bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teaching  (Read 4815 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Teaching
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »

Do you guys teach your kids 'Bible-Truths'? How do you go about teaching kids pre-teen and younger the truths that you've learned? Where do you even start since a lot (if not most) of what's taught here is somewhat of a unlearning process of the teachings of 'church'.. How, what and where do you start teaching a child who has not been totally indoctrinated in the teachings of the 'church'?

Thanks

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Wittenberg

Re: Teaching
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »

I wrote something a few weeks back about telling my son the truth. Basically I just told him that Jesus died for the sins of everyone and that everyone would know God someday. I also felt it was important to tell him God controlled everything and that there is a good reason why everything happens. My son and I have a close relationship and he's still at the age where he believes everything I say, so he excepted it. He knew about "hell" and told me he thought people went there, but was very happy to learn people don't burn for eternity. Leave it to children to recognize good news when they hear it.
I was, for some reason, apprehensive to talk to my son about these things, so I prayed about it a lot. I have been really blessed and so has my son from us discussing it.
Be blessed

lareli

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:49:34 PM »

Do you read the bible to him?

Wittenberg

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »

Sometimes, he's 8 and gets bored if I'm reading it out loud to him. Mostly I tell him bible stories and what the point of the stories are.

lostANDfound

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »

We teach ours (2,6 & 8) about what we believe and why.  And point out inconsistencies in their childrens bible story books, and let them know that God chose a certain way to teach us, and He will reveal himself to them through their lives.  And that it's good to wonder and question, even if it challenges what their parents believe. And we read the bible together every night before bed, so if they want to stall bedtime they ask more questions.  :)
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

rick

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »

Do you guys teach your kids 'Bible-Truths'? How do you go about teaching kids pre-teen and younger the truths that you've learned? Where do you even start since a lot (if not most) of what's taught here is somewhat of a unlearning process of the teachings of 'church'.. How, what and where do you start teaching a child who has not been totally indoctrinated in the teachings of the 'church'?

Thanks

Hi Largeli,

Its a wonderful thing to raise ones child with the word of God , Scripture talks about how a child when grown up should walk in the way they were taught.

How do you feel that would play out in a world so full of corruption with the understanding that God controls all thing  and without Devine intervention we are all subjected to our nature which is pure vanity?

A part of me thinks if I had grown up with the knowledge of just the book of proverbs alone how different would my life be today?

Its apparent to me Gods plans for my life lead me down a different road a road of looking back and finding regrets along the way that tells me there was no wisdom or love in that which I have done causing me to seek a different path.

But to me there is great wisdom and love in teaching a child the word of God while always praying its Gods will that the child walk according to their teaching of Gods truths.

God bless.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:14:47 PM by Rick »

lareli

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »

We teach ours (2,6 & 8) about what we believe and why.  And point out inconsistencies in their childrens bible story books, and let them know that God chose a certain way to teach us, and He will reveal himself to them through their lives.  And that it's good to wonder and question, even if it challenges what their parents believe. And we read the bible together every night before bed, so if they want to stall bedtime they ask more questions.  :)

I like what you said about 'it's good to wonder and ask questions even if it challenges what their parents believe'

I want my kids to know what the bible says and let God reveal Himself to them. But I don't want them to blindly just believe what I do just because I'm their parent you know? I want them to think for themselves and not 'follow' me but know and follow God as He reveals Himself to them.

I also read to them at least 1 chapter every night before bed. Trying to work through all 4 gospels without much 'teaching' on my part unless they ask questions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:49:36 PM by largeli »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.