bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Make disciples  (Read 11337 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Make disciples
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »

What should making disciples look like today?

Matt 28:19
"19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

lilitalienboi16

Re: Make disciples
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »

"19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Spurious Passage, not authentic, the making disciples part nor baptizing in name of the trinity--Father, Son, holy spirit.

Do you have a second witness?
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lareli

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

Spurious Passage, not authentic, the making disciples part nor baptizing in name of the trinity--Father, Son, holy spirit.

No not off the top of my head I can't think of a second passage.. But since you said this passage is not authentic, I take it you don't believe there is a second passage?

So what does it mean when there's not a second witness? Does that mean it's not true or that it should be taken out or disregarded?

I'm not clear on what the whole second witness thing means.. I always thought that was in reference to when one person accuses another person and the judge should not condemn a person based on just one persons testimony..  isn't the bible filled with statements that are not necessarily repeated again? One gospel says that both men on the crosses next to Christ hurled insults at Him.. Not only is there not a second witness to this (to my knowledge) but there is a witness that says one of the men on the cross next to Him asked Him to remember him. As far as I know there aren't second witnesses to these so should we not accept either of these as truth?

lareli

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »

Is it one of the deceptions of the church to teach that everything in the bible is true?

Extol

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 06:44:48 PM »

Largeli,

Ray taught that "two or three witnesses" are necessary regarding doctrinal truths, not factual or historical statements. Sure, we could find lots of things mentioned only once, like Shamgar killing 600 Philistines with an ox goad (Judges 3:31). (We could find spiritual parallels, but that's a different topic.)

The basic truths that Ray taught--denied by Christendom--often have far more than two or three witnesses. You could probably name a handful of verses declaring the sovereignty of God and the salvation of all without even looking them up. On the other hand, doctrines refuted by Ray--Christ was sin, tithing to church, free will, eternal punishment, etc.--do NOT have two or three witnesses.

It's important to understand this verse (Matt. 28:19) is spurious because it teaches one of the major false doctrines of Christendom. Most Bibles appear to  have two witnesses for the Trinity: Matt. 28:19 and 1 John 5:7. But they are both spurious.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »

No not off the top of my head I can't think of a second passage.. But since you said this passage is not authentic, I take it you don't believe there is a second passage?

So what does it mean when there's not a second witness? Does that mean it's not true or that it should be taken out or disregarded?

I'm not clear on what the whole second witness thing means.. I always thought that was in reference to when one person accuses another person and the judge should not condemn a person based on just one persons testimony..  isn't the bible filled with statements that are not necessarily repeated again? One gospel says that both men on the crosses next to Christ hurled insults at Him.. Not only is there not a second witness to this (to my knowledge) but there is a witness that says one of the men on the cross next to Him asked Him to remember him. As far as I know there aren't second witnesses to these so should we not accept either of these as truth?

Hi Largeli,

Jesse provided some good information. Here are the scriptures regarding the witnesses;

2 Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture at all is becoming its own explanation.

1 Corinthians 2:12-15 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word (doctrine) may be established.

2 Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

The scriptures are the witnesses because they are who testify of God and in their multitude their is safety!

Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Proverbs 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Every word and doctrine we believe is testified to by the cloud of witnesses, the multitude of counselors, the two anointed ones who stand before the Lord of all the earth. It must be or it is not truth.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Zechariah 4:11-14
11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof?
12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves?
13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

Jesus' words are spirit and to understand spirit you need to compare spiritual with spiritual. And to compare something with something else you need those two witnesses.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Lastly, what you establish as doctrine cannot contradict the other truths of scripture (established in the mouth of two or three witnesses) because the Sum of God's Word is truth.

Psa 119:160  The sum of thy word is truth; And every one of thy righteous ordinances endureth for ever.

In regards to your Matthew post. There is good evidence Matthew was originally written in Hebrew even though the oldest intact copies we have left are greek. There are many early christian's who are quoted as referencing this original hebrew work by the apostle Matthew.

Its likely that Matthew 28:19 was inserted along with some of the other verses regarding the trinity in a translation of the original hebrew to greek early on. The earliest copy of the hebrew matthew we have dates around 1300 BC but in it, this specific verse, does not contain the 'making of disciples' nor the trinity reference. The problem with this hebrew copy is we can't prove its a copy of the original hebrew gospel of matthew the apostle wrote though some scholars believe this to be true for good reason. All the greek versions, to my knowledge, contain the verse you cited as you quoted it so it won't appear as spurious by Professor Tindall in his work of spurious passages.

The closest witness I can think of to the one in Matthew is probably much more like what the original apostle had penned himself;

Mark 16:15-16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

God bless,
Alex

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:44:59 PM by lilitalienboi16 »
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Kat

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »

Hi largeli,  the list of spurious passages, sentences, and words that we have posted here compiled by Tischendorf, are based on his careful and analytical study of the Sinaitic manuscript (the earliest complete copy of the New Testament) and the Vatican #1209. http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6638.0.html

This is a major aspect of understanding that Ray taught and we can see what does not have real validity or authenticity in translated Bibles from the original manuscripts. So with those passages being shown to be questionable to say the least, we can come to a more accurate understanding of truth, as Scriptural truth is built one Scripture upon another, a falsehood will just not fit.

As we all have seen in the church one Scripture can be manipulated and twisted to derive a meaning from it. But when you have a second or more Scripture witnesses and perspectives for a truth it makes it much more difficult to give a false meaning to it. The more Scripture you have on a subject the better.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11521.0.html --------

The great thing is, if what you are studying you believe to be the truth, then it is going to PROVE to be the truth. The more you study, it is going to prove to be the truth. I’ve been doing that with several subjects and no matter what direction I go, no matter where I go or how I go about it, what I knew to be the truth last year or five years ago, it’s still the truth.
v
If something is really true, now it doesn’t matter if you know it’s true or not. If it is really is true, then the more you study, the more you look, the more you examine, the deeper you go, if that subject really is true, what you discover will add credence to the fact that it is truth. If it is not true, if it’s false, then the more you study the more you look, the more detailed you go, the deeper you go, the more evidence you have that it’s not true.
v
2Tim 3:16  All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

When you read and study the Scriptures APPLY THEM ALL TO YOURSELF for either “doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”
v
Rom 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
v. 18  For he that in these things serves Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
v. 19  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

How well do you read and study God Word?

2 Timothy 2:15 Study (that means put forth effort, to be prompt, to be earnest, to be diligent, to endeavor to study, to labor) to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Therefore, we should be doing right, not just to avoid wrath or to receive a reward, but rather because doing good to others IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
v
If you read your Bible daily and study them thoroughly and follow and do what it admonishes… think on these things… meditate on God’s laws… God’s ways… forgive everyone and love everyone.  Follow and do these instructions everyday for the rest of your lives and you will BECOME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT! You will be ready to take on responsibilities in God’s Kingdom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:59:49 PM by Kat »

indianabob

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:03:36 PM »

Hi Alex,
Very helpful commentary.
Did you mean to say that Matthew dated to 1300 BC?

The earliest copy of the hebrew matthew we have dates around 1300 BC but in it,...

Indiana bob

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »

Hi Alex,
Very helpful commentary.

The earliest copy of the hebrew matthew we have dates around 1300 BC but in it,...

Indiana bob

Hi Bob,

Matthew greek copies earliest dating i think are ~50-150AD. You'd have to google though the exact date. What i was saying though is the original language matthew wrote his gospel in was in hebrew and then translated to greek based on it and that's the earliest we have now is the greek translations. However there exists a copy of the hebrew but tthat earliest copy dates ~1300-1400 and so the greek versions go back further even though it seems the very first gospel matthew penned was in hebrew. So this hebrew copy could be argued to be translated from the greek and not a copy of the original passed down through the centuries but like I said there is evidence it may be a copy of the hebrew and not a translation from the greek, case and point being how this hebrew version lacks the reference to making disiciples and the trinity which all the greek versions appear to have.

Hopefully that makes sense. There is ample evidence to suggest matthew wrote his gospel in hebrew including from jerome himself who translated the greek to latin ~350AD.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »

I found these quotes by early christians in regard to Matthews gospel and this topic.

apias (150-170 CE) – Matthew composed the words in the Hebrew dialect, and each translated as he was able. [A quote by Eusebius; Eccl. Hist. 3:39]

Ireneus (170 CE) – Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect. [Against Heresies 3:1]

Origen (210 CE) – The first [Gospel] is written according to Matthew, the same that was once a tax collector, but afterwards an apostle of Jesus Christ who having published it for the Jewish believers, wrote it in Hebrew. [A quote by Eusebius; Eccl. Hist. 6:25]

Eusebius (315 CE) – Matthew also, having first proclaimed the Gospel in Hebrew, when on the point of going also to the other nations, committed it to writing in his native tongue, and thus supplied the want of his presence to them by his writings. [Eccl. Hist. 3:24]

Epiphanius (370 CE) – They [The Nazarenes] have the Gospel according to Matthew quite complete in Hebrew, for this Gospel is certainly still preserved among them as it was first written, in Hebrew letters. [Panarion 29:9:4]

Jerome ( 382 CE) – Matthew, who is also Levi, and from a tax collector came to be an Apostle first of all evangelists composed a Gospel of Christ in Judea in the Hebrew language and letters, for the benefit of those of the circumcision who had believed, who translated it into Greek is not sufficiently ascertained. Furthermore, the Hebrew itself is preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr Pamphilus so diligently collected. I also was allowed by the Nazarenes who use this volume in the Syrian city of Borea to copy it. In which is to be remarked that, wherever the evangelist…. makes use of the testimonies of the Old Scripture, he does not follow the authority of the seventy translators, but that of the Hebrew. [Lives of Illustrious Men, Book 5] [1]

Not sure if these quotes are allowed so mods if i'm overstepping the bounds feel free to remove them.

God bless,
Alex

indianabob

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 01:24:10 AM »

Hi Alex,
Regarding your comments below. Am I also to understand that the Scrolls used in the Temple and in synagogues in Jerusalem were in the same Hebrew script? If so it would seem possible (?) that Matthew would want to have his letter fit into the dialect used by folks who regularly attend Sabbath services to read from those scrolls as Jesus is reported to have done. Or was another language used by ordinary folks in Jerusalem?

Bob

Hi Alex,
Very helpful commentary.

Indiana bob

Hi Bob,

Matthew greek copies earliest dating i think are ~50-150AD. You'd have to google though the exact date. What i was saying though is the original language matthew wrote his gospel in was in hebrew and then translated to greek based on it and that's the earliest we have now is the greek translations. However there exists a copy of the hebrew but tthat earliest copy dates ~1300-1400 and so the greek versions go back further even though it seems the very first gospel matthew penned was in hebrew. So this hebrew copy could be argued to be translated from the greek and not a copy of the original passed down through the centuries but like I said there is evidence it may be a copy of the hebrew and not a translation from the greek, case and point being how this hebrew version lacks the reference to making disiciples and the trinity which all the greek versions appear to have.

Hopefully that makes sense. There is ample evidence to suggest matthew wrote his gospel in hebrew including from jerome himself who translated the greek to latin ~350AD.

Kat

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »

I did not realize that Alex was using a rather obscure means to discredit that verse. So going back to your original question.

There is a huge difference in what it was like for the Apostles in that first century and what it is like for us now. For one thing the church has went into the whole world and has made disciples in all nations... 1/3 of the world's population is Christian. They are the called, they believe that God sent His Son in the flesh and the gospel message, in a literal sense of course, but the world does know about Christ Jesus through them. The Apostles started that off and the church continues that to this day and we were once a part of the church.

Now the called are where God draws out His chosen from, that is where we find ourselves now and I do not believe 'we' need to be concerned with making disciples of the nations. That's my thinking anyway.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lareli

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »

Thank you Alex and others for taking the time and offering up such well researched answers and scriptures.

Alex you mentioned the cloud of witnesses.. So the cloud of witnesses is not talking about saints who have died before us and watch our lives here on earth. That is what I heard the church teach but even now as I type it I realize that it's not correct because the dead are dead and not consciously watching and witnessing us here... But the cloud of witnesses is talking about many scriptures that confirm truths? Am I understanding that right? Also the scriptures that talk about 'many counsellors' isn't necessarily talking about having many human teachers or pastors, but 'many counsellors' like the 'cloud of witnesses' is referring to many scriptures that confirm bible truths?

Am I way off here?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »

I did not realize that Alex was using a rather obscure means to discredit that verse. So going back to your original question.

There is a huge difference in what it was like for the Apostles in that first century and what it is like for us now. For one thing the church has went into the whole world and has made disciples in all nations... 1/3 of the world's population is Christian. They are the called, they believe that God sent His Son in the flesh and the gospel message, in a literal sense of course, but the world does know about Christ Jesus through them. The Apostles started that off and the church continues that to this day and we were once a part of the church.

Now the called are where God draws out His chosen from, that is where we find ourselves now and I do not believe 'we' need to be concerned with making disciples of the nations. That's my thinking anyway.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hi Kat,

I believe your thinking is completely reasonable. I think there are many ways to approach this. You'll have to excuse my angle of approach. I simply chose to approach the topic from a matter of authenticity. Since the spurious passages list does not list Matthew 28:19 as spurious, then it must be authentic, correct? Well not necessarily and that's what I was getting at. Apologies if it caused some confusion.

God bless,
Alex

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »

Dear Bob,

I'm not sure I completely understand your asking but to my knowledge both greek and hebrew were the language of the jews (the ordinary folk) in jerusalem at the time of our Lord and shortly there after before its destruction in 70AD. It would make sense then that matthew chose hebrew to address the jews when writting his gospel.

Dear Largeli,

I think there are many facets to scripture which are true so long as one doesn't contradict the sum of God's Word and can establish it in the mouth of two or three witnesses.

If you read Hebrew 12:1, and the chapter before, you'll see the author is referring to the patriachs of old as the 'cloud of witness.' But let me ask, where does learn and hear about the lives of these patriarchs and their testimony? Where do we get our understanding, by the grace of God, of these witnesses? In the Word of God--The Scriptures!

The Word of God, The scriptures, they which testify of God, who stand before the Lord of all the earth, they are the witnesses and God has given them great power.

So I don't think you misunderstood me at all.

God bless,
Alex
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:53:30 PM by lilitalienboi16 »

John from Kentucky

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:02 AM »

All religions are false in this present age, especially the Christian religion.

The Christian Church is ruled by Satan and all their members are disciples of Satan.

They do not teach any truth, no not one.  As Ray correctly taught, they do not even believe that Jesus died for their sins because they do not believe that Jesus actually died.  All their major doctrines------heaven, hell, immortal soul, God is a trinity, salvation of only a few, salvation by good works, free will-----all their teachings are false.

This worldwide, false religious/political system is coming down and will cease to exist.  The Great God will bring it to pass.  "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the LORD Almighty."

santgem

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:08 AM »

I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?' Luk 18:8

I do believe that making  disciples today is deceptive, i mean misleading.

Yes is true, that mostly all religions of today is governed by Satan, and the One and True God the Father and Jesus is a total failure!

Joel

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »

Ray explains a lot about this subject under the topic, Winning souls for Jesus?

Joel

lareli

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

All religions are false in this present age, especially the Christian religion.

The Christian Church is ruled by Satan and all their members are disciples of Satan.

They do not teach any truth, no not one.  As Ray correctly taught, they do not even believe that Jesus died for their sins because they do not believe that Jesus actually died.  All their major doctrines------heaven, hell, immortal soul, God is a trinity, salvation of only a few, salvation by good works, free will-----all their teachings are false.

This worldwide, false religious/political system is coming down and will cease to exist.  The Great God will bring it to pass.  "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit says the LORD Almighty."

Can you show where Ray wrote that the church does "not teach any truth. No not one."?

Reason I ask is because I seem to recall reading or maybe hearing an audio where Ray said something to the effect of..

Not everything the church teaches is bad... There are some truths taught in the church but it's mixed with error or deception which can be more harmful than just teaching total error or deception.

That's not a quote. But I do recall reading something Ray wrote to this effect.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:38:12 PM by largeli »

Kat

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »

I say to you, that He will execute the justice to them quickly; but the Son of Man having come, shall he find the faith upon the earth?' Luk 18:8

I do believe that making  disciples today is deceptive, i mean misleading.

Yes is true, that mostly all religions of today is governed by Satan, and the One and True God the Father and Jesus is a total failure!

Everything is going exactly according to His plan.

http://bible-truths.com/lake10.html -------------------------------

NOTHING HAS EVER GONE AGAINST GOD’S PLAN OR INTENTION

No thing, and no body, in the entirety of the universe has ever gone against God’s "intention" or His preordained "plan," even when God Himself has caused many to go against His stated "will." God’s will is going to be completely realized at the consummation of all His intentions and plan (will and intention are not one and the same.) It is God’s intention that men go against His will. So what may appear to be a failure in God’s dealing with mankind is nothing of the kind. All that happens was intended to happen, and all that does not happen was not intended to happen. Here is wisdom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another point is that even though the church has no spiritual understanding, we are 'called' by God into the church, and it is in the church that we have our "first love" of God. But then we leave that love and fall into deception... everybody in the church will remain in this condition until God draws us to Him and gives us His Holy Spirit.

Titus 3:3  For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.
v. 4  But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
v. 5  not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

http://bible-truths.com/lake13.html ---------------------------------

Whenever someone is called of God and he repents, is baptized, confirmed, initiated, or whatever, it is into a church. And sooner or later that particular church will bring you to the point where you will leave your first love for God and turn to the church and its religion as the idol of your heart.
v
"Unto the angel of the church of EPHESUS write… I have somewhat [‘somewhat’ is not in the Greek texts] …I have against you, because you have LEFT YOUR FIRST LOVE" (Rev. 2:1 & 4).

Is Jesus accusing the whole church at Ephesus of leaving their first love, if in reality, there were only a few? But there were NOT just a few—the WHOLE CHURCH of Ephesus "left their first love." And furthermore, since the Seven Churches are ONE CHURCH, THE WHOLE CHURCH left their first love! Believe it or not, leaving one’s first love, is part of the process of "going on to perfection" (Heb. 6:1).
v
Seven times Jesus says to the Seven Churches who had LEFT THEIR FIRST LOVE; that they should "REPENT!"

And so after we repent of leaving our first love, and all the sin and corruption that goes along with it, what are we to do? Why we begin building our spiritual house upon The ROCK of Jesus Christ—the FOUNDATION of Jesus Christ, of course.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:12:02 PM by Kat »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.