bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question about John the babtizer  (Read 3682 times)

jingle52

A Question about John the babtizer
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

John was chosen by God to announce the coming of the Messiah and the kingdom of heaven , Math 3: 2,3
He then tells them that the One coming after him will judge everyone in righteousness Math 3:10-12. So when Jesus comes to fulfill the Scriptures by coming to be babtized, John acknowledges that Jesus is the One Math 3:14.
So John saw everything that took place in Math 3:16,17  (otherwise he could not have written about it).
why then when he was in prison did he send his two disciples to ask Jesus if he was the One in Math 11:2,3?
This is a bit confusing to me, can somebody please help me understand this a bit better?
Thanks a lot.
Jingle

Kat

Re: A Question about John the babtizer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »

Hi Jingle,

John the Baptist was a Jew, and in that first century their idea of the coming Messiah was a conquering Savior, one who would free them from Roman control.

Isa 9:6  For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
v. 7  Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Jesus' mission had nothing to do with gaining Judea's independence, but John was not ignorant of these prophecies. But as you said, John had seen the Spirit of God descending on Jesus at His baptism, heard a voice from heaven, declaring Him the Son of God (John 1:34). John often pointed Jesus out to others, and declared Him the Lamb of God (John 1:29,36) and bridegroom (John 3:29).

John 1:29  The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

Luke 3:21  When all the people were baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened.
v. 22  And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."

But was John confused, as the disciples were as to Jesus' humble attitude, instead of a powerful conqueror?

Luke 19:11  Now as they heard these things, He spoke another parable, because He was near Jerusalem and because they thought the kingdom of God would appear immediately.

In prison did John have doubts and wondered why Christ did not deliver him? OR did John expect to be executed and want his disciples to see firsthand that Jesus was the Messiah and believe in Him and therefore sent his disciples to ask a few questions of Jesus for 'their' assurance? Early on Andrew was John's disciple and went to follow Jesus (John 1:35-40), maybe these were reluctant to embrace another. So whatever it was it does seem more likely to me that it was for his disciples sake.

Mat 11:2  And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples
v. 3  and said to Him, "Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?"
v. 4  Jesus answered and said to them, "Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
v. 5  The blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
v. 6  And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me."

mercy, peace and love
Kat

rickylittleton

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »

You know, when things are going just the way God has ordain for them to go, and you are having no tests  nor tribulation's in your work for the Lord, we rejoice! But when you start catching hell, and it seems that God in no where around, you can't help to start question your self, what you were, and are trying to do, and if you were doing things just like God lead you to do, and find your self down in Herod's dungeon looking at your life about to end, you tend to began question yourself, or those who are with you concerning your mission! Its only human. But like John, we must hold out and endure unto the end! Only then will we be over comer's!  I heard on minister expound saying; Maybe John was thinking, If you are the one, why don't you come and get me out this dungeon!  Tim

jingle52

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »

Hi Kat
Many thanks for that, I stupidly didn't take the historical background into consideration! Jesus will conquer everything in the end but the divine plane of the Father has to play itself out as planned.
Thank you Kat for those verses.

Tim, thank you for your contribution, much appreciated.

Jingle

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.