bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will we always be confined to the earth ?  (Read 7614 times)

rick

Will we always be confined to the earth ?
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »

The universe we live in is spectacular and beautiful, just looking up in the night sky puts me in awe especially where the light pollution is limited.

I wonder sometimes when I'm pure spirit and this earthly body has been shed if it will be permissible to tour the heavens and investigate the wonders God had created or will we be confined to the earth for all ages.

But we who are of the elect status will be caught up in the clouds with Christ but will we be able to travel to the ends of the universe and investigate all of Gods creation ?

Just wondering.

God bless.

God bless.

Doug

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Will we always be confined to the earth ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Being a homebody the earth would be all the room to explore I would need and then some. However, suspect God would allow us to explore the universe.

rick

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:17:05 PM »

This is a subject which I'm unfamiliar with but even investigating the earth after a few ages what would be left to see, lol that's when I would take off for the stars.

There are many places on the earth I would like to go to but can't afford too, lol it's costly to travel.

I do hope your suspicions are correct though.

God bless.

indianabob

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:04 PM »

Hi friends,

Touring the Universe sounds like fun, just imagine moving at the speed of thought, but I think we will first have a ton of specific assignments to complete as we are working to assist our Lord Jesus with the teaching of righteousness to all of the BILLIONS who died having no idea of their future in God's family. That work in itself will be so thrilling and satisfying that it may be a while before we need or desire a vacation.

In any case our lives will be one new day after another as we serve our creator and His purposes.

Indiana Bob

rick

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

Brother Bob,

Are you insinuating all work no play in the next age ? 

God bless.

Kat

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »

Hi Rick, here's a little different way to think about it. Right now we can only think of things that we know, we only have a tiny little glimpse of the heavenly realm... will we even need to 'space travel' around the universe? Would spirit beings actually need to 'travel/move' from place to place like the physical locomotion we have now?

This universe is so tremendously vast, I'm trying to think how you could actually go/travel around and view it. I mean the pictures we see on the universe shows are made so that we see vast pieces of the universe condensed into visible sections, with a whole galaxy (even many galaxies) in range of sight. The universe is so huge that at any point you can only see another planet as little 'star.' And the tv shows make a rapid sequence of something that happens over billions of years down into a few seconds of real time to see the 'action.' I'm wondering how we'll think and see things differently from the spiritual realm?

As we have only existed in this physical realm now, certainly the grandeur of this universe is truly magnificent and awesome to us. But I wonder about the spiritual realm and it's even greater vastness, certainly it far far exceeds all this we know in the physical... maybe like comparing eternity (spiritual) to our lifetime (physical) now? If you see what I mean, there's a great difference. So what I'm trying to say is when we enter the heavenly domain that might redirect our focus entirely? Not that this universe will be any less glorious, but right now I think we have a hard time thinking beyond this physical realm. But when our minds are connected/united with God then we will know so much that we can't understand now.

The earth will always be our place of origin/beginning, but maybe we will 'see' it differently then and think of things differently as well? Not only will our situation, when in the spiritual realm be so greatly expanded, but when we join and become one with God, of course our knowledge will increase exponentially as well with our new spiritual state of being. Maybe we will even view/see the whole universe (without traveling anywhere) from our new perspective in the spiritual realm?

So what is this creation/universe from God's perspective? "In Him all things consist" (Col 1:17) and "for in Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28).

I think when Christ returns and the elect are "raised incorruptible" that will bring about an instantaneous reassessment of things in our minds and in that split second our way of thinking and seeing things will dramatic change... it's begun now, but oh so slightly. Certainly at first as servants to God there will be much to keep us busy in the salvation of the rest of humanity, but certainly in the spiritual realm there will be so very much beyond that...

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:41:09 PM by Kat »

indianabob

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »

Hi Rick,
Kat has a very good view of things and well stated. Thanks Kat.  :D

I am reminded that helping people to grow and heal and improve is really NOT work in the sense of something tiring or without its own reward.
Imagine being able to speak a word and heal a sick child. That will be thrilling and inspiring in and of itself. Jesus didn't let his work tire him too much and he was flesh and blood, while we will be spiritual when we do our work with Jesus and won't ever tire ever again. It will be all joy every minute.  :)

Indiana Bob

rick

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »

Hi Kat,

It's certainly true about our understanding being limited to the confines of our earthly experience and cannot say what will transpire in the spritual future with the exceptions of knowing we will reign with Christ.

I can only dream from this side of eternity and most likely not even be close to anything I could imagine .

Still nice to dream just the same and most likely what will be then by far shall make my dreams today a most laughable thing I once considered.

God bless.

Extol

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 09:41:01 PM »

Brother Bob,

Are you insinuating all work no play in the next age ? 

God bless.

Echoing what Bob said, I don't think it is going to be "work", at least not what we think of now when we say "work". I am more fortunate than most in that I get to be self-employed AND do something I enjoy. But as fun as my job is, I think it's only a small glimpse of how good the "work" in the next age will be. As fun as my job is, it's just to pay the bills (with the added benefit of making some people happy.) The work in the next age will be teaching people righteousness.

Think of some people you love (I was going to say people you don't like, but I think it's more thrilling to think of people you do like), and how you sometimes wish they could know and believe what we do. We've all had experiences with our parents, siblings, friends, spouses, former church acquaintances, etc. where we eagerly told them about these truths, only to be disappointed when they shut us down. There is coming a day when their hearts will be open. And it's not just these people we know and love; also your favorite actor and your favorite athlete, your favorite singer and the clerk at the corner market. They're going to learn too; nobody will be left out. And eventually, sorrows will be no more. That sounds more exciting and joyful than any work we can do in this life.

"Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end..." Isaiah 9:7

cheekie3

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:40:28 AM »

Rick -

The universe we live in is spectacular and beautiful, just looking up in the night sky puts me in awe especially where the light pollution is limited.

I wonder sometimes when I'm pure spirit and this earthly body has been shed if it will be permissible to tour the heavens and investigate the wonders God had created or will we be confined to the earth for all ages.

But we who are of the elect status will be caught up in the clouds with Christ but will we be able to travel to the ends of the universe and investigate all of Gods creation ?

Just wondering.

God bless.

God bless.

I too have wondered about the vastness of our universe; and if The Elect are to rule on the Earth - what about the rest of the universe.

I know that Ray stated that the Scriptures and true science are in agreement with regards the Creation in Genesis, and taught on the age of the Earth; and Ray mentioned 'meteors' and 'impact craters' - and the ever expanding universe.

I know that the meaning of words may change over time; and it is difficult translating to English from the Hebrew and ancient Greek Scriptures - but I cannot find anything that describes the universe in the Scriptures.

Although the Scriptures are not a science book, I have researched them in order to ascertain how vast His Creation is; and I struggled to find much.

I know there are references in Job; but I am not sure they are specifically about the vastness of space.

I cannot find the word 'universe' in the older translations of The Bible - and invariably the newer versions use 'universe' instead of 'heavens' or 'highest'.

I cannot find 'planets' in The Scriptures - as only The Earth, Sun, Moon and the Stars are mentioned.

I tried to find any Scriptural references to any 'meteors' crashing to the Earth, without success.

I looked at Scriptural references regarding the Sun being a ball of fire, without success.

Does anyone know of any Scriptures that describe our universe or space.

Kind Regards.

George.

Kat

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »

George it sounds like you are looking for proof in Scripture that this universe is what science says it is. Your looking for direct answers about physical things, but that is not what the Scripture is for... you can see the church reads it as literal and look what a confused mess they have.

The scripture is a spiritual book, I believe the Scripture is filled with knowledge about every conceivable thing, but  it's for spiritual knowledge and most of the answers are hidden in symbolism. So as long as you're trying to prove physical things in Scripture I think you will come up short. If you want to know about this creation look at science, it is God who has given man the capability to learn incredible things about this world at this time in history.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Extol

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »

Rick -

Just wondering.

God bless.

God bless.

I too have wondered about the vastness of our universe; and if The Elect are to rule on the Earth - what about the rest of the universe.

I know that Ray stated that the Scriptures and true science are in agreement with regards the Creation in Genesis, and taught on the age of the Earth; and Ray mentioned 'meteors' and 'impact craters' - and the ever expanding universe.

I know that the meaning of words may change over time; and it is difficult translating to English from the Hebrew and ancient Greek Scriptures - but I cannot find anything that describes the universe in the Scriptures.

Although the Scriptures are not a science book, I have researched them in order to ascertain how vast His Creation is; and I struggled to find much.

I know there are references in Job; but I am not sure they are specifically about the vastness of space.

I cannot find the word 'universe' in the older translations of The Bible - and invariably the newer versions use 'universe' instead of 'heavens' or 'highest'.

I cannot find 'planets' in The Scriptures - as only The Earth, Sun, Moon and the Stars are mentioned.

I tried to find any Scriptural references to any 'meteors' crashing to the Earth, without success.

I looked at Scriptural references regarding the Sun being a ball of fire, without success.

Kind Regards.

George.

Hi George,

This article has a little bit of information, but probably not as much as you're looking for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_astronomy

You're right that we can't be sure what the Hebrew and Greek names mean. Maybe the Star the Magi followed was Venus, but we don't know.

Ray rightly pointed out that the Bible does not contradict science, and hints at how some things work (Let the earth bring forth grass; spreading out the heavens, etc.) But it is not a science textbook. I think you're looking for too much if you want the Bible to explain that the sun is a ball of fire. The main purpose of the Bible is not to explain scientific facts. There's much more history than science in the Bible, but it's not a history book, either...it partly is, of course, but that's not the real reason we have it. This is why we have it: For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

I looked at a list of impact craters, and there were only six of them between Adam and Christ, none of them anywhere near where the Biblical writers were living. Ray talked about impact craters as evidence of the earth's age (most of them are far, far older than Adam), but I don't think there's any reason the Bible has to tell us about them. There's a lot it doesn't tell us, because it's neither a history nor a science book. As Ray once pointed out, we only have four pages that tell us about roughly two thousand years from Adam to Noah.

However, the Bible does tell us about how vast the universe is:

Isaiah 55:9--As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Psalm 103:11--For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;

cheekie3

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »

Extol -

Rick -

Just wondering.

God bless.

God bless.

Kind Regards.

George.

Hi George,

This article has a little bit of information, but probably not as much as you're looking for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_astronomy

You're right that we can't be sure what the Hebrew and Greek names mean. Maybe the Star the Magi followed was Venus, but we don't know.

Ray rightly pointed out that the Bible does not contradict science, and hints at how some things work (Let the earth bring forth grass; spreading out the heavens, etc.) But it is not a science textbook. I think you're looking for too much if you want the Bible to explain that the sun is a ball of fire. The main purpose of the Bible is not to explain scientific facts. There's much more history than science in the Bible, but it's not a history book, either...it partly is, of course, but that's not the real reason we have it. This is why we have it: For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

I looked at a list of impact craters, and there were only six of them between Adam and Christ, none of them anywhere near where the Biblical writers were living. Ray talked about impact craters as evidence of the earth's age (most of them are far, far older than Adam), but I don't think there's any reason the Bible has to tell us about them. There's a lot it doesn't tell us, because it's neither a history nor a science book. As Ray once pointed out, we only have four pages that tell us about roughly two thousand years from Adam to Noah.

However, the Bible does tell us about how vast the universe is:

Isaiah 55:9--As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Psalm 103:11--For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;

Thank you for your post; and the link.

Kind Regards.

George.

lostANDfound

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »

If we were to compare our physical body to a rock and our future spiritual body to love, maybe that would help us understand how we will someday perceive the physical universe.  We will see (know) all creation as it is, a cosmic song of praise to the almighty creator.  The physical beauty of galaxies will be inconsequential in light of the spiritual beauty of how it shouts His name.  My thoughts, anyway.
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

lostANDfound

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »

Just like the physical beauty of people won't light up all those pleasure centres in our brains anymore, the spiritual beauty will.  And that will always be enormously paled by Gods spiritual beauty.  We'll finally be able to see how everything points to His glory without being distracted by pretty lights and baubles. Again, this is how I see it, don't ask for a verse on that!

Abednego

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »

1 CORINTHIANS 2:9

I have my own ideas what it will be like, but I know once I have the experience it won't be anything like what I was thinking.
Dan 3:17  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

lostANDfound

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »

I like the verse after that too.
1Co 2:9  But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Yay I figured out how to copy and paste on this phone!    ;D

Abednego

• NewPoster Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »

I like the verse after that too.
1Co 2:9  But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Yay I figured out how to copy and paste on this phone!    ;D

I often wondered about that. Why were those scriptures put together? To me it's like mixing oil and water. You get something like that in your spirt good luck explaining it to anyone. The  flesh won't understand the things of God. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I wish Ray did a study on 2 Cor chapter 12. There's so much more meat there than the worldly church realizes, and I think a lot is still locked away for a time yet to come.
Dan 3:17  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.

jingle52

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:41:03 AM »

I completely relate to this interesting thread and the responses. I too am in awe, wonder and curiosity about the next millenium and what it entails for us.... or those who are truly elected. Happy are they!

Jingle
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.