bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do we differentiate a "test" from a "temptation?"  (Read 9338 times)

Porter

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: How do we differentiate a "test" from a "temptation?"
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »

Question still remains:What is the difference between "testing" and "tempting?"I mean would the girlfriend of my acquaintance have a point if she said,"Well,why on earth did you send your friend to TEMPT me?" Or would you say the girlfriend was "TESTED?"

We are admonished to "TEST"

"Bring everything to the test; cling to what is good"-Paul

She was tempted by her boyfriends "test". To her it was a temptation too hard to resist due to her being "exceedingly weak". To him it was a test, or so he claims. 

It really seems like she was being tested not for her benefit, but for his, to see what she would do so he can make a decision that was good for him. That is how your question and the situation in general comes off to me anyway.

Are we admonished to test others like your friend tested his girlfriend? Or are we admonished to test what is presented to us as the truth? Do you have a second witness to help explain what Paul meant?

1Th 5:19  Don't quench the Spirit,
1Th 5:20  don't despise inspired messages.
1Th 5:21  But do test everything — hold onto what is good,
1Th 5:22  but keep away from every form of evil.

1Jn 4:1  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Sorry if I misunderstand you Mandela, but your original question is being lost on me with the different Scriptural references and different real life examples, i.e. bad teacher and bad girlfriend scenarios.

Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Nelson Boils

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 01:47:53 AM »

I like that answer by Micah.

God tests,but the devil tempts.

What is it that you don't understand or see,porter?There are so many good answers here.

As for the story about my acquaintance.There is some similarities to it as with how God works.
My acquaintance sent his friend to "TEST" his girlfriend just like God sends the devil to "TEST" us,but the friend was "TEMPTING" the girlfriend just as the devil "tempts" us.

Dave's answer is also I good one,as with all.

I am not sure what it is that you don't understand.

As for Paul admonishing us to "test" everything and "cling to what is good" is not limited to pastors,but rather it is a principle that can be applied to all life situations.

As for the "teacher" parable,I actually got it from Ray,I just switched a couple of words around😋

Weird thing about what my acquaintance did is that after testing his girlfriend,other truths started coming out about his girlfriend.

As for how one "tests" those around him or her or how they apply these principles in their life is between them and Jesus.Perhaps many will disagree with how my acquaintance did his thing,but the poor girl had us all deceived until the "test"

Anyway,let us know what you don't understand,porter.I really think there is nothing to Not understand after so many good answers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:40:18 AM by Mandela »

Porter

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 03:36:05 PM »

I can be really stubborn sometimes Mandela. Which is why I think God deals with me harshly. I dunno, could be wrong about that.

The principle of my high school once told me, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Well call me the horse in this case :)

What matters is you got the answers YOU were looking for, to which it seemed you already knew the answers to. To be fair you did ask what others thought, and I gave you mine. Was just tryna to help a brotha out ya know?

Peace
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:45:33 PM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.