bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fasting?  (Read 9823 times)

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Fasting?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »

That's correct Rick,

So then it is not that difficult to fast if it is for the right reason.  :)
-
If it is designed to draw you closer to God and to focus on your relationship with God
instead of your usual activities then it should be a joyful occasion.
You will be so busy or so involved in sharing your feelings and hopes with your loving creator that the time will pass almost without notice and toward the end you will not even sense hunger. You will just be so filled with love that you will want to continue a few hours longer.

That's what it is supposed to be like...

John from Kentucky

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

That's correct Rick,

-
If it is designed to draw you closer to God and to focus on your relationship with God
You will be so busy or so involved in sharing your feelings and hopes with your loving creator that the time will pass almost without notice and toward the end you will not even sense hunger. You will just be so filled with love that you will want to continue a few hours longer.

What are the two Scriptures that support any of your statements?

rick

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »

That's correct Rick,

-

Hi J.f .k

I would use Mat 6:5 and also Mat 6:16

I fully agree with your question, without scriptural proof  false doctrine takes over.

God bless.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »

That's correct Rick,

You will be so busy or so involved in sharing your feelings and hopes with your loving creator that the time will pass almost without notice and toward the end you will not even sense hunger. You will just be so filled with love that you will want to continue a few hours longer?

Hi J.f .k

I would use Mat 6:5 and also Mat 6:16

I fully agree with your question, without scriptural proof  false doctrine takes over.

God bless.

No cigar.

Mat 6:5 is not about fasting.  Also, Jesus said His words were Spirit and Life.

Isa 58:6 gives the scriptural definition of fasting.  Jesus said, "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must do so in Spirit and in Truth."  Jesus also said you don't put new wine in old wineskins.

Nothing physical like fasting will bring us to God.  Only God can bring us to Himself.  We must put away childish things like fasting and come out of the great false religious system.

We must worship our Great God in Spirit and Truth.

Kat

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 09:20:08 PM »

In a search I came across an email a member received from Ray on fasting. I think it will benefit this discussion.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=3215.0 ---

Is fasting a something we should do? As per Ray's teachings fasting cannot have any spiritual benefits because it is something we do in the flesh. I got this e-mail response from him regarding the matter but still left me we wanting more...

"Dear Roy:
... I never said you fasted for two years in vain, and I don't know that you should feel that way either.  I have gone many many times from 3 or 4 am till 3 or 4 pm studying God's word and have never thought for a moment (until you write me) that I was actually fasting, skipping meals, to study God's word. I know that many of the leading heretics in today's religious community, fast and pray, but little is accomplished by them.

I have never criticized anyone for fasting, being baptized, partaking of communion, foot washings, keeping of holy days, circumcision, anointed cloths, etc., etc.  But I also know that all of these things have a spiritual meaning to them. People become very self-righteous about keeping the seventh day Sabbath, and in so doing, they BREAK the spirit of what the sabbath represents--entered into GOD'S REST, that is not doing our works, but resting from our works and letting God perform His works in us (Eph. 2:8-10). 

Christ was circumcised, baptized, fasted, partook of the last supper, washed the disciples' feet, etc.  Do you still, literally, wash the feet of others?  Why not? I mean Jesus did say, "...you ALSO OUGHT to wash one another's feet." Do you? I do, but I don't use literal water and a basin because I KNOW the spiritual application of being a servant to others even when it means getting down and dirty.  Yet I have known hundreds from a previous church affiliation who had a "foot washing" ceremony annually along with the Passover service, and most of those leading men who literally washed others feet would never dream to actually doing anything in real life that was not pleasant in helping a lower level sheep.

And so this is how I see all of the physical rituals including fasting. There was nothing more important to Israel than circumcision, and yet Paul turns around and tells us "Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye BE CIRCUMCISED, Christ shall profit you NOTHING" (Gal.  5:2). I realize that most people are not interested in the spiritual, and that the physical is much easier to do, because it can be SEEN. It is a lot harder to "live by faith" not seeing the things that we believe to be true. I will not say anything against physical fasting.  If that is what people feel they need to do, then possibly they should do it. If people FORGET that Jesus is their Saviour or that His blood was shed for them, or that we are to EAT HIS BODY, except they eat a little piece of bread and a sip of wine every so often, then so be it. 

The longest I ever went without food and water was four days and for four days all I thought about was food and water, but I made myself believe that I was DOING IT FOR THE LORD.  I guess I didn't know how to do it right or something.  Or maybe I'm just more honest than most people.  I believe Jesus was preparing us for bigger things when He taught: "It is the SPIRIT that quickens; the flesh profits NOTHING: the words that I speak unto you, THEY ARE SPIRIT, and they are life" (John 6:63).

No, I don't have a specific verse that says, "But he is a Jew, which is one INWARDLY, and [fast and baptism] circumcision is that of the heart [Isa. 58 & Rom. 6:4] in the SPIRIT, and not of the letter [actually not eating of food and getting wet in water]; whose praise is not of men, but of God" (Rom. 2:29), but I believe it is the same.

God be with you,
Ray
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.