bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual Request  (Read 3094 times)

cheekie3

Unusual Request
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »

All -

Do any of you have a KJV Authorised Bible that was printed before 1953.

I am curious to note what the opening 'preface' states.

Mine printed in 1980 states the following:

Epistle and Dedicatorie

To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith , &c.

The translators of The Bible,wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Great and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almighty GOD, the Father of all Mercies, bestowed upon us the people of ENGLAND, when first he sent your Majesties Royall person to rule and raigne over us. For whereas it was the expectation of many, who wished not well unto our ZION, that upon the setting of that bright Occidentall Starre Queene ELIZABETH of most happy memory, some thicke and palpable cloudes of darkenesse would so have overshadowed this land, that men should have bene in doubt which way they were to walke, and that it should hardly be knowen, who was to direct the unsetled State: the appearance of your MAJESTIE, as of the Sunne in his strength, instantly dispelled those supposed and surmised mists, and gave unto all that were well affected, exceeding cause of comfort; especially when we beheld the government established in your HIGHNESSE, and your hopefull Seed, by an undoubted Title, and this also accompanied with Peace and tranquillitie, at home and abroad.

And what does 'Occidental Star' (occidentall Starre) actually mean.

Thank You.

Kind Regards.

George

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Unusual Request
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »

Occident means West as opposed to Orient or East.  Star refers to ruler.

The KJV translators were referring to the deceased Queen Elizabeth I as a western ruler.

cheekie3

Re: Unusual Request
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »

John from Kentucky -

Thank you for this clarification:

Occident means West as opposed to Orient or East.  Star refers to ruler.

The KJV translators were referring to the deceased Queen Elizabeth I as a western ruler.

Much Appreciated.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.