bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does it mean to run the race.  (Read 6395 times)

rick

What does it mean to run the race.
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »

I understand what running a race means in the carnal sense but what does it mean in the spiritual sense ?

Whether in a carnal sense or spiritual sense the object is to win , in the carnal sense we use our physical strength and wits to win but in the spiritual sense we use which of our ability to win?

Jesus said He could do nothing on His own ,Ray proved we do or have free will.

I use to think running the race meant to clean ones life up to become exceptable to God before they die a physical death but this way of thinking couldn't  be further from the truth.

Does running the race simply mean to keep thinking about God ?  I'm uncertain concerning this race Paul speaks of because what I thought I should be doing I don't see me doing it, so I'm thinking how does one run the race Paul mentions ?

I wonder if I'm running the race but just don't realize it. Are we to be consciously aware of this race we are in or is running the race a way of life?

God bless.

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: What does it mean to run the race.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »

I understand what running a race means in the carnal sense but what does it mean in the spiritual sense ?

Whether in a carnal sense or spiritual sense the object is to win , in the carnal sense we use our physical strength and wits to win but in the spiritual sense we use which of our ability to win?

Jesus said He could do nothing on His own ,Ray proved we do or have free will.

I use to think running the race meant to clean ones life up to become exceptable to God before they die a physical death but this way of thinking couldn't  be further from the truth.

Does running the race simply mean to keep thinking about God ?  I'm uncertain concerning this race Paul speaks of because what I thought I should be doing I don't see me doing it, so I'm thinking how does one run the race Paul mentions ?

I wonder if I'm running the race but just don't realize it. Are we to be consciously aware of this race we are in or is running the race a way of life?

God bless.

Hi Rick,

Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Matthew 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mark 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Revelation 2:25-27
25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Revelation 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Galatians 6:7-9
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2 Timothy 4:1-8
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

God bless,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response but I still am not understanding what the race involves , I read the scriptures you used to help me with my understanding and I still don't get it.

One scripture said if all men hate me for His name sake , I know of no one who hates me there maybe someone who does but I'm not aware of it.

I know if I were to ho to any church in Christendom and spoke of the things I learned here there would be some who would hate me because I do not believe as they do.
The
Scripture says if I remain steadfast in what I know till He comes and if I overcome and keep His works .

I haven't found where scripture clarified this running of the race Paul mentioned, I know Ray said referring to being saved it's all one , probably this oneness includes running the race I'm just not sure though.

Maybe this race is just following the prompting of the Holy Spirit , things come to me slowly but when I get it I get it.

Thanks again Alex and God bless.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »

Hi Rick,

Well let me see if I can summarize how I understand it without making it too complicated. Remember His Word is one. To worship Him is to obey Him.

Running the race involves enduring to the end. Enduring to the end is to overcome. To overcome is to be saved. To be saved is to receive the crown of life.

To endure, to run the race, requires abiding in Him and He in us and that we keep His Word.

It is the transforming process of Salvation.

It applies to this life and will be true in the life of every elect of God.

God bless,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

rick

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »

Hi Alex,

I'm thinking it's like Ray said its all one thing, it's like Ray said about the paribles, they are told in different ways but they are all the same.

Sometimes I start to think there is a special formula to follow the truth but  what we need to do is follow Jesus if of course Christ be in us.

But I always feel I could be also deceived and the reason I say that is because all of Christendom believes they are save but in that day Christ will say get to my left I never knew you. It's all the same you know, get to my left ,white throne judgement, lake of fire it's all the same thing.

Ray said getting save is hard I believe that is when God is calling someone , outside of that getting saved is impossible.

The road that leads to life is long and narrow and few be there that on on it, God help us all.

God bless.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:45:50 PM by Rick »

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 09:36:57 PM »

It's best not to overthink or get bent out of shape over salvation.

The great false church ruled by Satan teaches the lie of salvation by works.  The false teachers, great and small, teach we have to do this and that to get saved.  If you do good works, then you are good, and God likes you.  If you are bad, then ......

The truth is Jesus saves all, when he chooses.  It is all about Jesus, the Great God and Saviour.

The Scriptures teach we are saved by Grace, which is a complete gift from God.

Further, the Scriptures show us the three principal events in God's plan of salvation of all.

First, Passover, which shows Jesus as the Lamb of God, Who covers all sins and saves all.

Second, Pentecost or Feast of First Fruits, which shows the salvation of the initial few.

Third, the Fall Harvest, which shows the salvation of all.

The Scriptures say not to worry about anything.  But how many believe and obey the Scriptures?

There is no free will.  No human can decide if they want to be saved or not by what they say or do.

God will save everyone, each at their appointed time.

Jesus is the chosen One who will bring about the salvation of all.  Nothing for us to worry about.

Kat

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »

Hi Rick, there are quite a few Scripture about following Christ and what that means, here are a few.

Mark 8:34  When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
v. 35  For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.

Gal 2:20  I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Col 3:2  Keep your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth.
v. 3  For you have died, and your life has been safely guarded by the Messiah in God.
v. 4  When the Messiah, who is your life, is revealed, then you, too, will be revealed with Him in glory.
v. 5  So put to death your worldly impulses: sexual sin, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry).
v. 6  It is because of these things that the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient.
v. 7  You used to behave like them as you lived among them.
v. 8  But now you must also get rid of anger, wrath, malice, slander, obscene speech, and all such sins.
v. 9  Do not lie to one another, for you have stripped off the old nature with its practices
v. 10  and have clothed yourselves with the new nature, which is being renewed in full knowledge, consistent with the image of the One who created it.
v. 11  In Him there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, or free person. Instead, the Messiah is all and in all.
v. 12  Therefore, as God's chosen ones, holy and loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.
v. 13  Be tolerant of one another and forgive each other if anyone has a complaint against another. Just as the Lord has forgiven you, you also should forgive.
v. 14  Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which ties everything together in unity.
v. 15  Let the peace of the Messiah also rule in your hearts, to which you were called in one body, and be thankful. (ISV)

John 3:30  He must increase, but I must decrease.

Gal 5:24  And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Gal 5:25  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Hope that helps.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Colin

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 12:05:15 AM »

Hello Everybody

After reading Alex’s post, in which he referred us to 1 Corinthians 9:24, I took a closer look at that section to see if it contains “more than meets the eye”.

Why, I asked myself, would Paul have written, aren’t you aware of how a race “works”?   What had he been addressing in the previous verses of his letter, which led up to this question?

Paul had been discussing his preaching and being remunerated for doing so.  (vv. 13,14).  He then asked in verse 18, “what was his reward” [Greek misthos = pay for service]?  Continuing, he tells us that he had “made himself a servant to all, so that he might gain the more”.

We can look back at what Ray did for many years, spending thousands of hours studying, praying for inspiration, giving bible studies and writing hundreds of articles for our benefit, whilst looking ahead to the benefitting of all who will be taught truths in the future.   

In this same letter to the Corinthians, Paul also said that not all have the same role as he had, for example.   Ray also covered this aspect.

1Cor 12:27  Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.     
28  And God hath set [Greek tithemi = placed] some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29  Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30  Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

That “more excellent way” is showing love, pursuing love towards others.     

Going back to Paul’s analogy of running a race, he wrote that only one wins and receives the “perishable garland”. (1Cor 9:24).  Paul encourages us ALL to run, with the end result of ALL being winners, of an immortal, undecaying “garland”.

1Cor 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown [Greek stephanos = wreath, garland]; but we an incorruptible [garland].

All of us, as we “run the race” of life have some opportunity to provide a level of love to others, to be of service…..in other words - be a servant, as Paul (following the example of Jesus) pictured himself, by helping physically when able, and giving encouragement. 

Matthew 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

None of us might ever have the opportunity or occasion to visit people literally incarcerated in prison.    However, people can be “imprisoned” by an incurable disease, which will take their life.   They cannot escape from that “prison”.  That is demonstrated to me as I carry out my volunteer duties with Hospice and Palliative Care and I accept that as being an opportunity for me to “visit those in prison”.

All who have “done good deeds” can look forward to being rewarded.    That includes all of humanity.

1Cor 3:13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
3:14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward  [Greek misthos].

If we have works which demonstrate our desire to “run our race” as best we can, to “do things unto Jesus” - then we can look forward to a victor’s wreath……a real, imperishable one.

Rev 2:10  Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown [Greek stephanos = wreath] of life.

We can claim to have "all the faith in the world"  - but what does James tell us?

Jas 2:14  What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Colin

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »

Hello Everybody

After reading Alex’s post, in which he referred us to 1 Corinthians 9:24, I took a closer look at that section to see if it contains “more than meets the eye”.

Why, I asked myself, would Paul have written, aren’t you aware of how a race “works”?   What had he been addressing in the previous verses of his letter, which led up to this question?

Paul had been discussing his preaching and being remunerated for doing so.  (vv. 13,14).  He then asked in verse 18, “what was his reward” [Greek misthos = pay for service]?  Continuing, he tells us that he had “made himself a servant to all, so that he might gain the more”.

We can look back at what Ray did for many years, spending thousands of hours studying, praying for inspiration, giving bible studies and writing hundreds of articles for our benefit, whilst looking ahead to the benefitting of all who will be taught truths in the future.   

In this same letter to the Corinthians, Paul also said that not all have the same role as he had, for example.   Ray also covered this aspect.

1Cor 12:27  Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.     
28  And God hath set [Greek tithemi = placed] some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
29  Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30  Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

That “more excellent way” is showing love, pursuing love towards others.     

Going back to Paul’s analogy of running a race, he wrote that only one wins and receives the “perishable garland”. (1Cor 9:24).  Paul encourages us ALL to run, with the end result of ALL being winners, of an immortal, undecaying “garland”.

1Cor 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown [Greek stephanos = wreath, garland]; but we an incorruptible [garland].

All of us, as we “run the race” of life have some opportunity to provide a level of love to others, to be of service…..in other words - be a servant, as Paul (following the example of Jesus) pictured himself, by helping physically when able, and giving encouragement. 

Matthew 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

None of us might ever have the opportunity or occasion to visit people literally incarcerated in prison.    However, people can be “imprisoned” by an incurable disease, which will take their life.   They cannot escape from that “prison”.  That is demonstrated to me as I carry out my volunteer duties with Hospice and Palliative Care and I accept that as being an opportunity for me to “visit those in prison”.

All who have “done good deeds” can look forward to being rewarded.    That includes all of humanity.

1Cor 3:13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
3:14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward  [Greek misthos].

If we have works which demonstrate our desire to “run our race” as best we can, to “do things unto Jesus” - then we can look forward to a victor’s wreath……a real, imperishable one.

Rev 2:10  Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown [Greek stephanos = wreath] of life.

We can claim to have "all the faith in the world"  - but what does James tell us?

Jas 2:14  What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Colin

Hi Colin,

You reference James so I have to ask, have you listened to ray's audio on, "Do James and Paul contradict?" As I feel it is very relevant to your post.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,9742.0.html

James was talking about good works and not our own work's of the flesh.

We can't earn our way into the kingdom.

The problem lies in the heart of man and his carnal mind.

We who believe do enter into His rest and cease from our own works. From our own filthy rags.

His Holy Spirit works in us to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance.

Titus 2:11-13
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

But what are these fruits? Christ also said, 'you will always have the poor with you.' And

Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Here then are your 'good works,' your good fruits,

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Ephesians 5:8-10
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

It is God who justifies, not man.

Romans 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

God bless,
Alex

rick

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 01:24:50 AM »

Hello J from k and Kat,

Thank you both for your input, much appreciated. John, Your right , over thinking is probably not a good thing to do and as you said it's all up to Jesus anyways.

Kat, the scriptures you put up help me out because in reading them I saw something I haven't see before.

I know this must sound crazy but I  feel I been living in what I call spritual limbo because I don't know if it's me doing it or Christ yet when I look back at myself I see change in my thinking process .

I keep thinking maybe I should go out on the limb and just trust whatever it is I'm doing must be of God seeing where all is of God, sure it is , it's His creation not mine , I must be doing what it is He wants me to do but because God is spirit I can't detect Him, He comes and goes but I don't know but He changes me.

My life seems crazy but who's life isn't , sometimes I feel like I'm in that movie the matrixs or something like that.

It all seems kinda freaky to me being born into life learning there is a creator but does not show Himself to anyone , we go through all this pain and suffering but I've had good things in my life too and then we die and will be raised back to life almost sounds like a fairy tale story but one I believe will happen, like Ray said first the physical  then the spiritual.

Thanks again J from k and Kat.

God bless.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »

Just an observation:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Though a few of those can refer also to an "attitude" or even a "feeling", every one of those aspects of the fruit of the Spirit is something one does, or describes a way or inner-manner in which something is done.  Save me from "salvation" that doesn't include GOOD works--genuinely, honestly, un-ostentationously, done with all of the above.

Rick, if you can do ANYTHING at all that follows that broad description, I'm confident you will know "who" is doing the work and you'll be just a little bit less confused. 

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:52:54 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

rick

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 03:07:27 AM »

Just an observation:

Though a few of those can refer also to an "attitude" or even a "feeling", every one of those aspects of the fruit of the Spirit is something one does, or describes a way or inner-manner in which something is done.  Save me from "salvation" that doesn't include GOOD works--genuinely, honestly, un-ostentationously, done with all of the above.

Rick, if you can do ANYTHING at all that follows that broad description, I'm confident you will know "who" is doing the work and you'll be just a little bit less confused. 

Hi Dave,

You said it's just and observation but I say it's a great observation , I'm thankful you mentioned the things you did because I see something in what you said that gives me the assurence I was looking for.

I now understand why I'm going through all these crazy things in my life that are constant  with no relief in site, I don't say what these things I'm going through are and they are many things all at the same time but these things do instill long suffering , patience and with patience gentleness and with gentleness love and with love forgiveness .

I now understand why God is doing all these things to me , I am running the race and didn't  realize it because it's truly all one.

Thank you Dave and God bless.

Chris

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »

It's best not to overthink or get bent out of shape over salvation.

God will save everyone, each at their appointed time.

Jesus is the chosen One who will bring about the salvation of all.  Nothing for us to worry about.

Good insight John, thank you 

Colin

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 01:11:04 AM »

Thank you Alex, it IS very relevant.   I have re-read the complete transcript and found that what I wrote fits in with this bible study, which Ray did.   

Alex, you inserted a short piece from Ray’s study, with the comment about “our own works being filthy rags”; I studied what Ray said at that stage of his presentation…..   

Quote from Do James and Paul Contradict  Bible Study July 1, 2007:
                                            FAITH ALONE - NEEDS NO GOOD WORKS

[Comment from someone in audience:  Well if it says ‘faith alone,’ it gets them out of works.]  Well yeah, there you go, it gets you out of works.  Now not only does it get you out of good works, but it actually pardons you for bad works.  Because it’s “faith alone”. 

We who believe do enter into His rest and cease from our own works.   From our own filthy rags.     His Holy Spirit works in us to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance.     
Now we are going to see what James talks about, when he talks about works, not works of the law.  We are going to see what he talks about and see if he is talking about these days and times and circumcisions and washings and cups and eating and “touch not” and this endless array of laws that Israel had to do. 

GOOD WORKS

Before I go to James I want a little bit yet on Paul.

Rom 13:8  Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
v. 9  For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
v. 10  Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
v. 11  And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Paul says “love is the fulfilling the law.”  Does that sound like, “how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements”?  He says love is the fulfilling of the law, now [the other] that would be a contradiction, wouldn’t it.  These weak and beggarly elements of the law is not what is meant by love, where it is the fulfilling of the law.  You can’t love somebody by keeping new moons and Sabbath days and holy days and different seasons.  You can’t really show love towards somebody by … ‘well I’m physically circumcised, would you like to see, would you like to see my good works.’  I mean come on, it’s gross.  GOOD WORKS are never referred to as “works of the law.”

1Tim 2:10  But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

He talks about women that they should have good works.  No one is going to be justified… but it says the women, with good works.  But he doesn’t say good works of the law, does he… “good works.”  He says what those good works are:-   take care of your home, take care of your children, be a good example to the younger women, don’t be a busybody, don’t be a tattle-tale.  These are all good things that a woman should do.

1Tim 6:18  That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

2Tim 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Titus 1:16  They profess that they know God…

Okay this is a strong admonition.

v. 16 …but in works they deny Him…

He doesn’t say in works of the law did he?  What kind of works is he talking about?  Good works.  Works of the law?  No.  Good works.

v. 16 …being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

How in the world can these theologians believe that the Apostle Paul did not believe in good works and that it wasn’t a necessary part of the Christian life?    Just faith alone, just believe [they say]. 

If you don’t have good works, he says you are abominable and a reprobate.  That’s pretty strong.
End of quote.

As I proceeded through Ray’s study, I came to   Quote

Titus 2:7  In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works:

Titus 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Titus 3:14  And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.     End of quote.

Then in the next section explaining about “whose faith”, Ray wrote Quote:-                                                   
Here it is, here we get to bring it on down.  It’s “not of works,” it’s of FAITH.  But it’s not your own faith, it’s this gift of God faith and this gift of God grace.  That’s how you’re saved, not by your works.  Not by works, because that is something you do.  This faith and this grace, it’s not yours, it comes from God.  It a gift, that’s not yours; it’s God’s, but He gives it to you.  That’s what is going to save you, not your own works.  Your own works will not save you, it takes this gift of grace, gratuitous, free, favour, love from God and the faith of God as a gift to you.  That’s going to save you, not your good works, lest you boast. 

v. 9  …lest any man should boast.
What kind of workmanship?        v. 10  …created in Christ Jesus unto good works…

Now are good works absolutely essential to this thing called salvation?  Absolutely, you just have to get it straight in your mind.  It’s not your faith, it’s Christ’s faith, it’s God’s faith.  It’s not your grace, it’s God’s grace.  It’s not your works, it’s GOD’S works in you.  Do you see it?  It’s God’s works in you.

v. 10  …which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

This is ordained, it’s got to be.  This is not like, ‘well it’s nice if you have some, but it’s okay if you don’t, because you’re saved by faith alone.’  No, this is essential.  Do you see how he brings faith and works together?  They are both essential, they just come from God.     End of quote.

Further on, Quote:
DID JESUS CHRIST HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT "GOOD WORKS?"

Two other important Scriptures.  Did Jesus Christ have anything to say about good works or was He one of these faith and grace people like Paul supposedly was ?.

Mat 5:15  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
v. 16  Let your light so shine before men…

Now He is talking to His Apostles - this is the Sermon on the Mount; if you read my last instalment you know that the Sermon on the Mount is for us.  This is for us, His disciples.

v. 16 … that they may see your good works…

Works of the law?  It didn’t say works of the law, it said “good works.”

v. 16  …and glorify your Father which is in heaven.    End of Quote.

Thank you for drawing our attention to that Bible Study, Alex.   It has refreshed and consolidated many of the thoughts which I had, but I may not have expressed them sufficiently clearly or detailed.    There are many valuable points in it, to aid us in our “race”.    We can certainly gain much from studying this entire Bible Study. 

Colin

rick

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 02:30:04 AM »

It seems to me that because we are saved by grace through faith and it's all one thing then good works would follow because it's all of God.

What are good works anyways ? Could it be just giving someone a bottle of water if they ask ? Or maybe a cheeseburger?

I wonder if good works is and attitude of the heart ? After all one could give begrudgingly, what good is that. It all goes together, you can't have one without the other.

But God made sure we have it all.

God bless.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »

Yes it is a very powerful study Colin and it was very good for me to read those quotes again. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad it was edifying for both of us, and I'm sure the others.

God bless,
Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.