you.
10  But it is right for you to give to him, without grief of heart: for because of this, the blessing of the Lord your God will be on all your work and on everything to which you put your hand.
11  For there will never be a time when there are no poor in the land; and so I give orders to you, Let your hand be open to your countrymen, to those who are poor and in need in your land.

And This: Proverbs 11:24-25   (BBE)

24  A man may give freely, and still his wealth will be increased; and another may keep back more than is right, but only comes to be in need.
25  He who gives blessing will be made fat, but the curser will himself be cursed.

And This: Proverbs 22:9   (BBE)

9  He who is kind will have a blessing, for he gives of his bread to the poor.

And This: Isaiah 32:8   (BBE)

8  But the noble-hearted man has noble purposes, and by these he will be guided.

It seems to me that this is about Sowing and Reaping. In sowing be generous with those less fortunate, without evil intent, and you will Reap accordingly. You will have Increase.

Geoff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:48:47 AM by Geoff »

Wittenberg

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »

Usury is forbidden in God's law. So any investment that gains from usary is lawless. I interpret verses on growing our riches as a call to grow spiritually, aka true riches. The usury ban is still in effect. We give to others, not to gain our investment back with interest, but out of love. God's word says when we give HE will increase our return.

rick

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:19 PM »

Hello,

This comes to mind: Deuteronomy 15:7-11   (BBE)

7  If in any of your towns in the land which the Lord your God is giving you, there is a poor man, one of your countrymen, do not let your heart be hard or your hand shut to him;
8  But let your hand be open to give him the use of whatever he is in need of.
9  And see that there is no evil thought in your heart, moving you to say to yourself, The seventh year, the year of forgiveness is near; and so looking coldly on your poor countryman you give him nothing; and he will make an outcry to the Lord against you, and it will be judged as sin in you.
10  But it is right for you to give to him, without grief of heart: for because of this, the blessing of the Lord your God will be on all your work and on everything to which you put your hand.
11  For there will never be a time when there are no poor in the land; and so I give orders to you, Let your hand be open to your countrymen, to those who are poor and in need in your land.

And This: Proverbs 11:24-25   (BBE)

24  A man may give freely, and still his wealth will be increased; and another may keep back more than is right, but only comes to be in need.
25  He who gives blessing will be made fat, but the curser will himself be cursed.

And This: Proverbs 22:9   (BBE)

9  He who is kind will have a blessing, for he gives of his bread to the poor.

And This: Isaiah 32:8   (BBE)

8  But the noble-hearted man has noble purposes, and by these he will be guided.

It seems to me that this is about Sowing and Reaping. In sowing be generous with those less fortunate, without evil intent, and you will Reap accordingly. You will have Increase.

Geoff.

I can't help but to see the love of God in these verses, The creater is truly wondedful.

God bless.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:46:32 PM by Rick »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.