bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking in the Spirit  (Read 5038 times)

stello

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Walking in the Spirit
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:42:47 AM »

Good morning everyone,

I am a new member to the forums. First hello and greetings to everyone!!! Second, how do you walk in the Spirit? There is a verse that says "... walk in the Spirit so you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.."-- I really don't want to fulfill the lust of the flesh, but i don't know what it means to "walk in the Spirit" Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. if this question has been asked already i apologize.
Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Walking in the Spirit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:17:09 PM »

I see four scriptures where Paul admonishes us to "walk in the Spirit".  In each there is a contrast between walking in the flesh and walking in the Spirit.

Gal 5:19  Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

This is a broad overview of what walking in the Spirit is LIKE...what it looks like.

The question is, "How".  Great question.  It was the foremost question on my mind too, and remains so. 

All I can tell you from experience is, that 'seeing' the truths Ray expounded--the Salvation of all, the Sovereignty of God, the power of the New (Spiritual) Covenant vs. the ultimate worthlessness of carnal religion with it's rules and observances was the beginning of my 'walking in the spirit'.  I gauge my actions and reactions according to which 'category' of works and walking are outlined in the above--especially Love--I am 'doing'.

Maybe the most powerful scripture on the subject is this:

Php 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Php 4:9  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

In a nutshell, that's HOW--THINK.  The rest of that chapter is good too.   ;D

Spirit is within more so than without.  Spirit is genuine rather than feigned.  Spirit is lasting rather than temporary.  It doesn't come 'naturally' to most of us...not really to any of us.  It's a gift of God, and every 'walk' begins somewhere.

Welcome to the forum.  Has your experience with these truths so far given you any insight that might help you begin to answer your own question?     

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »

Hi Stello and welcome to the forum. :)

In harmony with Dave's comments regarding Gal. 5:22-23, we are told the character traits that God's Spirit will produce in those who are "walking in the Spirit, i.e., love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. 

Developing the Fruit of the Spirit is a process that takes time and only God can accomplish it in us. We are His workmanship. 

Ephesians 2:10 - "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:09:18 PM by Rene »

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »

Good morning everyone,

I am a new member to the forums. First hello and greetings to everyone!!! Second, how do you walk in the Spirit? There is a verse that says "... walk in the Spirit so you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.."-- I really don't want to fulfill the lust of the flesh, but i don't know what it means to "walk in the Spirit" Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Stello,

Welcome to the forums. Have you had a chance to read through ray's material, including audios? You can find extra material not on the home page here a this link:

Transcripts of ray's audio's: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,12.0.html

Ray's Audios: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,13.0.html

Here is a specific audio from 2009 conference called ARE YET YET CARNAL. It may very well be what you are looking for.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11521.0.html

Here is an excerpt from that audio:

http://bible-truths.com/audio/YetCarnal.mp3

This second lecture I have is entitled 'Are You Yet Carnal’ it’s taken from 1 Corinthians 3.

Carnal: Probably from the base of G4563; flesh as stripped of the skin), that is, (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul (or spirit), or as the symbol of what is external, or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions), or (specifically) a human being (as such): carnal, carnally; flesh, fleshly.

But then it means by implication human nature, physical and morally, the one with human passions and so on.  Carnal is like the word con carne in Spanish, Chili Con Carne is chili with ‘meat.’

Is it bad to be “carnally minded?” YES it is, it's very bad.

Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is DEATH; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Being carnally minded is the complete opposite to being spiritually minded. Carnal minded and spirit minded are at diametric opposite poles, and one is life and the other is death.

So take some time to go through that if you haven't, I think you will be blessed by it.

Walking in the spirit is similar to keeping your eyes on Christ and taking every thought captive to Him. Being burried with Him in baptism. The old man dying daily. All these things in scripture are one. There is ONE faith.

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Ephesians 2:1-7
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

Romans 6:3-11
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Colossians 2:11-13
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Jesus said you will know them by their fruits. The fruits of the spirit are these:

Galatians 5:18-23
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

God wants those who worship him in spirit and truth and obedience is the key to that worship.

John 4:23-24
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord [WORSHIP], and do not the things which I say [OBEY]?

Yet this obedience can only come about in us by God's grace through the gift of faith He has given us.

Ephesians 2:8 For BY GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are HIS workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Titus 2:11-13
11 For the GRACE of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 TEACHING US that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Galatians 2:20 I AM CRUCIFIED WITH Christ: nevertheless I live; YET NOT I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Either way, in the end, it's all God working in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Anyway, I hope this helps some. It really all is one.

Ephesians 4:4-6
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

God bless,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Mike Gagne

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:55 PM »

Hi Stello. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Dave, Alex and Rene.  Through His good works and  I walk better in the spirit today then I did yesterday. Its only by Him that I can walk in the spirit. His grace labours in my heart and teaches me to walk in the spirit better today!

Thanks Dave for are conversation the other day...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:25:09 PM by Michael G »

Nelson Boils

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »

"..try very much to do ALWAYS what is good.And try very much to know God more and more...You must rule yourself properly...continue to be patient and brave...you MUST ALWAYS make God happy...you MUST do what God wants...You MUST be kind...You MUST love other Christians...You MUST love all people also...You should do all these things...These things will show that you know our Lord Jesus Christ.And your work will have good results.But some people do not do these things.They do not think these things are important.They are like people who cannot see clearly...If you do these things,you will NEVER turn away from God...God will be happy with you.."

Kat

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:17:44 PM »

Good morning everyone,

Hi stello, I'm glad you have joined us, your questions are welcomed.

Our "walk" is the way we live, so we are to walk/live by Christ's spiritual commandments.

Mark 12:28  And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that He answered them well, asked Him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?"
v. 29  Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
v. 30  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
v. 31  The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

The only way to obey Christ is to yield to His Spirit indwelling.

Eze 36:27  And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes and be careful to obey My rules.

Rom 8:16  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

We are to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling," (Php 2:12) and here are parts of a beautiful pray from David that I think show how we do what Paul admonished there.

Psa 143:1  A Psalm of David. Hear my prayer, O LORD; give ear to my pleas for mercy! In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!

Psa 143:8  Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You.

Psa 143:10  Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness.

Php 2:13  for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

stello

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »

Thank you all for such fast and helpful answers and scripture. God is indeed amazing. I have a better understanding of what it means to walk in the Spirit. I believe for sometime God has been slowly teaching me about his truths.
For a long time i was in such distress about going to hell. But God is merciful and he directed me to this website where he opened my eyes to the truth. Since then i have had peace with regards to that issue. I am also learning little by little to love him more and more. I truly want to do what is right is the yes of God, but so many times i fail miserably. One of the reasons i asked about walking in the Spirit is because of the scripture that talks about many are called but few chosen. I want to included in the chosen but i know it is not my choice but entirely up to God. But i do want to live right and that scripture that says.. walk in the Spirit.
So then i wanted to know how to do just that, and you have all answered my question. Thank you all very much and thanks to God for being such a merciful and loving God.

stello.

PS. my name is Sterling Alfred, but you can call me by my nickname, stello  :)

Colin

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 04:28:58 AM »

Welcome Stello
I am a relative "new-comer" as well.....like me, you will find it profitable in receiving answers to what may have seemed to be minor questions - where those answers provide opportunities to rediscover many points made by Ray, which we often "read past".   

I too have pondered the topic of "walking in the spirit".   And as we are of "like mind", many of us could say the same.

While watching on TV the staggering brutality and many forms of suffering which so many are experiencing, particularly in Middle Eastern countries, it is only natural to ponder, “how much more must the inhabitants of our planet have to endure”, before the end of this age arrives and a new one begins, where right values will be taught and implanted.    I long for that to happen and pray that my vision of that future time be not dimmed, but rather be even more a certainty to me.   And that if chosen, I can form part of a team which will work towards the achievement, which God has planned for us all. 

Rom 8:22 KJV  For we know that the whole creation groaneth [G4959] and travaileth in pain [G4944] together until now.
Συστενάζω    sustenazō     G4959    From G4862 and G4727; to moan jointly, that is, (figuratively) experience a common calamity: - groan together.
Συνωδίνω  sunōdino     G4944   From G4862 and G5605; to have (parturition, child-birth) pangs in company (concert, simultaneously) with, that is, (figuratively) to sympathize (in expectation of relief from suffering): - travail in pain together.

The type of pain mentioned (intentionally) is one that gets worse and worse until things finally “give way” with intensity.    Our world at present is “in hard labour”….wishing for release….a solution, a way out of it all. 

Paul continues by including us, saying that we are also groaning, but he uses a different word…… why would that be, I asked myself.

Rom 8:23  And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan [G4727] within ourselves, waiting for the adoption [G5206] , to wit, the redemption of our body.
We have a different type of “groaning”….
Στενάζω   stenazō      G4727      From G4728; to make (intransitively be) in straits, that is, (by implication) to sigh, murmur, pray inaudibly: - with grief, groan, grudge, sigh.
We know that there is coming a solution, relief, a complete “turn-about”….. we know that our hope will be fulfilled, but it’s tiring to “wait” and upsetting to see and hear about all the bloodshed and misery. 
υἱοθεσία   uihothesia      G5206    the placing as a son, that is, adoption (figuratively Christian sonship in respect to God): - adoption (of children, of sons).

A few verses later, Paul asks:-
Rom 8:35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

What he could have said is….  “we might (some will) have to experience all sorts of trials, stresses, go hungry, needing clothes, living with widespread terrorists and in fear of our lives….” But that does not indicate Christ has left us separated from His love.   So, we need to take stock, praying for a continuing and strengthening of the faith which Christ gives us, as we face “rough water” ahead.

One “anchor” which will assist is holding on to the vision of the millennium ahead and the desire to qualify.   

Prov 29:18a   Where there is no vision,H2377 the peopleH5971 perish:H6544

H6544   פָּרַע          pâra‛   A primitive root; to loosen; by implication to expose, dismiss; figuratively absolve, begin: - avenge, avoid, bare, go back, let, (make) naked, set at nought, perish, refuse, uncover.

We could put it this way; if you don’t hang on to the vision, you’ll “lose the plot”.

As I view the world news, I ask God to give me the ability to think like He does…to see things more from His perspective….of a world needing to be not only chastised, repaired, cleaned up, but to be educated - eventually to think along God’s wavelength.  My thoughts turned to how could I gain some life experiences to be of any use – to help in reshaping my “spirit” - were there any cues worth following?   

Matthew 25 gave me some pointers….they are words from Jesus, the One who is in charge ….and they are not too obscure.    That was what led me to becoming a volunteer for Hospice and it has been not only rewarding and challenging, but has greatly helped me to empathize towards others, who, despite being younger, are worse off than myself.  I look back and see that was an inspiration given to me and I am grateful for the opportunities to participate.  Not everybody, of course, has the time or chance to do that exact sort of thing, but we all have opportunity to be kind to somebody somewhere, some time.   By beginning “small” we can be given “open doors” to gain more experience and to strengthen our resolve, as well as God inspiring us with thoughts and ideas.   

Ray said he pleaded with God to be shown certain things from scripture….we can do that too; in line with

Luke 11:9  And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10  For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.  11  If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12  Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13  If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Another “prod” was from my reading James, where I found……
Jas 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

A few verses further on, I saw……
Jas 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Again, everybody has limits on what they can do….but I had no excuse to “look the other way”, now that I am on my own, following the death of my wife over two and a half years ago; I can still get around, visit and help the sick and dying – as I find I am able.
 I look ahead to the time when they will remember me when we meet again.    Those particular folk will all give God the praise then for how He has taught, corrected and guided me and also for what He has in mind for them, as they make progress from “darkness into light”.   

Ask God to keep you "hungry and thirsty".....spiritually speaking.

Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Your replies indicate to me that you have indeed been provided with the nourishment you asked for....God does keep His word.      Colin

Porter

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:20 AM »

Hi stello and welcome to the forum. Now that you have an idea on how to walk in the spirit, try not to get discouraged if at times you "trip" and "fall" during your walk.

I once heard Ray say something like "you'll want to quit sinning long before you actually do". I personally have found this to be true and there are still some sins I want to quit, but haven't been able yet. Just remember take baby steps and that we repent in increments. Above all remember that Christ will finish the work He started in you. :)

Porter
Luk 22:31  "Simon, Simon, look out! Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.
Luk 22:32  But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

stello

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »

Thanks again everyone for your kind words of scripture and encouragement. I feel such emotion sometimes reading your responses and thinking about a time in the future when we will all know Jesus and Jesus has saved us all. I look forward to that time so much. Thank you so much Sovereign Lord for all that you do for us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.