bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fig tree  (Read 5514 times)

Nelson Boils

Fig tree
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »

I wonder why does God compare us to a fig tree?

Why not an apple tree?Grape tree or any other tree?
What is it about a fig tree?

Porter

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Fig tree
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

If you have a specific scripture in mind it would be great if you posted it. If your referring to a parable Jesus used then one thing I do know is that all parables refer to the "many are called, but few are chosen" one way or another, from different perspectives and with emphasis on one or the other.

I did find some interesting things from the wiki about fig trees. Maybe from that we can see how we are like fig trees in certain ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig

One thing that stood out for me was this quote taken from the wiki.

"Two crops of figs are potentially produced each year.[11] The first or breba crop develops in the spring on last year's shoot growth. In contrast, the main fig crop develops on the current year's shoot growth and ripens in the late summer or fall. The main crop is generally superior in both quantity and quality to the breba crop. However, some cultivars produce good breba crops (e.g., 'Black Mission', 'Croisic', and 'Ventura').

There are basically three types of edible figs:[12]"

Following the breba link it says this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breba

"A breba (or more commonly breva in Spanish) is a common fig that develops in the spring on the previous year's shoot growth.[1] In contrast, the main fig crop develops on the current year's shoot growth and ripens in late summer or fall. Breba figs of certain varieties don’t always develop the rich flavor that the main crop has. Growers of those varieties frequently discard the brebas before they ripen to encourage growth of the main crop because the main crop is generally superior in both quantity and quality to the breba crop. Other cultivars such as Black Mission, Croisic, and Ventura produce good breba crops."

Besides that we can find different descriptions how we are like fig trees in certain ways from that wiki. This one just stood out for me.  Pretty cool I say. :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:24:35 PM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

Matthew92379

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »

I know this answer is a bit of a tease because I once knew the answer. I am looking through my notes and cannot find it.

It has something to do with the way the fig tree is pollinated and goes back to Adam and the garden of Eden. I will keep looking and post when I find it. It's an incredible analogy.

-Matt

lareli

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »

Well grapes don't grow on trees friend.. They grow on vines of which we are compared to in scripture.

I think so many things and perhaps everything in life is a parable. Our faith is a mustard seed. We are clay, sheep, soil on the ground where seed is sown, waves of the sea... Our life is a blade of grass, a vapor, etc.

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Nelson Boils

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »

Well grapes don't grow on trees friend.. They grow on vines of which we are compared to in scripture.

I think so many things and perhaps everything in life is a parable. Our faith is a mustard seed. We are clay, sheep, soil on the ground where seed is sown, waves of the sea... Our life is a blade of grass, a vapor, etc.

Lol,silly of me to think grapes grow on trees!

Good point you make there,we are compared to a lot of things.

Yo Matt,maybe when you have the answer you may inbox it to me.

Extol

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:22:54 AM »

This is not an answer to the original question, but just something about figs that I read today. It's from Jeremiah 24; it's a short chapter so I'll post the whole thing:

1 The Lord shewed me, and, behold, two baskets of figs were set before the temple of the Lord, after that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the carpenters and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.

2 One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.

3 Then said the Lord unto me, What seest thou, Jeremiah? And I said, Figs; the good figs, very good; and the evil, very evil, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil.

4 Again the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,

5 Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans for their good.

6 For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.

7 And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.

8 And as the evil figs, which cannot be eaten, they are so evil; surely thus saith the Lord, So will I give Zedekiah the king of Judah, and his princes, and the residue of Jerusalem, that remain in this land, and them that dwell in the land of Egypt:

9 And I will deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all places whither I shall drive them.

10 And I will send the sword, the famine, and the pestilence, among them, till they be consumed from off the land that I gave unto them and to their fathers.

Earlier, King Zedekiah had sent some of his men to Jeremiah to ask if God would miraculously deliver them. The answer was No...

Jer. 21:8 And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.

9 He that abideth in this city shall die by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence: but he that goeth out, and falleth to the Chaldeans that besiege you, he shall live, and his life shall be unto him for a prey.

10 For I have set my face against this city for evil, and not for good, saith the Lord: it shall be given into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire.

Interesting that the ones who submit to God's judgment--not the ones who try to fight it--are the ones who are called good figs, and promised life.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »

Hi Jesse and all,

I wrote a paper on that passage you quoted a while ago. I'm going to share it here. It doesn't really answer why we are compared to fig trees but definitely shows that we are likened to good figs.

The good fig baskets of Babylon

Revelation 17:3-5 " So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw A WOMAN sit upon a
scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten
horns.  And THE WOMAN was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked
with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full
of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:  And upon her forehead
was a name written, Mystery, BABYLON The Great, The Mother Of Harlots And
Abominations Of The Earth."

Jeremiah 24:1 "The Lord shewed me, and, behold, two baskets of figs were set before the temple of the Lord,
after that Nebuchadrezzar KING OF BABYLON had carried away captive....and had
brought them to BABYLON."

Jeremiah 24:2 "One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket
had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad."

Jeremiah 24:5-7 "Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that
are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the
land of the Chaldeans for their good. For I will set mine eyes upon them for
good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not
pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.  And I WILL
GIVE THEM AN HEART TO KNOW ME, that I am the Lord: and THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE,
and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole
heart."

Jeremiah 31:33 "This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time," declares
the LORD. "I will put my law in their minds and write it ON THEIR HEARTS.
I will be their God, and THEY WILL BE MY PEOPLE.

Hebrews 10:15-17 "Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is
the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I
will put my laws INTO THEIR HEARTS, and in their minds will I write them;
And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."

Romans 2:29 But HE IS A JEW, which IS ONE INWARDLY; and CIRCUMSCIAN IS THAT OF THE HEART, in the spirit, and not
in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Philippians 3:3 "For IT IS WE who are the circumcisian, which worship God in spirit, who boast in Christ
Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh..."

Romans 8:14 "For as MANY AS ARE LED BY the Spirit of God, they ARE the sons of God."

2 Peter 2:9-10 "But YE ARE a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that
ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness
into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, BUT ARE NOW
THE PEOPLE OF GOD: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

2 Cor 6:16-18 "16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for YE ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE
LIVING GOD; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I
will be their God, and THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. WHEREFOR COME OUT FROM AMONG
THEM, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and
I will receive you. And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and
daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

1 Rev 18:4 "And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, COME OUT OF HER [BABYLON!] MY PEOPLE, that ye be not
partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues."

Matthew 11:15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Mark 4:9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches [THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD];

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches [THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD];

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches[THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD];

Revelation 2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches[THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD].

Revelation 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches[ THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD]

Revelation 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches[THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD].

Revelation 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.[THE WHOLE CHURCH OF GOD]

God's love, mercy, and peace,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:03:44 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.