bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parable of the Prodigal Son  (Read 4776 times)

Nelson Boils

Parable of the Prodigal Son
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »

Ray said that we are the prodigal son.

Luke 15:25 " In the meantime the older son was out in the field. On his way back, when he came close to the house, he heard the music and dancing.   So he called one of the servants and asked him, 'What's going on.'Your brother has come back home,' the servant answered, 'and your father has killed the prize calf, because he got him back safe and sound.  The older brother was so angry that he would not go into the house; so his father came out and begged him to come in. But he spoke back to his father, 'Look, all these years I have worked for you like a slave, and I have never disobeyed your orders. What have you given me? Not even a goat for me to have a feast with my friends! But this son of yours wasted all your property on prostitutes, and when he comes back home, you kill the prize calf for him!'  'My son,' the father answered, 'you are always here with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be happy, because your brother was dead, but now he is alive; he was lost, but now he has been found.' "

So my question is:  Who is the older son representing?  He is one unhappy chap.

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Parable of the Prodigal Son
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »

Ray said that we are the prodigal son.

Luke 15:25 " In the meantime the older son was out in the field. On his way back, when he came close to the house, he heard the music and dancing.   So he called one of the servants and asked him, 'What's going on.'Your brother has come back home,' the servant answered, 'and your father has killed the prize calf, because he got him back safe and sound.  The older brother was so angry that he would not go into the house; so his father came out and begged him to come in. But he spoke back to his father, 'Look, all these years I have worked for you like a slave, and I have never disobeyed your orders. What have you given me? Not even a goat for me to have a feast with my friends! But this son of yours wasted all your property on prostitutes, and when he comes back home, you kill the prize calf for him!'  'My son,' the father answered, 'you are always here with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be happy, because your brother was dead, but now he is alive; he was lost, but now he has been found.' "

So my question is:  Who is the older son representing?  He is one unhappy chap.

The older brother represents the nation of Israel that is in bondage to Agar.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »

The older brother is "... a Pharisee, and the other a publican.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican."  Luke 18:10,11

The older brother is "...Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.  Mat 7:22,23   

All of the parables concern the many called and few chosen.  Some stress *this* detail over *that* one, and some leave out detail that others provide, but all are *about* the same thing.  Out of this world, many are called.  Few are chosen.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »

The older brother is "... a Pharisee, and the other a publican.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican."  Luke 18:10,11

The older brother is "...Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.  Mat 7:22,23   

All of the parables concern the many called and few chosen.  Some stress *this* detail over *that* one, and some leave out detail that others provide, but all are *about* the same thing.  Out of this world, many are called.  Few are chosen.   

Agreed with this as well.
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »

Mat_13:11  He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat_13:12  For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

The older brother is the one to whom it is not given.

I'll stop there, because it is impractical to quote the entire Bible in forum posts.  :D   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Nelson Boils

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 03:48:32 AM »

Do you know what is confusing about this particular parable, the words "Child, you are ALWAYS with me, and all mine is yours." Luke 15:31.  Those are the words of the Father to the older son.

The older son, has ALWAYS been with his Father?

cheekie3

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:32:40 AM »

Job -

Do you know what is confusing about this particular parable, the words "Child, you are ALWAYS with me, and all mine is yours." Luke 15:31.  Those are the words of the Father to the older son.

That is an interesting point - as if the elder son was always with his father, you would have thought that he would have had the same attitude as his father.

He should have been happy that his brother had returned from the dead.

Perhaps, the older brother was being judgmental (as the Judge or Lawgiver), rather than forgiving in Grace - as only Our creator can make Law and Judge His Creation.

Thanks for Posting this.

Kind Regards.

George

Dave in Tenn

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »

IS always with him...not "always has been with him".  I don't know if that makes a difference, but wanted to point out a more accurate rendering.

What's interesting to me in that statement is that, despite the elder brother's professions, he still needs to repent. 

God give us eyes to see where we are in this parable, and in all of them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.