bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thigh  (Read 4267 times)

john wimbs

thigh
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »

In Gen24:2,Abraham has his eldest servant place his hand under his thigh to have him swear.Jacobs thigh was was out of joint.Jacob had Joseph to place his hand under his thigh to have him swear unto him.Several times the sword on the thigh is mentioned.Then in Rev19:16 Christ has on his thigh a name written KING OF KINGS LORD OF LORDS. What is the SPIRITUAL meaning of the thigh?

Kat

Re: thigh
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:08:41 AM »

Hi John,
I looked these verses up on e-Sword,
the Albert Barnes' notes of the Bible had this to say about it.

Gen. 24:2
Under my thigh.” The thigh was the seat of generative power, and the region of sacramental consecration, and to put the hand under the thigh was to acknowledge and pledge obedience to him who requires the oath.

Rev. 19:16
And on his thigh - The robe or military cloak may be conceived of as open and flowing, so as to expose the limbs of the rider; and the idea is, that the name was conspicuously written not only on the flowing robe, but on the other parts of his dress, so that it must be conspicuous whether his military cloak were wrapped closely around him, or whether it was open to the breeze. Grotius supposes that this name was on the edge or hilt of the sword which depended from his thigh.

Kat

john wimbs

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:35:52 PM »

Thank you Kat , interesting .Let me be a little more open about our talk.[between my wife and I] Someone we know was trying to use what was written on Christs thigh as an escuse for getting a tatoo.I told her there was more to this than just the LETTER .However I couldnt explain the spiritual meaning.I know in Lev.19:28 The Lord says dont print any marks upon you .However it appears to be refering to mourning for the dead.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:04:30 PM »

Hi John,

OK, I see this is about a tatoo :D

Well, the way I look at it is,
a tatoo does no harm actually, to the person.
I personally don't like the look of it. :P

I do not see how something like this tatoo, piercings or such,
is against scripture.

just my opinion.

Kat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.