bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teachers, prophets, etc.  (Read 6171 times)

lareli

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Teachers, prophets, etc.
« on: July 13, 2016, 05:19:08 PM »

Ray was a teacher right?

Was he the only one? I would think not so where are the others? Where are the prophets etc?
I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

John from Kentucky

Re: Teachers, prophets, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »

Jesus said, "And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ."  Mat 23:10 NKJV

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »

Jesus said, "And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ."  Mat 23:10 NKJV

Other translations prefer to use master, preceptor, leader, and director in Mat 23:10. Teacher is "figuratively."

John, what title would you use for Ray?

(ASV)  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your master, even the Christ.

(CLV)  Nor yet may you be called preceptors, for One is your Preceptor, the Christ."

(Diaglott-NT)  Neither be ye called leaders; one for of you is the leader, the Anointed.

(KJV)  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

(Rotherham)  Neither be called leaders, for, your leader, is one, the Christ;

(YLT)  nor may ye be called directors, for one is your director--the Christ.

καθηγητής
kathēgētēs
kath-ayg-ay-tace'
From a compound of G2596 and G2233; a guide, that is, (figuratively) a teacher: - master.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:05:08 PM »

Ray was a teacher right?

Was he the only one? I would think not so where are the others? Where are the prophets etc?

I believe that the prophets were used at a certain time in history for a certain purpose and obviously that is not needed at this time. But there certainly are other positions that are necessary for the body as God see fit to provide.

Eph 4:10  He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.) 11  And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12  for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13  till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;

Ray was very needful at this time and he was used to instruct us in so many truths and how we should use the Word of God to study. Now Ray was well prepared for the position that he had as a teacher and that seems to be a prerequisite of who God uses, because there is certainly "a stricter judgment" (James 3:1) for those that become teachers.

But we are not to sit back and only seek to be spoon fed the milk of the word either, as Paul admonished brethren that they should "be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2Tim 2:15), just as Ray did.

Heb 5:12  For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
v. 13  For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe.
v. 14  But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

I think the use of this forum is a very productive way for believers to come together and discuss these truths. This type of assembling together is a unique way to fellowship in the history of God's people... we are very blessed as God provides as He see fit.

mercy, peace and love
Kat
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:32:04 PM by Kat »

jingle52

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »

We should all thank our Heavenly Father and our Christ for using Ray as an instrument for teaching those of us who have been drawn here in one way or another to learn the Truths of His Word. Where would we be without this wonderful new-found and truthful knowledge? We would still be floundering in the church and listening to our pastors telling us half-truths and lies and thinking that everything was normal...
God our Father through Christ Jesus does work in mysterious ways, our mindsets have been changed, we seek to learn more and more of His Word, we seek to understand even more through the questions and discussions on the forum which are lively and interesting and very informative. We seek to better understand how to manage our hard trials given to us to teach us patience and to humble us, to strengthen our faith and trust in God, where do you learn this in the church?
My whole family are staunch church goers and all they think about is praying for prosperity and safety etc. They go to parties and drink beer and wine like there's no tomorrow and still they think it is normal, but didn't they just go to church the other day?  ???
With this new mindset that we have now, we question ourselves if we are doing the right thing, are we pleasing God our Father, are we living a godly life, we do have our weaknesses which leads us to repent and cry out to God for His mercy 
I know I have changed since being drawn to the teachings of Ray, yes I would call him a teacher as he, through God's spirit taught us the correct way of reading the Bible (The twelve God -given truths to understanding his Word) and countless more... and truthfully speaking, I personally have a long ways to go...
Ray was a physical man teaching in this physical world how to learn and apply the spiritual applications of the Word, he wasn't perfect, but man oh man, did he explain things which were nebulous to us...
Christ Jesus was born as a physical man and was given His Father's spirit without measure, teaching parables so that only those with ears to hear could understand them (healing and resurrecting the dead as well)
So to reiterate from my perspective, Ray was a teacher!
Sorry if I'm long winded and off course here, but Ray taught me/us a lot

Jingle

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »

Other translations prefer to use master, preceptor, leader, and director in Mat 23:10. Teacher is "figuratively."

John, what title would you use for Ray?

(ASV)  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your master, even the Christ.

(CLV)  Nor yet may you be called preceptors, for One is your Preceptor, the Christ."

(Diaglott-NT)  Neither be ye called leaders; one for of you is the leader, the Anointed.

(KJV)  Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

(Rotherham)  Neither be called leaders, for, your leader, is one, the Christ;

(YLT)  nor may ye be called directors, for one is your director--the Christ.

καθηγητής
kathēgētēs
kath-ayg-ay-tace'
From a compound of G2596 and G2233; a guide, that is, (figuratively) a teacher: - master.

Dennis,

In Strong's Concordance that Greek word is numbered G2519 and the definition is listed as a guide, a master, teacher, which is where, I assume, the translators of the New King James Version got the word "teacher".

You ask what title I would use for Ray?  I have no title for Ray.  I just call him Ray.  From what I know of Ray, a big word like "title" doesn't fit Ray.  Although, I may have called Ray a teacher in the past.  But no more since God has given me more understanding of this matter.  I am a big supporter of Ray.  God used him to restore many fundamental truths to God's true church.  But I clearly see God behind all of this.

Jesus alone is Savior, God, and King.  The Great Anointed One.  Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  Only Jesus is Master, Teacher, Leader, Overseer.  Jesus interacts with His Elect on a one on one basis.  No hierarchy unlike the Great False Church.  As it is written, "All will know Me from the least to the greatest".

Flanagan

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »

We all have to admit that Brother Ray is a teacher but a teacher only in that he points us towards learning what God's will is. It's only what's in the Bible that he draws our attention to. To me he's kinda like a compass pointing the way to the truth, only in God's word.
This forum gives us place put our heads together and sharpen our sword.  Thanks be to our Lord  :) 

Joel

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

In the Email to Ray area, page 14, Ray answered a woman's question, What are you? And at the end of his answer he said, "I call myself a teacher because I teach--nothing more."

I don't have any argument with his answer myself.

Joel

Kat

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »

The title teacher is simply an adjective, that describes what somebody is, Jesus certainly is the primary Teacher of us all, but Paul also referred to himself as a teacher and minister (1Tim 2:7; 2Tim 1:11), and that certainly did not supplant that Christ is our head.

This is from the 2009 Mobile Conference.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=11521.0 ----------

I pray for God to give me understanding. When I read the Bible or I’m studying somebody’s book or article, I’m not doing it for my health. I want to know! Since I’m a teacher, I have to know how to teach. Now I can’t teach something if I don’t believe it or I don’t know what I’m talking about.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the email Joel mentioned and one more.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=7992.0 ---------

I do not use religious titles, nor do I subscribe to creeds, statements of faith, and all such worldly things of the worldly churches. I do believe in what can be called "Universal Reconciliation" or the "Salvation of all." But there are numerous groups that I am well-acquainted with that believe in the universalism and the salvation of all, and yet, teach some of the most damnable heresy I have ever heard. I call myself a teacher because I teach--nothing more.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7725.0.html ------

Dear Ricardo: I have never met or heard of one. I call myself a "teacher." That's all. Actually it is Paul, not Jesus who mentioned these offices of ministry. Of course Paul also said that there would be a great falling away, so I guess it should not surprise us that these ministries are hard to find today.

God be with you,
        Ray
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:30:39 AM by Kat »

octoberose

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 04:35:48 AM »

I'd call Ray a light that shone and was not hidden - salt that did not lose it's saltiness - good soil to grow the seed of the Truth. 

dave

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 11:46:32 AM »

“A teacher is never a giver of truth; he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that each student must find for himself.” Bruce Lee

Sounds like L. Ray Smith to me.

cjwood

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »

In the Email to Ray area, page 14, Ray answered a woman's question, What are you? And at the end of his answer he said, "I call myself a teacher because I teach--nothing more."

I don't have any argument with his answer myself.

Joel

ditto. 
thanks for looking up and finding that email joel.

claudia

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.