bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Timothy 3:12-NLT  (Read 5261 times)

stello

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
2 Timothy 3:12-NLT
« on: March 31, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »

"Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution"

Hello everyone,

just wanted to ask about this verse. Paul went through some really perilous times and most of you maybe going through something right now. I sometimes think about this verse and I'm not going through anything that could be considered persecution. Maybe its minor for me but maybe major for someone else? I just have some doubts sometimes if I am living a Godly life then where is the persecution? Is this persecution sometimes personal? For instance internal wrestling struggling with sin and guilt? or is it external? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stello
Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

octoberose

Re: 2 Timothy 3:12-NLT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:27 PM »

Hi Stello,
 In the context of the verse Paul is talking about persecutions, sufferings, and "what kind of things happened in Antioch, Iconic and Lystra and the persecutions I endured." In the verses before that he refers to men who oppose the truth and have depraved minds.   For those reasons and more I can't imagine that he is talking about anything other then external persecutions - how other people treat us. The internal  struggles we have Paul addresses frequently, but here he is contrasting his way of life and faith with the those who are lovers of themselves and abusive.
 As far as where is the persecution in your own life, I can only say life is a marathon (usually) and not a sprint. Many things happen to us as we grow in years and in wisdom. A decade ago I would have said I really felt no persecution in my life- right now I can plainly see it because of  the rift in my own family because some of us have followed Christ. There are those in my circle of friends who plainly question my 'christianity' because I believe in universal reconciliation. Try to say no to same sex marriage in this culture and watch what happens. Believe that God is the creator and author of life and someone will be pushing back. Or refuse to look the other way when there is theft or something illegal going on in your workplace. Or refuse to lie for someone. When I open myself up to carrying the cross of Christ- there's usually someone around who is happy to try to trip me up.
 Just love people well and honor the name of Christ- the rest will follow.

stello

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:19:32 PM »

Thanks a lot Octoberose!! helped a lot. I will just leave everything in god's hands and let him lead the way.

Stello
Job 13:15 "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him."

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »

The older you get the wiser you become (hopefully). But your wisdom looks like foolishness to others and they will persecute you for it. IMO.

Pro 4:7  Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Ecc 1:18  For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Luk 11:49  Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:

rick

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »

"Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution"

Hello everyone,

just wanted to ask about this verse. Paul went through some really perilous times and most of you maybe going through something right now. I sometimes think about this verse and I'm not going through anything that could be considered persecution. Maybe its minor for me but maybe major for someone else? I just have some doubts sometimes if I am living a Godly life then where is the persecution? Is this persecution sometimes personal? For instance internal wrestling struggling with sin and guilt? or is it external? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stello

Persecution is always a possibility when with anyone that is not like minded, if you could reason with anyone with the wisdom and truth of this site and try to commuicate that at your local church, oh boy, would you find persecution in a heart beat.

God bless.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:13:27 AM »

I think the trials are HIGHLY PERSONALIZED by God because we all have different backgrounds, think on different speeds, have diferent resistence to pain and move on different directions.

I believe everyone's life is very ineteresting and we all have to deal with our own set of personalized trials, the thing is that some are ABLE TO SEE IT and some DO NOT.

To me, my life very often seems a little bit sureal...

jingle52

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »

Too true Moises  :)

Jingle

lostANDfound

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »

Thanks for posing this question. I have asked it myself and wondered why do I get to enjoy a happy marraige and healthy children.  There have been periods of pain, indecision and mental agony, and none of my friends and family really understand me. I am thought of as a deluded heretic by those who've discussed 'religion' with me. But there is mostly peace and I wonder if what I've experienced would be considered persecution and scourging.  And wonder if there is some huge heartache around the corner that I'm way overdue for. I do believe that his plan is good and he loves my family more than I ever could so I can rest in that.  But like I said, I have asked the same question as Stello.
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 11:08:05 PM »

I wonder too if all we went and/or go through on the way to "peace" is part of the scourging.  Maybe in some people it is the most part. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.