bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Praying in your mind?  (Read 3826 times)

stello

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Praying in your mind?
« on: January 22, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »

Hello everyone!

I sometimes pray in my mind or without audible words. Is this ok? should i always verbally pray? Also when you do pray, do you find sometimes your prayers are repetitive?

Thanks for any help.

Stello
Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

lilitalienboi16

Re: Praying in your mind?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »

Hello everyone!

I sometimes pray in my mind or without audible words. Is this ok? should i always verbally pray? Also when you do pray, do you find sometimes your prayers are repetitive?

Thanks for any help.

Stello

Hello Stello,

Please take the time to read this article by ray entitled 'Praying by God's rules:' http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm

I will answer your question using the Words of our Great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ:

Matthew 6:1-8
1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Matthew 6:16-18
16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

And a reminder of just how God looks on us:

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Don't be like the hypocrites. Pray in secret and God who see's in secret will answer you openly. He's trying the hearts of His people and does not look on our outward appearance.

I highly encourage you to read what ray wrote. He adds some really great and powerful scriptures that will blow wide open the secret to having every prayer answered ;)

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »

Hello everyone!

I sometimes pray in my mind or without audible words. Is this ok?

How else can a person "pray without ceasing"? 

Also when you do pray, do you find sometimes your prayers are repetitive?

Yes.  But I'm no great example of a "pray-er". 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »

Hi Stello, I think of formal pray is more of going to a private (no distractions) place, so you can concentrate your thoughts on God completely. Whereas the 'informal' pray is when I am praying in my mind, any time any place, but still aware of my surroundings, it's just directing my thoughts to God... both of these would be good. That's how I think we accomplish "pray without ceasing" (1Th 5:17) as well as "be constant in prayer" (Rom 12:12). Here are a few places Ray spoke about prayer.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7086.0.html ---------

Hello Mr. Smith. I'll make this short. I always had a hard time showing my feelings. When I talk to God it's like, it's not coming from my heart. I hear a lot of people saying they can feel the love coming out of there heart when talking to God. That's what I would love to have. I feel like a hypocrite. Giving lip service. I feel ashamed

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
                                                                                Darren

Dear Darren:
    I am sure that your problem which also effects many others, is a problem of faith (belief). If Jesus were sitting with you in your living room or bedroom, just five or six feet away, you would have zero problem speaking with Him.  But you do NOT see Him sitting or standing five or six feet from you. You may picture Him way way in outer space or in come uninviting secret chamber of Divine Holiness or whatever.  It is hard to try and speak with Someone in such a setting.  God is ever present RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE.  He is closer to you than your own heart and lungs (Acts 17:27).  The song lyrics: "He is in the tree tops, so tall;  in the sparrow, so small," is Scripturally accurate. 

You have to know that God is present at all times.  I never try to "send" my prayers into outer space or any such nonsense.  I whisper to God right where I am.  I talk to God (with reverence) in the same words and tones that I speak to my wife or best friends.  Did you ever take a car trip with a friend that lasted all day?  Do you have to "strain" to make conversation? Do you only talk about profound, deep, spiritual things, with lofty words?  No, of course not, and neither should you pray to God in such a manner.

God is your Father and Jesus is your Elder Brother and Saviour. TALK to them of your feelings, and your needs, and your desires, and your frustrations, and everything that is on your mind. When I awake each morning I pray for those coming to our site;  I pray for my web master and my best friends;  I pray for my wife and daughter;  I pray for wisdom and understanding;  I pray for humility--I pray for EVERYTHING THAT IS ON MY MIND!  I KNOW that God is (not there) but HERE, right where I am. If I thought for one moment that God was not hearing me and answering me and concerned over me and loving me--I wouldn't pray at all. 

I do not pray as the Church does that God will "CHANGE HIS MIND" about things that are happening and make things better for me than He originally intended. I thank God that He NEVER EVER CHANGES HIS MIND.  There is great security in that profound truth.  God ALWAYS does things RIGHT the FIRST tim e around!!

We must stop asking God to "get in tune with OUR WISHES," and begin asking God to "get us in tune WITH HIS WISHES!"  Remember always the words of our Lord:  "THY WILL be done...."  And as Jesus Himself prayed in the garden, "NOT as I will but as THOU" (Matt. 26:39). There is nothing easier than to talk with a close friend. Jesus is OUR FRIEND and we are HIS FRIEND if we obey Him (John 15:14) .  I will pray for you that God will be as real to you as you are to you.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4270.0.html ------------

SO WHAT SHOULD WE PRAY FOR?

ANYTHING YOU DESIRE that accords with God’s will, and accords with "what must be." God has met my physical needs of food, clothing, shelter, and transportation. What I pray about are qualities godliness—love, faith, courage, knowledge & understanding, wisdom, patience, self-control, thankfulness. I am a firm believer that if we think about the right things; we will then pray about the right things. I pray all day about everything and anything that is strongly on my mind. Why shouldn’t we, seeing that God is our Father and Jesus is our Saviour and Elder Brother. God wants to hear from us. Talk to your God.  A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G  IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT OR BE CONCERNED ABOUT IS WORTHY OF TALKING WITH GOD ABOUT."

Granted, we need to study the Scriptures to learn more about what God's will is, but until we have perfect understanding, we pray as best we can.  Notice that in the first and last sentence of the above paragraph, I used the word "ANYTHING"!!

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6296.0.html ------------

Let me make it as simple as I can. God already knows and has declared the "END FROM THE BEGINNING" (Isa. 46:10). Therefore nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can ever change from what God ALWAYS KNEW WILL BE.

Now hold that Scriptural thought and don't ever let it go!  Next comes the more difficult part for most to believe and understand.

Things that God knows WILL HAPPEN, don't JUST happen without His sovereign direction.  Therefore, some things would never happen unless you PRAY for them.  Ah, but that is where I lost you and most others as well. 

I repeat:  Some things would never happen unless you PRAY for them to happen.  Does that mean that if you had NOT PRAYED for them they would NOT have happened. Exactly. Isn't that what I just said?  Well then, just how can God KNOW what will happen if you DON'T pray for something to happen that He knows MUST HAPPEN?  Whether it happens or doesn't happen in this case all hinges on WHETHER YOU PRAY FOR IT OR NOT.  So how can God know FOR SURE? 

If God WANTS something to happen through a prayer of yours, and God KNOWS that something will happen IF YOU PRAY for it, guess what?
GOD WILL SEE TO IT THAT  Y-O-U  D-O  P-R-A-Y  F-O-R  I-T!  And this is exactly what God teaches in the Scriptures. Now can you see and understand it?

God be with you,

Ray

stello

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »

Thank you all for your help!!  :)
Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.