bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has This Version Changed? (Concordant Concern Print Version 2012)  (Read 4317 times)

robby.morales

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Has This Version Changed? (Concordant Concern Print Version 2012)
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:16:51 PM »

So I'm a little distressed since all of Ray's audio and written lessons reference the Concordant version at some point. I purchased the 2012 edition Old and New Testament and have found on more than one occasion a change in the way the text reads from what Ray quotes.

EXAMPLE:

E-Sword version
Gen 1:27 And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image

2012 Print Version
+So Elohim |created `.humanity in His image;

A quick disclaimer: I admit I do not understand the peculiar markings found in the print version. Nevertheless, Ray used CLV as a way to support the truth that God is still creating us in his image. This new rendering sounds like every other standard Bible translation I have ever read and makes it hard to study along with Ray.

Does anyone know why the 2012 print version of CLV is different than the ESWORD 2003 electronic version and where can I find a print edition that corroborates with what is in E-Sword?

Please help.....thank you.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Has This Version Changed? (Concordant Concern Print Version 2012)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »

Robby, don't take this as gospel.  I'm going out on a limb here, and wouldn't be disappointed to have it sawed off behind me.

But I think those markings probably have something to do with the actual verb tense in the Hebrew.

Here it is in the YLT--another "literal" translation.

Gen 1:27  And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them.

"Prepareth" sounds like present tense, but I'm not sure it is.  Anyway, it seems to me to be a different "verb tense" than "prepared" and "prepared".  Whether it would be more accurate to render it "God prepares the man" or "God is preparing the man" I just don't know.  I only notice that it's different.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I think it may bear on the answer.  Is there a "key" in the print version that explains those markings?  Maybe even a footnote?

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

robby.morales

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the reply. The | symbol indicates an incomplete verb in the word 'created' according to the key on the 2012 print version. There is no footnote to vs. 27 that I could find. Maybe that could translate into 'creating' but in all honesty I think it's a misleading rendering. When I brought this to the attention of the folks at CPC, here is what they responded with:

Hello Roberto, the e-sword translation was just a tentative translation.
No translation should be considered as "written in stone."  A.E. Knoch
said the translation can always be improved upon.
Instructions for Use begins on page 10 of the large printed OT version if
you wish to know more concerning the markings.

In His grace and peace,

Tony
CPC

Wow. I'm sorry, but that sounds like a license to change a translation in the name of 'improving'. Am I to conclude that the 2012 version is also a 'tentative translation' now that the 2015 all-in-one Old Testament has just been released by CPC? 

Thanks again for your help and insight.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:49:39 PM »

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the reply. The | symbol indicates an incomplete verb in the word 'created' according to the key on the 2012 print version. There is no footnote to vs. 27 that I could find. Maybe that could translate into 'creating' but in all honesty I think it's a misleading rendering. When I brought this to the attention of the folks at CPC, here is what they responded with:

Hello Roberto, the e-sword translation was just a tentative translation.
No translation should be considered as "written in stone."  A.E. Knoch
said the translation can always be improved upon.
Instructions for Use begins on page 10 of the large printed OT version if
you wish to know more concerning the markings.

In His grace and peace,

Tony
CPC

Wow. I'm sorry, but that sounds like a license to change a translation in the name of 'improving'. Am I to conclude that the 2012 version is also a 'tentative translation' now that the 2015 all-in-one Old Testament has just been released by CPC? 

Thanks again for your help and insight.

Yes, Robby, they did change  the newer OT translation.

However, the CLV does give a short, excellent explanation of biblical Hebrew grammar.  For example, Hebrew really has only one tense for verbs---the present tense, the here and now.  In addition, they have a couple of verb markings to indicate if the present action is complete (what we call the past tense in English) or ongoing (future tense or incomplete).

If you check the markings in the CLV, or other literal translations or interlinears, you will find the Hebrew verb markings for that verse, creates, is incomplete or future, which English translation should be creating.

Check multiple translations and you will find what Ray taught about that verse is true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.