bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New years resolution .  (Read 14884 times)

rick

New years resolution .
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »

News years eve the whole world is making some kind of resolution to stop doing something's in their life that are not healthy or good.

Although most if not all are sincere but do not realize that free will is not an option and no one stops anything in their life with success until God says so.

New years resolutions are a wast of time an belong to the blind ones of this age but not so long ago I too was blind in that way not that I see everything but believing God controls all thing 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:40:45 PM by Rick »

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: New years resolution .
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 03:32:20 PM »

News years eve the whole world is making some kind of resolution to stop doing something's in their life that are not healthy or good.

Although most if not all are sincere but do not realize that free will is not an option and no one stops anything in tgis life with success until God says so.

New years resolutions are a wast of time an belong to the blind ones of this age but not so long ago I too was blind in that way not that I see everything but believing

Yup, my facebook is a light with new years resolutions etc... I don't know.. i strive everyday to put on Christ and let the old man die but I know that all this is the working and power of God in me and not anything I can do by my power.

Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.

1 Samuel 2:9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »

I was thinking the same thing about it before you posted. I have never been one to celebrate the new year. All because the clock ticks over is never been something I get excited over. I celebrate over things more spiritual now that actually mean something. When you understand something of God's word that you didn't see before then that brings true joy that lasts.

The new year's resolution too is something I don't get as what can you do unless God brings about the change in you but such is the way of the world that they need something to hold on to. Drives me a bit crazy at times all these people running around looking for meaning where there is no meaning but it's the way of the world for this happen and they too will see that one day.

Rhys
🤫

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »

Yup, my facebook is a light with new years resolutions etc... I don't know.. i strive everyday to put on Christ and let the old man die but I know that all this is the working and power of God in me and not anything I can do by my power.

And most of them are from me  :D
🤫

rick

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »

Two things I didn't do the end of 2015 which was to not celebrate Christmas and no New year's resolution  from my mouth.

If the Lord is willing that I should not do this or do that then it will come to pass I won't but let each of remember we really are what we are by the grace of God.

God bless each of us according to His purpose and will.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:56:58 PM by Rick »

Porter

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »

My new years resolution is 1080p.  8)

On a side note I went to sleep before midnight and was rudely awoken by gun shots and fireworks. I swear how rude!  :P Bleh glad Christmas and new years celebrations are over tbh. I'm a real scrooge like that.

We all know God causes the sun to rise and rain to fall on the good and evil.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 05:04:57 PM by Porter »
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

octoberose

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:44:58 AM »

I spent most of yesterday taking down the Christmas decorations !  :)

The thing about resolutions is that they are only accomplished by God's hand.  I'm very aware of that . So , I purpose things  that I feel God has laid on me.  Most if it is a big To Do list. If I don't live intentionally I can't accomplish much. I have a real desire to finally make it through reading the whole Bible in a year, instead of piecemealing it . So if God allows me to do that this year then I will.  We are called to account for our actions and I try to think about what needs to be done and do it. A new calander year is just a mechanism to use.  The important thing is that the Lord makes each new day and we need to live in it . 🌝

Kat

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 11:34:26 AM »

Although most if not all are sincere but do not realize that free will is not an option and no one stops anything in their life with success until God says so.

New years resolutions are a wast of time an belong to the blind ones of this age but not so long ago I too was blind in that way not that I see everything but believing God controls all thing

When people of this world do anything it is never apparent to them that it is God causing it, therefore they do feel they have a free will, as we once did. But there certainly is things that many people do overcome in their lives in one way or another, and not because they are seeking God's will, but because that is part of the good in the world. So yes they are blind to spiritual truths, but God works through all sorts of means to bring about changes for the good in the lives of some people. So a new years resolution is just another one of the ways that God may motivate people to change or not to change in a way that He has already determined they would.

So I would not say striving to do good, by a resolution or whatever means, is a waste of time, it could be just another one of the unseen ways that God is working in somebody's life. That would not effect that God is in control of all things and sovereign at all.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Rhys 🕊

• 🕊
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »

These passages are a good help when thinking of this area

Pro 16:1  The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.
Pro 16:2  All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit.
Pro 16:3  Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.
Pro 16:4  The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.
Pro 16:5  Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD; be assured, he will not go unpunished.
Pro 16:6  By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the LORD one turns away from evil.
Pro 16:7  When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Pro 16:8  Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues with injustice.
Pro 16:9  The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

Php 3:12  Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.
Php 3:13  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.

The majority don't have the spiritual maturity to what really matters.

So man makes plans as we all do but it's the Lord who has the final say of what is to be or not to be.

When people then say it was me and I did this it's the belief that seems a waste of time. But what seems a waste of time is God working in them as He wills.

I get frustrated with the ways of the world at times, the I, I, I and me, me ,me stuff

But need to remember

John 16:33  I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

Rhys
🤫

rick

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »

I spent most of yesterday taking down the Christmas decorations !  :)

tradition of man

This is the first year I did not celebrate Christmas so I had nothing to take down becuse I put nothing up, lol . Thank God, He taken me away from the tradition of man.

God bless.

rick

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »

These passages are a good help when thinking of this area

Pro 16:1  The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD.
Pro 16:2  All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit.
Pro 16:3  Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.
Pro 16:4  The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.
Pro 16:5  Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the LORD; be assured, he will not go unpunished.
Pro 16:6  By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the LORD one turns away from evil.
Pro 16:7  When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Pro 16:8  Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues with injustice.
Pro 16:9  The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

Php 3:12  Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.
Php 3:13  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.

The majority don't have the spiritual maturity to what really matters.

So man makes plans as we all do but it's the Lord who has the final say of what is to be or not to be.

When people then say it was me and I did this it's the belief that seems a waste of time. But what seems a waste of time is God working in them as He wills.

I get frustrated with the ways of the world at times, the I, I, I and me, me ,me stuff

But need to remember

John 16:33  I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

Rhys

Hi Rhys,

There is so much wisdom in proverbs and greater is it's wisdom when God gives one its understanding.

rick

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:13:54 PM »

When people of this world do anything it is never apparent to them that it is God causing it, therefore they do feel they have a free will, as we once did. But there certainly is things that many people do overcome in their lives in one way or another, and not because they are seeking God's will, but because that is part of the good in the world. So yes they are blind to spiritual truths, but God works through all sorts of means to bring about changes for the good in the lives of some people. So a new years resolution is just another one of the ways that God may motivate people to change or not to change in a way that He has already determined they would.

So I would not say striving to do good, by a resolution or whatever means, is a waste of time, it could be just another one of the unseen ways that God is working in somebody's life. That would not effect that God is in control of all things and sovereign at all.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hi Kat,

I believe New years resolutions is not only a waist of time but its a sin too. Its true.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 12:44:05 AM »

I know these 'resolutions' weren't made on New Years Day, but they are 'resolutions' still:

Act_18:6  And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.
Rom_15:18  For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,
Rom_15:24  Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company.
Rom_15:28  When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.
1Co_16:5  Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia.
1Co_16:6  And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go.
 2Co_11:12  But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.
2Co_12:14  Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.
2Co_13:2  I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:
Phm_1:19  I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.
2Pe_1:12  Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
2Pe_1:15  Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
3Jn_1:10  Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

Yes, I know very well that the results of any intention of my will is in the Hands of the Lord and that we cannot do anything except what He foreknew...but to say 'making new year's resolutions is a "sin" sounds religious to me, and over-righteous.  It could be that making resolutions is a means by which God reveals His sovereignty and tests our hearts, but to completely negate the 'making of resolutions' as a sin makes sinners of the Apostles.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

rick

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »

I know these 'resolutions' weren't made on New Years Day, but they are 'resolutions' still:

Act_18:6  And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.
Rom_15:18  For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,
Rom_15:24  Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company.
Rom_15:28  When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.
1Co_16:5  Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia.
1Co_16:6  And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go.
 2Co_11:12  But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.
2Co_12:14  Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.
2Co_13:2  I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:
Phm_1:19  I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.
2Pe_1:12  Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
2Pe_1:15  Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance.
3Jn_1:10  Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

Yes, I know very well that the results of any intention of my will is in the Hands of the Lord and that we cannot do anything except what He foreknew...but to say 'making new year's resolutions is a "sin" sounds religious to me, and over-righteous.  It could be that making resolutions is a means by which God reveals His sovereignty and tests our hearts, but to completely negate the 'making of resolutions' as a sin makes sinners of the Apostles.

Hi Dave,

There is a huge difference between what God says will come to pass and what man says what will come to pass , the apostles spoke the inspired word of God.

Ray was clear when he said when we say we will do this or do that we stand in the temple of God claiming to be God and that is a sin like any other sin.

It is the belief of free will which no human being has that is the sin we commit when we do such a thing.

we know God does not sin nor does God tempt anyone to sin so why would anyone think that God would cause anyone to claim to be God with a new years resolution ?

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 06:46:13 PM »

I just showed you 13 passages where the apostles said they would or would not do a certain thing.  I'm pretty sure they did not believe in a 'free'-will.  And I am to emulate them, as I am not one. 

I could just as easily show you 13 more where they phrased their intentions with "if God wills" or some other words to that effect.  Did they say it 'right' here and 'wrong' above?  You can't get me to believe that.  No...it's all about the heart and 'belief', not in the 'expressing the intention to do or not do'. 

I'd like to see that quote from Ray to see first if it's accurate or secondly if there is more meat hanging on that bone.  Could be I could use the refresher.       

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:48:16 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 07:09:36 PM »

Rick,

Looking at the meaning a resolution - a firm decision to do or not to do something..

No person would think a resolution is an absolute statement of fact and was certain to come about, mainly because we all have had experiences from circumstances of not being able to follow through on one thing or another. So a resolution is more like an expressed desire to strive and accomplish a goal... I don't think that is a sin. This is no more about a person's free will than anything else a person believes or hopes for is. Yes all people are vain and egotistical, that is the nature of the beast. Here is an email on this.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=2302.0 ---------

> Hi L. Ray,

> One question? Only one. Very simple. If God controls everything,
> then what is sin?

> Blessings,
> Chad

Dear Chad:

Sin is sin regardless of whether "God controls everything," or God

controls nothing.  Sin is lawlessness, missing the mark, coming short

of the glory of God, etc.  God never ever does any of these things. Men

do. God made men so that they would "miss the mark," "fall short," and

be "lawless."  It is not a sin for God to have made man so weak as to

prevent him from having the power to resist sin. There is a great purpose

for God creating man so that he cannot overcome the lusts of his carnal

weak mind, which God created. For the details, read the rest of our site.

God be with you,
Ray

rick

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 07:29:31 PM »

What possible power does man believe that he possesses which causes him to

"…oppose and exalt himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God [‘as a god’] sits in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God [‘is a god’]" (II Thes. 2:4)?

As long as this phantom god rules one’s heart, Jesus may only be "with us," but not really "IN us." For Jesus our King to sit in the heart of our temple, the man of sin must be put out, seeing that, "no man can serve two masters," and "what fellowship has light with darkness?"

rick

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »

Factor number one--CIRCUMSTANCES: What did the Holy Spirit of God inspire (cause?) James to explain as a major factor in what determines the true outcome of man’s will? Answer: "Whereas you know not what shall be on the morrow."

God changes the minds and wills of mankind around the world, a billion times a minute, through circumstances that "you know not" are actually the cause of your choices and your changed choices. We are often if not most of the time completely unaware of what actually caused us to do or say or think as we do.

rick

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Kat link=topic=16470.msg149028#msg1decisions8 date=1451858976

Rick,

Looking at the meaning a resolution - a firm decision to do or not to do something..

That my point Kat, its not in man to make a firm decision to do or not to do and find complete success in his decision because it depends all on God.

That is the sum of my point. I would also like to say in either case no one is better than the other one, for all have fallen short of Gods glory.

God bless.

rick

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »

The theory of free will argues that anyone possessing this God-defying power can freely choose his own course in life by making his own decisions and choices that are CAUSED by no thing or no one. Every free-willer is said to have the power to do or not do, to think or not think, anything they wish, without anything causing them to do contrariwise. So surely Jesus possessed this power as well, did He not? Not.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.