bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I wonder  (Read 3425 times)

Nelson Boils

I wonder
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »

Mat 8:21 "...let me first go bury my father"

Luke 9:61 "...but first let me say goodbye to my family."

Question:

I wonder what would have happened had Jesus said:"Okay,go bury your father and I will wait for you." Or:"Okay,go say goodbye to your family and I will wait for you."

Do you think they would eventually come and follow Jesus?Would procrastination creep in from their side after they did what they had to do first?After they did what they had to do could it be that something else was going to come up?After that then another thing comes up.

Mike Gagne

Re: I wonder
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »

Hi Shechiyn,

I can say for sure in the past that when someone asked me to do something that I didn't want to do I always said I have something else to do,and if they said I will wait, I would find something to add to what I had to do to avoid doing what they wanted. So no I don't think they would have come back and followed Him, and if they did, something else would come up!

Michael

Nelson Boils

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »

Well said,MG.

I think to the carnal mind this would seem like Jesus was being rude,or unfair.I mean if i was in that position,meaning if I was Christ,I would have probably said,"OK man,go bury your father,then come and follow me."
I would have been overcome by emotion and would have felt,"aahwww,poor guy,let me let him first say goodbye to his family or let him go bury his father."

This event in scripture clearly show us that even things that seem honorable to men,these things come 2nd to doing spiritual things.The kingdom comes 1st in our lives.

I am reminded of Ray when he said somewhere,"Anything we choose to do over doing something spiritual,that particular thing becomes an idol."

Imagine the persecution that would have come to that man had he chosen to leave the burial of his father and attend to matters of life,with the Lord.

What a road this is.

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

Matthew 6:33, and 1st Kings 19:19-21 came to mind while reading this post.

Matthew 6:33-But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
1st kings 19:20-And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. And he said unto him, Go back again: for what have I done to thee?

As it goes on to say, Elisha Cooked the oxen and went on after Elijah at that time.

Joel

Mike Gagne

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »

Hi Joel,

1Ki 19:20  And he left the oxen and ran after Elijah and said, "Let me kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow you." And he said to him, "Go back again, for what have I done to you?"

As we know none of the promises were for the old testament patriarchs, so maybe thats why Jesus said this ?

Luke 9:62   (ESV)
62  Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.

And those who followed, left with him immediately. Just a thought.

But good point though Joel

thanks
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.