bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did God want to kill Moses? Exodus 4:24-26  (Read 4583 times)

cheekie3

Why did God want to kill Moses? Exodus 4:24-26
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »

All -

I would like clarity as to why God wanted to kill Moses in Exodus 4:24:

KJV:
24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him. 25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. 26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

And what is the whole of Exodus 4:24-26 all about. It is a very strange saga indeed.

Thank You.

Kind Regards.

George

Nelson Boils

Re: Why did God want to kill Moses? Exodus 4:24-26
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »

I read this about a month back and I also did not understand what was happening.Perhaps we need to read the whole chapter,to understand how it got to that point.

cheekie3

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »

Job -

I read this about a month back and I also did not understand what was happening.Perhaps we need to read the whole chapter,to understand how it got to that point.

I have read the whole chapter, and I could not establish anything before or after these verses, that showed what the problem was.

It seems that God was going to kill Moses for something he did, or did not do.

Kind Regards.

George

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »

It may be as simple "why the Lord sought to kill him" as reading what happened next.

24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him. 25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me. 26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

This is an interesting translation that comes from the Greek translation of the Old Testament--the Septuagint--made by Jewish scholars close to the time of Christ.

Exo 4:25  AndG2532 Zipporah, takingG2983 G* a small sharp stone,G5586 circumcisedG4059 theG3588 foreskinG203 G3588 of her son.G5207 G1473 AndG2532 she fellG4363 atG4314 G3588 his feet,G4228 G1473 andG2532 said,G2036 [6is stoppedG2476 1TheG3588 2bloodG129 3of theG3588 4circumcisionG4061 G3588 5of my male child].G3813 G1473

Regardless, the effect of the Lord seeking to kill Moses was for Zipporah to circumcise Moses' and her son.  (Wisdom is justified of her children).

All this was during the time that the Lord was instructing Moses (in the simplest terms) on how to tell Pharaoh about the death of his first son, the entire episode seems to me to be a physical foreshadowing of that event by the circumcision of his own son.  Circumcision is a symbol of "putting to death".

That's about as far as I'm willing and able to go--right or wrong.   

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

cheekie3

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:13 AM »

Dave in Tenn -

A Very Interesting Insightful Point:

It may be as simple "why the Lord sought to kill him" as reading what happened next.

This is an interesting translation that comes from the Greek translation of the Old Testament--the Septuagint--made by Jewish scholars close to the time of Christ.

Exo 4:25  AndG2532 Zipporah, takingG2983 G* a small sharp stone,G5586 circumcisedG4059 theG3588 foreskinG203 G3588 of her son.G5207 G1473 AndG2532 she fellG4363 atG4314 G3588 his feet,G4228 G1473 andG2532 said,G2036 [6is stoppedG2476 1TheG3588 2bloodG129 3of theG3588 4circumcisionG4061 G3588 5of my male child].G3813 G1473

Regardless, the effect of the Lord seeking to kill Moses was for Zipporah to circumcise Moses' and her son.  (Wisdom is justified of her children).

All this was during the time that the Lord was instructing Moses (in the simplest terms) on how to tell Pharaoh about the death of his first son, the entire episode seems to me to be a physical foreshadowing of that event by the circumcision of his own son.  Circumcision is a symbol of "putting to death".

That's about as far as I'm willing and able to go--right or wrong.

It does not say that Zipporah circumcised Moses - as Moses had to be circumcised on the 8th day after Moses was born. Obviously Moses had not circumcised his son on the eighth day after his son was born.

Perhaps reading before Exodus 4:24 gives us the answer:

Exodus 4:23 (KJV):
And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

It appears that Zipporah knew that Moses was not going to go to Pharaoh and tell Pharaoh to let God's son (the Israelites) go, and because of this God was going to kill Moses - so Zipporah appears to have invoked the covenant that God made with Abraham by the circumcision of her firstborn son- which forced Moses to obey God and go to Pharaoh, (albeit Moses appeared to be scared to go and asked for help or someone else to go - and God sent his brother Aaron to go with Moses and speak and support him - like The Father (represented by Moses) had His Word Spoken by His Son (represented by Aaron), who Spoke on The Father's behalf).

Thank You.

Kind Regards.

George

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.