bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work at night  (Read 3742 times)

Mahonse

Work at night
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »

I am struck by what Jesus says in John 9:4-5

As long as day lasts, we must carry out the work of the one who sent me; the night will soon be here when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Along that same trail of thought, I also recall what it repeatedly (x6) says in Genesis 1, e.g.

Evening came and morning came: the fourth day.

In other words, God created, or worked, during the day only. Does this mean that we should not be working at night? A clear example is doing night shifts. But could that follow for monetary transactions too? I've heard a very good speaker, Chip Ingram, say in talks that one of the proofs of God's nature is through the created order.

For what can be known about God is perfectly plain to them; ever since the creation of the world, the invisible evidence of God and his everlasting power have been clearly seen by the mind's understanding of created things. And so these people have no excuse. Romans 1:19-20

A Sri Lankan friend once said to me, after I had finished a night shift, that there's a hormone produced in the body when you sleep, but that it can only be produced when one is sleeping in the dark I.e. Night.

Just an interesting thought.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Work at night
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »

Sometimes we can get too literal. God calls the entire creation period of time a 'day'.

Your Sri Lankan friend is correct about sleeping in the dark.

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: Work at night
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:37 PM »

I am struck by what Jesus says in John 9:4-5

As long as day lasts, we must carry out the work of the one who sent me; the night will soon be here when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

The disciples often thought that Jesus was speaking of literal things but he was really speaking of spiritual things.

I.E.

Joh 6:63  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Christ was speaking of spiritual darkness in the world and not the absence of ambient light at nighttime.  In like manner he called himself the 'light' of the world.  That didn't mean that he gave physical light to the world any more than he was talking about physical darkness in the same sentence.  As long as he was in the world he was the 'spiritual' light of the world, ect.  And BTW welcome to the forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.