bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ye are gods  (Read 4872 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Ye are gods
« on: May 13, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »

John 10:34 / Ps 82:6

I said ye are gods..

Did Ray write about the meaning of this? What's your understanding..
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lareli

Re: Ye are gods
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »

Sometimes when I have the opportunity to kill a spider or some helpless bug, these words pop in my head.. "Ye Are Gods"

I feel like to this small bug I am god-like in the sense that I can decide the fate of this poor helpless bug. I then wonder how God wants me to use this authority that He's given me over this tiny creature of His. Will I be judged by how I treated helpless creatures? Why wouldn't I be?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

willemv

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »

This is a generic form of the word and does not denote being on par with God (divine ) or being God-like. It is also used in Acts 12 :22 where the people shouted :"it is the voice of a god and not of a man" and again in 2 Cor 4 :4 "in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not".

The Greek language , being of human origin , fails to exhibit the wonderful precision of the Hebrew language .The Greek word is "Theos"which corresponds,generally, with Elohim in the OT, but also with El and even sometimes with Jehovah which in Hebrew all have a different meaning but in Greek there is only this one word.

People write books on this subject ,but I hope this helps.

God bless

Wim

Kat

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »

Here is a excerpt from the article 'Is God a Closed Trinity or an Expanding Family?'

http://bible-truths.com/trinity.html -------------------

Let us always read and believe the Scriptures. The English word "God" is translated from the Greek word Theos which means PLACER or DISPOSER. ANYONE to whom the Father gives such an office of "placer or disposer" is a God! Notice what God says in Psalm 82:6,

"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."

Jesus explains this verse for us:

"Jesus answered them, ‘Is it not written in your law, that ‘I say you are gods’? If He said those were gods, to whom the word of God came [and the scripture can not be annulled], are you saying to Him Whom the Father hallows and dispatches into the world that You are blaspheming,’ seeing that I said, ‘Son of God am I’? If I am not doing My Father’s works, do not believe Me. Yet if I am doing them, and if ever you are not believing Me, be believing the works, that you may be knowing and believing that in Me is the Father, and I am in the Father." (John 10:35-38)

Okay then, let’s notice a few very important points. Jesus never came out and said "I AM GOD!" He always called Himself, "The Son OF God." Recall that Jesus did not consider it "pillaging" to be equal with God. That is, he didn’t need to steal, or take His office by FORCE, because His God, the Father, GAVE ALL THINGS TO HIM FREELY! Though Jesus is certainly "God," we must always remember that everything that made Him "God" (like His Father), WAS GIVEN TO HIM! Is there anyone who would suggest that someone GAVE God the Father all that He possesses? I think not.
v
When the Pharisees accused Jesus of blaspheming because He said He was "The SON of God," Jesus reminded them that their own scriptures state that, "YE ARE GODS."

"I have said, YE ARE GODS; and all of you are CHILDREN OF THE MOST HIGH" (Psalm 82:6).

"For WE [Believers] ARE members of His [Jesus] body, of His flesh, and of His bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they TWO shall be ONE flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and THE CHURCH" (Eph. 5:31-32).

"That they ALL may be ONE [Who?--ALL. How many?--ONE] as you Father are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be ONE in US... And the glory which You gave to Me I have given them, that they may be ONE, EVEN AS WE ARE ONE" (John 17:21-22).

This IS the Scripture that Jesus quoted. They didn't accept what Jesus said, and people will not accept what I say.
------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing to consider largeli, the creation was made for us, not us for the creation... I mean all that is here in this universe is created for our benefit one way or another. This creation is temporary everything in it dies/ceases to be, God has determined how that will happen, first cause.

You may choose to squish a bug, I swat flies all the time, is that wrong? Do you know of a law against killing the creatures of this world? It is true man has been given "dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth" (Gen 1:28). So we rule in this creation and yes we will be held accountable if we misuse that prerogative given us... but squishing a bug? I don't see that as a sin.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Joel

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:21:42 AM »

A few more scriptures may be helpful here also.

John 1:11-13
11-He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12-But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13-Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Joel

willemv

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 06:00:54 AM »

"I have said , Ye are gods;and all of you are children of the Most High "The verses before this one say, vs5 :"They know not , neither will they understand; They walk on in darkness" etc. and the verse after vs 6 says :"But you shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes and Arise O God,judge the earth:For Thou shalt inherit all nations ".

This sounds more like a lamentation in the first verses and then Vs 6 a "supposed to be the case " and the last verses a prayer for God to restore the earth to what it is supposed to be. That 's why in vs 6 gods is  written without the capital letter,it is merely a generic word at the instance it was written by the psalmist who clearly recognised the spiritual state(or rather lack thereof )  of the people around him and the nations on the earth.

We have the promise to be God's sons and daughters and are striving to be worthy of that illustrious position ,but will only attain it after the resurrection of the elect in the first resurrection.

Jesus was sometimes  a little mischievous when addressing the pharisees , teasing them for instance when He had Peter paying the prescribed temple tax.

God bless ,Wim

Kat

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

In Psalms 82 David is speaking to the v. 1 "congregation" of Israel, God's chosen people. David is speaking of those people who are appointed by God (as Ray said God is the Placer or Disposer) from among His people to the positions they hold. These appointed people, these kings and rulers, judges and magistrates are called gods, because they have their commission from God and rule/govern over His chosen people.

In verses 2-5 David is confronting these magistrates/gods with their lack of overseeing the people justly, v.2 "How long will you judge unjustly, And show partiality to the wicked?" If anybody thinks that David is speaking about the Lord God they are mistaken.

Psalms 82:6  I said, "You are gods, And all of you are children of the Most High.

In verse 6 David continues to impress upon them that their appointed positions of authority came from God Himself and that should be a great motivator for them to do right by His people. But David turns to the Lord God in verse 8, as he knows He is the only real hope for justice in the land.

Psalms 82:8  Arise, O God, judge the earth; For You shall inherit all nations.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:40:15 PM by Kat »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.